Hilton Garden $250 Charge that is Fraud

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 15, 2018
Hi,
I received $250 "smoking charge" from the Hilton Garden Inn in Shelton phone number 603-896-6000. Shelton, CT. and I don't smoke. I was looking on my credit card statement and it just appeared there below the original charge of $93.35 for the room. I did check in to the hotel on 1/14/18 and we (my son and I) left on 1/15/18. Shelton ID # xxxxxxxxxx. Is this a new way for Hotels to make money?

The Hilton Garden never contacted me, never said a word they just added it to my credit card, thank god I looked. Anyway I thought at first someone stole my card, I called Citibank and told them someone must have stolen my card number and they issued me a new one. I told them that this $250.00 is fraudulent and Citibank said they will take it off.

Today 3/14/18, I receive an e-mail from Citibank that Hilton Garden is trying to be reimbursed for the $250.00. I should not be penalized for someone else smoking.

I think what really got the Hilton Garden mad is that I complained about the housekeeping walking into our room while we were sleeping, so maybe that is why they are aggravating me.

I would like the Hilton to stop trying to charge me for a fraudulent charge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you call the hotel to dispute the charge? Does your son smoke and perhaps smoked outside? Sometimes we’ve seen this happen when a smoker smokes outside and their clothing has the odor of smoke on the clothing.

Your first call should be to the hotel to dispute it and allow them the chance to remove the charge. If that doesn’t work, we have a tab on top of our pages that says Company Contacts. That tells you how to use our contacts to escalate a problem. We have contacts for Hilton in our hotel tab and you can ask them to remove th charge.

Good luck and let us know if that works.

Mar 15, 2018
Hi Thank you for getting back to me Neil.
I did contact the Hilton Garden in Shelton and I was hung up on, not once but twice.
Neither my son or I smoke. My son has asthma so I try to be very careful about where we stay. No one in our room smoked.
Its sad because we were looking forward to going back to that hotel, however we will not now...
Sandy

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would call once more and get the names of EVERYONE you speak to starting with the person that answers the phone. Nicely ask for the manager and if they ask what it’s about, say it’s personal. See if you can get the manager in the phone.

If you get nowhere or get hung up on then you go to the contacts we have at Hilton and write. The more names and dates and times you have documented that you tried to straighten this out the more you are giving the corporate offices to go back really the hotel with.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
The key to contacting the HIlton is to be VERY polite and just confused as to how they got your reservation confused with another guest. Remember neither guest in your room is a smoker so you are sure this is just an honest mistake. Accusing HIlton of theft or berating the person on the phone will not help your cause.

Mar 15, 2018
I do believe it is some sort of mistake, and if someone is smoking, in a no smoking room they should pay for it. Sad that its on my shoulders. :(

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I do believe it is some sort of mistake, and if someone is smoking, in a no smoking room they should pay for it. Sad that its on my shoulders. :(
Call them back! Be concerned and polite, it’s unfortunate you have already disputed the charge but I certainly understand. I will say that the minute you mentioned “ Son” I thought, aha! So say neither guest is a smoker and leave the word Son out of your story unless he is 8yrs old (not a teen or young adult).
Anyway it’s a mistake and they obviously confused your room with another guest as “we” do not smoke and didn’t even go anywhere that had smokers. In other words you could not have brought the smell back on your clothing either.

Good luck but you need to start over, no accusations of theft just a simple mistake needing to be corrected!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Why am I not surprised that the same hotel whose people hung up on you twice threw in a smoking penalty after you checked out? The place must be run by a real dork. And, sadly, hotels have started padding their bottom lines with these bogus charges. You will get your money back, and JVille is correct ... polite but firm will win the day. It just takes time and patience ... and persistence! Remember that most people get fed up with the run-around and give up. They'll string you along as far as possible, but your CC should protect you.

Mar 15, 2018
I sent a letter to Mr. Veloddi, Mr. Ramsey never did contact me.

Hello Mr. Vellodi,
I reached out to Mr. Ramsey and I have not heard back from him. I thought it best to e-mail you about the problem I am having with The Hilton Garden Inn in Shelton, CT. Unfortunately, they are trying to charge me for smoking but they have the wrong person (please see below).
Can you please contact me about this issue?
Thank you so much,
Sandra Hetzel

Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2018 11:12 AM
To: joshua.ramsey@hilton.com
Subject: I need your assistance please
Dear Mr. Ramsey,
It was suggested that I reach out to you from Elliot’s Consumer Advocates http://forum.elliott.org/threads/hilton-garden-250-charge-that-is-fraud.7756/#post-79520
I received $250 "smoking charge" from the Hilton Garden Inn in Shelton phone number 603-896-6000. Shelton, CT. and I don't smoke. I was looking on my credit card statement and it just appeared there below the original charge of $93.35 for the room. I did check in to the hotel on 1/14/18 and we (my son and I) left on 1/15/18. Shelton ID # 3410415778.

The Hilton Garden never contacted me, never said a word they just added it to my credit card, thank god I looked. Anyway I thought at first someone stole my card, I called Citibank and told them someone must have stolen my card number and they issued me a new one. I told them that this $250.00 is fraudulent and Citibank said they will take it off.

Today 3/14/18, I receive an e-mail from Citibank that Hilton Garden is trying to be reimbursed for the $250.00. I should not be penalized for someone else smoking.

I think what really got the Hilton Garden mad is that I complained about the housekeeping walking into our room while we were sleeping, so maybe that is why they are aggravating me.

I would like the Hilton to stop trying to charge me for a fraudulent charge.
Can you please assist me?
Thank you so much,
Sandra Hetzel

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Here is my suggestion:

I stayed at your Hilton Garden Inn in Shelton, CT on Jan. 14, checking out Jan. 15, reservation number xxxxx.

On XX/xx I noticed a charge of $250 to my credit card. When I called to ask what it was, I was told it was a smoking charge.

I do not smoke and my son who was with me is severely asthmatic and does not smoke either. I requested that the charge be removed since is is obviously an error and have been denied. I can state without a doubt there were no cigarettes or smoking items in that room.

I did file a complaint with the hotel about housekeeping entering my room when I was still asleep with a Do Not Disturb sign on the door and I sincerely hope this false accusation has nothing to do with that.

I respectfully request that you contact the hotel and see if you can get this charge removed.

Respectfully,

Get rid of references to Elliott, it makes no difference in the scheme of things. Facts only.

You DID have the Do Not Disturb sign on the door, correct?