Hilton Grand Vacations Club

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 11, 2019
We have been loyal HGVC owners since 2005. Our home base is Waikaloa on Hawaii.

In late October my husband called Hilton Grand Vacations Club and requested a 3 night reservation in New York for a 1BR suite for Dec. 11, 12 and 13. The representative explained these dates were not available and he should call again within the required 45 day window to try for a reservation around this time period. He was subsequently able to reach an operator and made a reservation for 1 night on Dec. 16 for about 3600 HGVC points. When he asked about the other 2 nights of the requested 3 day reservation the representative said the 16th was the earliest date he could get that was within the window and the Dec. 17 and 18 could only be booked on subsequent days, that he should go on line or call at midnight the next day or at 8am Monday respectively to obtain the next night. There was a charge of $80 for the reservation he had made. He checked on-line at 12:01am for the next night’s reservation and noticed the 17th appeared no longer available. He initially thought perhaps the website had not yet automatically advanced the 44 day window availability and availability was not yet being shown for the 17th. When he checked on-line later he noticed the 17th was really unavailable but the 18th still was, So what to do on the night of the 17th? Finally he decided a split-up reservation was not convenient for us and he canceled the reservation on-line. He also called and spoke to a representative who said our points would be returned (they were) but not the $80 reservation fee that had been charged to our account. This is not fair as he had followed the instructions to make the subsequent reservations and should not be charged if HGVC is unable to provide the required dates.

1. We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get a reservation. (Having to call at midnight is preposterous if not bizarre. Especially so when our efforts failed.)
2. We had planned to take close friends with us. They were definitely turned off considering becoming HGVC owners when we told them of the difficulty in booking and the effrontery of being charged the $80 booking fee even though we weren't able to book.
3. Please also note we tried to be amenable by agreeing to 2nd choice dates.

We hope HGVC will reconcile this situation by refunding my husband the $80 "non" reservation fee.

Gail Cunard

Sep 19, 2015
NYC in mid December is exceptionally high season. People come from around the world for the Christmas shopping and such. I know I live in NYC.

Calling first thing for limited availability is not unheard of, whether it is midnight or 5 am.

I am not a fan of vacation clubs. What are the terms and conditions of cancellations.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Does this vacation club guarantee all dates will be available? That’s high season in NYC. Are there blackout dates? From what I researched there are no guarantees on dates- they are on an as is basis.

We need to see your terms and conditions of your agreements.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm sorry your visit to Manhattan didn't happen. The $80 res fee you paid was for the res your husband made. Had he made subsequent reservations for the 17th & 18th, no doubt there would have been another $80 res fee. So they'll not just refund it. It will take a little extra on your part. Compose a concise, polite email to Customer Service and explain what happened. Request the refund as a gesture of good will. Take responsibility for making the reservation too early, when you couldn't ascertain the availability of the other two nights.

I'm not a fan of these kinds of clubs either. I'm an HH diamond person, and just this morning I got an offer to join this HGVC ... and they'd give me half a million HH points! They're still very actively selling this concept, and things must not be going swimmingly. I'm very glad that you're happy with your membership and using it often.

Jan 11, 2019
I'm sorry your visit to Manhattan didn't happen. The $80 res fee you paid was for the res your husband made. Had he made subsequent reservations for the 17th & 18th, no doubt there would have been another $80 res fee. So they'll not just refund it. It will take a little extra on your part. Compose a concise, polite email to Customer Service and explain what happened. Request the refund as a gesture of good will. Take responsibility for making the reservation too early, when you couldn't ascertain the availability of the other two nights.

I'm not a fan of these kinds of clubs either. I'm an HH diamond person, and just this morning I got an offer to join this HGVC ... and they'd give me half a million HH points! They're still very actively selling this concept, and things must not be going swimmingly. I'm very glad that you're happy with your membership and using it often.
Thanks for your response. I did send a polite letter to the top honcho, as per Elliott Advocacy advice, on Jan 11. It is now the 17th and no response. Hmmmm? Ps "take responsibility ..." we followed HGVC associate's instructions to the letter. If we were at fault by trying to reserve too early then we received bad advice from HGVC personnel.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks for your response. I did send a polite letter to the top honcho, as per Elliott Advocacy advice, on Jan 11. It is now the 17th and no response. Hmmmm? Ps "take responsibility ..." we followed HGVC associate's instructions to the letter. If we were at fault by trying to reserve too early then we received bad advice from HGVC personnel.
Our advice is to start at the bottom of the executive list, not the top. If the CEO says no- you have no one to appeal to.

Please read this post on how to write:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Jan 11, 2019
Wow Elliott Advocacy you did it again! As per your instructions I wrote a polite letter to the top Honcho at HGVC with no response. On your advice I went to the second in command and withing 36 hours I received a nice letter advising that we were to be refunded the $80 "non" reservation fee. It was a just decision on the part of HGVC and a lesson we learned not to book unless we had the entire reservation dates and not try to get them one day at a time.