Hilton HHonors App Misinformation Marketing

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 21, 2016
[Submitted via http://elliott.org/help/ on 12/21/2016 and I was asked to post here]
I started using the HHonors app more frequently this year because I find the website is not particularly user friendly. They started running a promotion in November for double points when you reserve using the app, and in December it was raised to triple points. There was no information about anything the consumer/member had to do besides make the reservation in order to earn the bonus points. So - in November I made one reservation for Los Angeles and in December, another for Philadelphia.

I just received my points activity for my LA stay this past weekend (12/16-12/18/2016) and am not seeing the double points. Today, 12/21/2016 at about 10:40am, I called and Tina, the guest assistant, said there is nothing she can do, that I had to sign up for the promotion. However, in November and through today there is NOTHING that the company does to make that obvious or easy for the consumer. What comes to my mind is what Starbucks often does with their Star Dash - they are up front - if you want to participate, they offer a button to click and everything is very clear to the customer. Tina claimed that it was stated clearly on the website that you have to sign up. Except that entirely defies logic! If I'm using the app to reserve, perhaps exclusively, then I never see the information on the website. Further - on the app where the promotion is touted - when you open the app it says "Now earn triple points" (bright blue all caps font) "Only when you book in the Hilton HHonors app" (bright white all caps font). "Terms apply at Hhonors.com/tripleup" (tiny non bold normal upper cap start, lower cap remainder font and NOT hotlinked - so the user has to remember the url and leave the app and type it in!).

Tina went onto the app on her end and said I needed to go to "offers" to sign up. Can you tell me where in the quoted information that was made clear to the consumer? There is a "Find offers" link - which I went to while on the phone with her, but that takes you to what looks like only vacation packages - you have to scroll from:
  • family fun package,
  • to leisure escapes,
  • to aaa/caa family fun offer,
  • to park, stay, and go,
  • to military family rate,
  • to weekend getaway,
  • to 2X points package,
  • to aarp member family fun,
  • FINALLY you get to "now earn triple points".

Honestly, I had gone to this link in the past when I was reserving, but given the first offers you see are about vacation packages, I dismissed it and closed the page. When you finally get to and click on "now earn triple points" you get a popup that states "Offers You are about to be taken outside of the application to view the Hotels that participate in the selected Offer". Um. OK. So I clicked on OK. Hilton's app, again, instead of doing what it says it will do, takes you to a page that directs you to "Register below then stay at any hotel now through January 31, 2017. You'll earn Double Points when you book at Hilton.com OR Triple Points when you book through the Hilton HHonors app". Are you as confused as I am now? I think it's disgraceful that HiltonHHonors makes the members jump through so many hoops for something they are actively promoting. Plus they say that it's for hotels that participate, but then say its for any hotel...

What is your desired resolution?
When I booked my Los Angeles hotel in November, I honestly think the offer was for double points on the app. Because I remember being surprised to see the change to triple points when I booked my Philadelphia hotel. I will be happy to receive double base points for my LA stay, even happier to receive triple points. Also I want Hilton HHonors to fix their app! It borders on bait and switch but definitely smacks of poor customer service and irresponsible app programming. Tina, the guest assistant, told me that she could not do anything to resolve the points for me and that there was 'nobody there' for her to escalate the issue to. That there was nothing that could be done because I had not signed up for the promotion before the reservation. But we all know (and I, as a part time programmer, know) that it's just a few button clicks for someone in charge to override. But Tina did not want to help me and basically blocked any remediation from her perspective.

How were you notified of the promotions? If it was by email I've gotten those Hhonors notifications, too, and each time I've had to click a button in the email to activate my participation in the promotion. Don't know if you had the opportunity to do this or not.

Michelle Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
The link that you provided takes you to a page for the promotion. In two places on that page it says "Click here to register for this promotion" and "Sign in to your account to register for this promotion" And on the app, when I look at that promotion a big blue banner crosses the screen that says "Register below then stay at any hotel now through Jan 17, 2017" Are you saying that you didn't realize that you had to register for the promotion to qualify?

If that is the case, you should use our company contacts for Hilton and write a short, polite letter and explain your confusion and ask that they consider your request to retroactively register for the promotion. http://elliott.org/company-contacts/hilton/

Dec 21, 2016
How were you notified of the promotions? If it was by email I've gotten those Hhonors notifications, too, and each time I've had to click a button in the email to activate my participation in the promotion. Don't know if you had the opportunity to do this or not.
No - I never received an email The only way I knew about it was for the slit second my brain acknowledged and processed the information I read on the home page of the app when I went into it. I usually go straight from the home page to the reservations page.

Dec 21, 2016
The link that you provided takes you to a page for the promotion. In two places on that page it says "Click here to register for this promotion" and "Sign in to your account to register for this promotion" And on the app, when I look at that promotion a big blue banner crosses the screen that says "Register below then stay at any hotel now through Jan 17, 2017" Are you saying that you didn't realize that you had to register for the promotion to qualify?
Thanks Michelle - here's the thing - I'm not confused. They did a poor job of communicating what needs to be done to be eligible for the promotion. The truth of the matter is, the way it is presented it seems all you have to do is make the reservation via the app and everything will work seemlessly on the backend via programming. Instead, they want to uptick the use of their app (someone has an agenda) and don't care if you get the points and maybe even hope you'll forget about it by the time you check your status. They definitely changed the offer between November and December - I only wish I'd taken a screenshot then. Here's the current screenshots - one is the homepage showing the offer, the second is the offer page showing the popup after you click on the offer page. I get no blue banner and no notice of needing to sign up for the offer until I *leave* the app by clicking on OK.

Well - forget that - the forum won't let me upload jpegs. ugh

Dec 21, 2016
If that is the case, you should use our company contacts for Hilton and write a short, polite letter and explain your confusion and ask that they consider your request to retroactively register for the promotion. http://elliott.org/company-contacts/hilton/
Swift resolution indeed! I emailed the first 3 names on the Hilton exec contact list provided by Michelle - they all seemed appropriate contacts. I basically used the text I had posted originally, but softened it a bit per Michelle's recommendation. Within 2 hours I received a response from someone in "Executive Customer Relations".

"I am responding on behalf of our Executive Officers at Hilton Worldwide regarding the HHonors application and promotion challenges that you experienced when booking your stay at the Doubletree Los Angeles Downtown, CA 12/16-18, 2016.Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

After reviewing your concerns, I can certainly understand your disappointment and frustration. Clearly, we have not met your expectations and I do apologize for your experience. A formal complaint file has been created and your comments and concerns regarding the HHonors Application functionality will be reviewed by the relevant leadership. As a result of this inconvenience, I will honor your request for the additional points, as I can see how this may have bee confusing. Please accept my apologies for this experience. I am adding XXXX bonus points to your account. Your new point balance is XXXXX.

Ms. Hoepner, your voice is critical to acting on our areas of opportunity and I appreciate you sharing your experience with us. Service Excellence is a key focus to building and maintaining our customer base and we, humbly, thank you for choosing to stay at our Brands for your personal and professional travels!"

YAY! Thank you Christopher Elliott for making this forum and having these advocates to help the consumer! :D

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Swift resolution indeed! I emailed the first 3 names on the Hilton exec contact list provided by Michelle - they all seemed appropriate contacts. I basically used the text I had posted originally, but softened it a bit per Michelle's recommendation. Within 2 hours I received a response from someone in "Executive Customer Relations".

"I am responding on behalf of our Executive Officers at Hilton Worldwide regarding the HHonors application and promotion challenges that you experienced when booking your stay at the Doubletree Los Angeles Downtown, CA 12/16-18, 2016.Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

After reviewing your concerns, I can certainly understand your disappointment and frustration. Clearly, we have not met your expectations and I do apologize for your experience. A formal complaint file has been created and your comments and concerns regarding the HHonors Application functionality will be reviewed by the relevant leadership. As a result of this inconvenience, I will honor your request for the additional points, as I can see how this may have bee confusing. Please accept my apologies for this experience. I am adding XXXX bonus points to your account. Your new point balance is XXXXX.

Ms. Hoepner, your voice is critical to acting on our areas of opportunity and I appreciate you sharing your experience with us. Service Excellence is a key focus to building and maintaining our customer base and we, humbly, thank you for choosing to stay at our Brands for your personal and professional travels!"

YAY! Thank you Christopher Elliott for making this forum and having these advocates to help the consumer! :D
Very happy that Hilton did the right thing here, Lori. I don't use my phone for booking, but on the computer the procedure of signing up for any HHonors promotion is crystal clear. Your complaint has given Hilton a chance to correct their app if it's not presenting clear instructions. I am a loyal Hilton traveller, and am very glad that they took care of your problem.

In the future, when contemplating a promotion, read all the information carefully on a computer which has the larger screen and can present more data. We've seen cases of phone apps which do not display properly ... hotels, car rentals, airlines, etc. But common sense tells you that an offer of double or triple points would not be given to everyone, only those HH members who register for it.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My problem with the Hilton app is as a gold level elite they hound you to check in online and to use the app as a room key but then you stil need to stop at the front desk to show ID.

Wth?
I know, Joe, it's laughable. But do we really want just anyone roaming the halls trying to open rooms with their phone? I see this as a Hilton marketing gimmick ... fun to fool with but rather useless in real life.

Michelle Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
Well - forget that - the forum won't let me upload jpegs. ugh
I am very glad to hear of Hilton's quick resolution for you... Also I think our technical support has corrected the glitch so we should be able to upload files to posts again. I am doing a little test upload to see if it works now.

Yay, it worked!

Attachments