Holland America Platinum Insurance Trip Insurance

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 21, 2014
Our family has booked a cruise for a wedding. 3 cabins booked. One of the cabins contains two daughters (adults) and each one Purchased HAL top coverage which included “Cancel for any reason” coverage. It truly is for any reason and HAL says you can cancel right up until departure and get 90% of your cost back in cash (less $99 cost of insurance)

So both girls have Platium Coverage and now one girl needs to cancel. The Cancel for any Reason coverage is “self insured thru HAL” who is now telling me the Entire booking must be cancelled not just one guest AND no money will be refunded (I’m sure port charges will) and the other passenger in the cabin who is also insured owes more $$$.

As a side note the cruise was paid for using the Chase Sapphire Resrrve card but the reason for cancelling does not appear to meet their criteria.

I have tried to figure out how to upload a link to the actual policy but can’t figure it out. Happy to email to you and someone else can post.

In reading the actual terms of “CFAR” the details are very lacking but nowhere does it say the coverage is only if both passengers cancel or nothing at all and BTW the remaining passenger owes more $$ if she wants to sail as a Single in that cabin.

Yep I’m using the phone and will call again and get a Supervisor. After that call I will put details in writing to HAL. @Neil Maley can you take a look at HAL’s Platinum TI “CFAR” and see if I’m crazy. I just don’t see a requirement that it only applies if BOTH passengers cancel.
Help!

Note: sailing is in two weeks Oct 28 and have not officially cancelled yet (must be done in writing to a particular email address)

Jul 27, 2016
Thinking about this, it's understandable why they'd put these restrictions in place. Otherwise, people could use this insurance to game the single supplement.

Here's an example:

A quick Google says HAL's single supplement is typically 150% (i.e. single pays 75% of the cost of a cabin with two occupants).

Say the double occupancy cost is $10k, so the single would be $7500. Person A wants to travel alone. So, they split a cabin with Person B, each pays the $5k, and each gets the CFAR insurance. Assume the CFAR is $500 each, so they pay $11k total.

Then, Person B (who never intended to travel anyway) cancels. They get 90% of the cruise, less $99 back, so $4400. Person A pays them $1100, so person B gets their whole $5500 back. Person A then has a whole cabin to themselves, and they've paid 5500+1100=$6600, well below the $7500 it would have cost to book the cabin as a single traveler.

THAT BEING SAID...

If HAL is going to put this restriction on the CFAR insurance, then they need to be upfront about it.

Jul 27, 2016
Do they have two separate bookings, set up to share a cabin, or is it just one booking with one payment? If the latter, then I could see how HAL could take the position that cancel means "cancel the reservation," not "cancel one of the people and refund half the price."

Nov 21, 2014
No the girls are booked under one booking, sharing a cabin, purchased on one credit card, both purchasing the CFAR Platium Travel Ins Plan. And of course Mom & Dad are ultimately on the hook here but we understand why this daughter has no choice but to cancel. If the policy would have stated that exclusion I could live with it but it does NOT.

But the fare is itemized per person and broken down. The invoice even has a link that should go to the Insurance coverage purchase but does not. Instead it takes you to an FAQ for all things cruising.

Nov 27, 2017
Hi JVillegirl, I was not aware that the CFAR had to have both passengers cancel. If I remember from my agent days, if one person cancels, the other should still have the option to enact the CFAR insurance to pay for the single supplement now so that there will not be any additional cost.

So daughter A cancels, should be able to get her port of the cruise plus port charges and taxes back through insurance. The insurance should then pay for daughter B to have to the room all to her self.

Is that not what they are telling you? I normally know that nothing can be done till after they cancel the first person, but to not have that information on hand is crazy.

Apr 4, 2017
I found this on the Holland America Website, doesn't mention both needing to cancel, but does have a note about rates should one person cancel.

Cancel for Any Reason Waiver - Provided by Holland America Line
You may cancel for any reason prior to the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line and receive reimbursement equal to 90% of the eligible amounts paid to Holland America Line. Note: CPP Platinum does not protect double-triple-quad occupancy rates should one or more members of your party cancel prior to departure.

The link is: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/pre-post-travel-cruise/cancellation-protection-plan.html

Nov 21, 2014
Sadly this is not happening. I have sent an email to the 1st CS contact point. Will reach out by phone and am also call the actual Insurance company and get the specific policy vs the generic policy on the website. The CFAR is Provided by HAL but is referanced in the policy.

Nov 21, 2014
I found this on the Holland America Website, doesn't mention both needing to cancel, but does have a note about rates should one person cancel.

You may cancel for any reason prior to the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line and receive reimbursement equal to 90% of the eligible amounts paid to Holland America Line. Note: CPP Platinum does not protect double-triple-quad occupancy rates should one or more members of your party cancel prior to departure.

The link is: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/pre-post-travel-cruise/cancellation-protection-plan.html
The actual policy itself does not make reference to the note shown above. There is no mention of this in the actual policy.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
"Not protect double....occupancy rates" is extremely vague. When I read that, I interpret it to mean that if one person cancels, they get their money back, but the remaining person(s) need to pay a higher rate, such as a single supplement.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
"Not protect double....occupancy rates" is extremely vague. When I read that, I interpret it to mean that if one person cancels, they get their money back, but the remaining person(s) need to pay a higher rate, such as a single supplement.
This is how I read it. I think you need to call back and speak to a supervisor. The third person should get their money back (which is not 100% though, it’s lesd when CFAR) but the other two in the cabin wil need to pay the new cabin cost for only two in the cabin and the policy doesn’t cover the supplement the other two will have to pay for the cabin.

I think whoever you spoke to us misreading the coverage. No where does anything in writing say the whole cabin has to cancel.

Call back or write using the contacts. I think
whoever you spoke to made an error.

Jul 27, 2016

I read this to mean:

If one person cancels from a two person cabin, they get their half of the cost back, but the other person needs to either pay up to the single occupant level, or cancel as well.

Again, I can completely understand why they'd have that provision in place (see my post above), but if it's not disclosed anywhere in the policy documents, then it really doesn't seem fair to try to enforce it.

Apr 4, 2017
That is the same way I read it. That is why I said it doesn't show that both need to cancel. However depending on what the single supplement is for that specific cruise there is always the possibility that this amount could be the same or more than the refund amount for the one person. Wondering if that is really the case and the agent with HAL just didn't phrase it well.

I read this to mean:

If one person cancels from a two person cabin, they get their half of the cost back, but the other person needs to either pay up to the single occupant level, or cancel as well.

Again, I can completely understand why they'd have that provision in place (see my post above), but if it's not disclosed anywhere in the policy documents, then it really doesn't seem fair to try to enforce it.