Holland America Platinum Insurance Trip Insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
The whole purpose of buying coverage was to protect both girls. Now that is all fine & good but normally I would have purchased 3rd party coverage thru The Trip Insurance store and not purchased the cruiselines TI. Because this was a inexpensive trip I decided Hal Coverage fit our needs plus I used my Chase Sapphire Reserve card which also has TI benefits.
Well I thought i was so clever but apparently not :(

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The whole purpose of buying coverage was to protect both girls. Now that is all fine & good but normally I would have purchased 3rd party coverage thru The Trip Insurance store and not purchased the cruiselines TI. Because this was a inexpensive trip I decided Hal Coverage fit our needs plus I used my Chase Sapphire Reserve card which also has TI benefits.
Well I thought i was so clever but apparently not :(
The devil is in the details but the other daughter should not have to cancel too. Some policies cover the supplement if a second or third cancels but not HALS. That’s one thing everyone who cruises needs to ensure the policy they buy has- coverage for the single supplement.

Go back to HAL and tell them you have read the policy and nowhere does it say they both need to cancel only that your other daughter has to pay the single supplement.

I still suggest you call HAL back and get them to tell you your other daughter doesn’t have to cancelher cabin too, she just has to pay the diffeyenxe between a cabin for two people and a cabin for one. I think you got someone who didn’t read the policy right.

Jul 27, 2016
The devil is in the details but the other daughter should not have to cancel too. Some policies cover the supplement if a second or third cancels but not HALS. That’s one thing everyone who cruises needs to ensure the policy they buy has- coverage for the single supplement.

Go back to HAL and tell them you have read the policy and nowhere does it say they both need to cancel only that your other daughter has to pay the single supplement.

I still suggest you call HAL back and get them to tell you your other daughter doesn’t have to cancelher cabin too, she just has to pay the diffeyenxe between a cabin for two people and a cabin for one. I think you got someone who didn’t read the policy right.
My read of the original post is that HAL would be happy to have one of them cancel if the other pays the single supplement, but that JVillegirl is objecting to that requirement...

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is what Jville asked:

After that call I will put details in writing to HAL. @Neil Maley can you take a look at HAL’s Platinum TI “CFAR” and see if I’m crazy. I just don’t see a requirement that it only applies if BOTH passengers cancel.
Help!

Both don’t have to cancel but daughter that is cruising has to pay the single supplement. She only asked if both had to cancel and the answer is no - the remaining daughter can still go but has to pay in full for the cabin as a single cruiser.

That’s how cruises always work though. The key is insurance that covers that but policies that do reimburse for single supplements generally are not cancel for any reason. You can’t have it both ways.l on most policies but I’m sure there might be a few that might offer both. Either you cancel for a covered reason to have an option of single supplement reimbursement or you have CFAR and lose that.

It’s too bad she can’t find someone else to replace the daughter that canceled.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is what you need to look for in a policy to ensure no single supplement. This is from Travel Insured but again, this is not a CFAR policy.

Single Supplement
Benefits will be paid, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount, for the additional cost incurred as a result of a change in the per person occupancy rate for Prepaid Travel Arrangements if a Traveling Companion’s or Family Member’s Trip is canceled for a covered reason and You do not cancel Your Trip.

Insuremytrio is a great place to look for policies that offer CFAR. And finding a special Cruise only policy might offer a CFAR that covers the single supplement.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
The travel policy isn't really going to help you here as the CFAR portion isn't part of the insurance, just a benefit offered by the cruise line directly.

I believe most cruise line bookings are per cabin, not passenger, as the pricing is normally based on double occupancy. To remove or change out one person from a cabin booking is normally going to require canceling the booking and rebooking a cabin at the new rate (with either another passenger or by paying the single supplement if offered). If the single supplement is less than 90% of the per passenger rate, then a refund of the would be due.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The travel policy isn't really going to help you here as the CFAR portion isn't part of the insurance, just a benefit offered by the cruise line directly.

I believe most cruise line bookings are per cabin, not passenger, as the pricing is normally based on double occupancy. To remove or change out one person from a cabin booking is normally going to require canceling the booking and rebooking a cabin at the new rate (with either another passenger or by paying the single supplement if offered). If the single supplement is less than 90% of the per passenger rate, then a refund of the would be due.
No you don’t have to cancel the cabin. Those left in the cabin can remain but have to put the full price for the cabin. Cruise lines allow you to change the name of a second or third in a cabin as long as one of the original people on the cabin remains on most cruises ‘. River cruises are sometimes exceptions.

Most also allow you to change the second or third in a cabin after final payment if you pay a fee.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I read this to mean:

If one person cancels from a two person cabin, they get their half of the cost back, but the other person needs to either pay up to the single occupant level, or cancel as well.

Again, I can completely understand why they'd have that provision in place (see my post above), but if it's not disclosed anywhere in the policy documents, then it really doesn't seem fair to try to enforce it.
Exactly ... this is what makes good business sense for HAL while still protecting their customers. A single supplement will probably be charged for that cabin unless both daughters cancel. This has got to be very disappointing to the family, but anything else opens the cruise line up to cheating and fraud. I hope I'm wrong. I'm so sorry y'all are going through this. Any possibility of one daughter being a third person in an already-booked cabin?

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
No you don’t have to cancel the cabin. Those left in the cabin can remain but have to put the full price for the cabin. Cruise lines allow you to change the name of a second or third in a cabin as long as one of the original people on the cabin remains on most cruises ‘. River cruises are sometimes exceptions.

Most also allow you to change the second or third in a cabin after final payment if you pay a fee.
Thanks Neil. I've only seen a few cases of these and each time the cruise line provided a new booking (contract) with the new passenger's name. Don't recall what the charges were at the time, though one was required to pay the current rates. This may differ from various cruise lines. In this case, if one is being removed, then the double occupancy of the cabin is not met and there may be no refund.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Only 2 people booked in this cabin and both purchased HAL’s top Travel Ins at time of booking, which features “Cancel for any reason” Coverage.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Only 2 people booked in this cabin and both purchased HAL’s top Travel Ins at time of booking, which features “Cancel for any reason” Coverage.
I understand. The daughter that cancels snd files a claim. But the daughter that is still is going now has to pay the price that a single person would pay for the cabin unless she can find someone to take the place of her sister that isn’t going. The policy with the cruise line doesn’t offer coverage for the single supplement that is going to be charged to the daughter that’s still going.

Feb 28, 2018
My HAL experience is that in all grey areas, particularly related to their insurance program, HAL financial decisions are made in favor of HAL, instead of the passenger. We continue to occasionally cruise with HAL but always purchase travel insurance from one of the major insurance companies, at higher cost than HAL policies. We don't buy "cancel for any reason or no reason" policies , and I don't know if the normal travel insurance companies offer it; the policies we buy require specific reasons ( detailed in the policy language) such as illness, injury , etc. of the passenger or close family member for cancellation.