Hilton's 100% Satisfaction Guarantee

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 8, 2019
I have contacted several different departments at Hilton requesting exactly what their "If you are not 100% satisfied, we don't expect you to pay. That's our promise and your guarantee." covers.

I cannot get a straight answer. Even my hotel folio has this listed and well as the recording when I contact the hotel directly states, but still can not get a straight answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Can you point us to where this guarantee is so we can read it? I can only see a price match guarantee. I do see the 100% program years ago but no longer see it mentioned - maybe I am missing something.

We have company contacts on top of our pages. Your best bet is to write to them and get the answer - then you have it in black and white.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Good find. The rest of the statement says this:

We know balancing family, friends, work and other free time keeps you busy. We want to help you start your day off right. Whether you're visiting for business or pleasure, you'll always have high-quality and consistent accommodations and amenities. Enjoy a clean and fresh Hampton bed® and free Wi-Fi. Wake up each morning to our free, hot breakfast with fresh baked waffles and hearty oatmeal with toppings. Plus, you can count on friendly, helpful service and so much more. Guaranteed. If you're not satisfied, we don't expect you to pay. That's our commitment and your guarantee. That's 100% Hampton®.

So it sounds like if you don't experience high quality, consistent accommodations with clean and fresh bedding and free wi-fi, free breakfast and friendly service - then you can invoke the guarantee and they will do what they can to make it right.

Nov 8, 2019
Can you point us to where this guarantee is so we can read it? I can only see a price match guarantee. I do see the 100% program years ago but no longer see it mentioned - maybe I am missing something.

We have company contacts on top of our pages. Your best bet is to write to them and get the answer - then you have it in black and white.

I have tried writing to them directly as well as on their website - they just completely ignore the question.

From Travel Website

Here are the brands that offer published satisfaction guarantees:

Hampton Inn
Hampton Inn was one of the first brands to offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee back in 1989, celebrating its 25th anniversary this past October. The policy specifically states:
“If you’re not 100% satisfied, we don’t expect you to pay. That’s our promise and your guarantee.”
I found an interesting article published around the policy’s 10-year anniversary, noting that the guarantee has been invoked for reasons both simple (rough toilet paper) and peculiar (UFO sightings and noisy cows). The article also stated that the first 10 years saw over $6 million in free rooms given away. However, a senior VP noted that the chain was able to track more than $41 million in repeat business over that same time directly connected to the guarantee.

From Bottom of My Folio

100% Hampton Guarantee®
Making you happy makes us happy. So, if we can make your stay better, talk to any member of our team, and we'll make sure you're 100% happy. GUARANTEED.™

Nov 8, 2019
Good find. The rest of the statement says this:

We know balancing family, friends, work and other free time keeps you busy. We want to help you start your day off right. Whether you're visiting for business or pleasure, you'll always have high-quality and consistent accommodations and amenities. Enjoy a clean and fresh Hampton bed® and free Wi-Fi. Wake up each morning to our free, hot breakfast with fresh baked waffles and hearty oatmeal with toppings. Plus, you can count on friendly, helpful service and so much more. Guaranteed. If you're not satisfied, we don't expect you to pay. That's our commitment and your guarantee. That's 100% Hampton®.

So it sounds like if you don't experience high quality, consistent accommodtions with clean and fresh bedding and free wi-fi, free breakfast and friendly service - then you can invoke the guarantee.

We tried invoking the guarantee at the hotel directly. They told us it is up to each location's manager's discretion. When contacting corporate - no response.

May 30, 2019
In regards to the above posts, the guarantee-language is specific to the Hampton Inn brand and doesn't apply to the other Hilton brands.

@dhaskell, I'm a long-term Hilton Honors Diamond customer. I've had to invoke the guarantee a few times & learned a few things, i.e. you are less likely to get a full refund if you report a physical problem that is not resolved; more likely to get a credit for a meal (vs full stay) if the issue was with the meal. If you describe the issue you had and with which brand, I may be able to make some suggestions.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have tried writing to them directly as well as on their website - they just completely ignore the question.

From Travel Website

Hampton Inn
Hampton Inn was one of the first brands to offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee back in 1989, celebrating its 25th anniversary this past October. The policy specifically states:
“If you’re not 100% satisfied, we don’t expect you to pay. That’s our promise and your guarantee.”
I found an interesting article published around the policy’s 10-year anniversary, noting that the guarantee has been invoked for reasons both simple (rough toilet paper) and peculiar (UFO sightings and noisy cows). The article also stated that the first 10 years saw over $6 million in free rooms given away. However, a senior VP noted that the chain was able to track more than $41 million in repeat business over that same time directly connected to the guarantee.

From Bottom of My Folio
100% Hampton Guarantee®
Making you happy makes us happy. So, if we can make your stay better, talk to any member of our team, and we'll make sure you're 100% happy. GUARANTEED.™
Did you use OUR company contacts that were posted in post #3?

The way it’s worded leaves it totally open to interpretation. Some people frankly are nit pickers and difficult and some impossible to please or would deliberately do something to try to invoke a refund. The way this is worded leaves the hotel open to not having to refund if the complainer is unreasonable.

This is how to write:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

What was the problem you had?

Sep 19, 2015

From Travel Website

Hampton Inn

From Bottom of My Folio
100% Hampton Guarantee®
The travel website is a blog post from the pointsguy from April 2015 --

I believe the link that VoR61 is an older version of the website --

Now the website reads:

Happiness Guaranteed
Making you happy makes us happy. So, if we can make your stay better, talk to any member of our team, and we'll make sure you're 100% happy. GUARANTEED™.

I believe it changed around 2017 according to a frequent travelers forum -- the we do not expect you to pay has been dropped

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hil...inn-don-t-pay-guarantees-quietly-dropped.html

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Actually, Christina, the bottom of the Hampton Inn site above says "©2019 Hilton", so it IS current. But as that site says, the "guarantee" is for Hampton only. Even so, I find the language to be quite vague, and could easily be open to interpretation.

So, as with other hotels and hotel chains, it's best I think to request a full-or-partial refund based upon the issues encountered, and then escalate as needed . . .

Sep 19, 2015
Actually, Christina, the bottom of the Hampton Inn site above says "©2019 Hilton", so it IS current. But as that site says, the "guarantee" is for Hampton only. Even so, I find the language to be quite vague, and could easily be open to interpretation.

So, as with other hotels and hotel chains, it's best I think to request a full-or-partial refund based upon the issues encountered, and then escalate as needed . . .
Very strange VoR61, because when I go through the link and refresh, I get the "new guarantee". I would not be surprised if the chain is ahem changing the text of the guarantee.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Well it doesn't say you will get your money back anymore - that is what I found in the older posts. Now they just want the opportunity to make it right which is a fair promise. And that is fair in the case of people who are just looking to take advantage of a non issue.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

From Travel Website

Hampton Inn

From Bottom of My Folio
100% Hampton Guarantee®
What travel web site are you referring to? There are some old stories out there that seem to not be what the current guarantee is. Nothing in the current wording says you will get your money back - just that they want to make you happy. If this was back from 2015 - they apparently have changed the program since. If it isn't on the Hilton website - it isn't current. The policy as shown says nothing about money back - just they are guaranteeing the things they mention - "Making you happy makes us happy. So, if we can make your stay better, talk to any member of our team, and we'll make sure you're 100% happy. GUARANTEED™. "

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We tried invoking the guarantee at the hotel directly. They told us it is up to each location's manager's discretion. When contacting corporate - no response.
What was the problem you had? Was your room dirty? Did you get a hot breakfast? Were the employees nasty? Did you report the issues to management and give them a chance to fix it?

As you found with the ridiculous claims that you cited - this is why they don't give money back anymore. Because of those who
took advantage of the program.

Mar 14, 2018
Well it doesn't say you will get your money back anymore - that is what I found in the older posts. Now they just want the opportunity to make it right which is a fair promise. And that is fair in the case of people who are just looking to take advantage of a non issue.
If you search for a Hampton hotel on the site and then click on "About Hampton by Hilton", you reach the page that VoR61 originally posted. It does still have the text, "If you're not satisfied, we don't expect you to pay. That's our commitment and your guarantee."

They don't qualify that anywhere, so I think it needs to be taken at face value. It certainly leaves Hampton vulnerable to people who want to take advantage. However, in my experience, language like that would NEVER be published without executive and legal review, so presumably they considered the consequences when they instituted the guarantee.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Since this Guarantee seems to only apply to the Hampton Inn brand can you confirm this is the brand you had the issue with? What exactly was the issue.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you search for a Hampton hotel on the site and then click on "About Hampton by Hilton", you reach the page that VoR61 originally posted. It does still have the text, "If you're not satisfied, we don't expect you to pay. That's our commitment and your guarantee."

They don't qualify that anywhere, so I think it needs to be taken at face value. It certainly leaves Hampton vulnerable to people who want to take advantage. However, in my experience, language like that would NEVER be published without executive and legal review, so presumably they considered the consequences when they instituted the guarantee.
The best bet is for the OP to write to the executive contacts one by one and attempt to get an answer from one of them. They need to be specific that it is found only on Hampton’s website and that they are asking for a definition. I have a feeling it might never be answered for fear by the company of opening up a can of worms by defining what it means.

If the OP has a problem at a Hampton Inn and they do not abide by this - that’s a complaint to his or hers Attorney General about false advertising. But without knowing what his or her issue was, how it was handled at the hotel - did management try to fix whatever the problem was - we can't really advise anything other than him or her writing.

Sep 19, 2015
I'm pretty sure it was, since in post 5 the OP said his bill had the "100% Hampton Guarantee" at the bottom.
The OP quoted the folio as saying:

100% Hampton Guarantee®

Note that the "100%" is a trademark..... which does not say much about refund