Hertz scam to rip off clients in Germany

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 13, 2019
Hi there
We hired a car at Hertz,Konstanz, Germany.
Booked from Australia.
Received 2 x confirmation.
When we arrived,been told, that they don't have the size car I booked and paid for.
After 1 hour, and me declining to accept a Fiat 500 (2sizes smaller than booked).
We finally got our car!but been told, actually another client has booked this car for later!!!
Anyway,had a quick look around,no major damage,signed and off we went.
On return,owner is a blonde "lady"!,She insisted that we are not allowed to come outside while she quickly will check the car.
She did not check the car where we parked, she drove the car away, and returned 20 to 30mins later.
Told us that we damaged the car.
Now we were allowed to walk out of her office.about 30meters,next to a hoist, she wedged the car between a trailer and another car.
Then she pointed a scratch on the wheel.
We said that we didn't do that.
Long story short, we got a bill of about $750!!!!!
Luckily I did cancel my ccback in Australia.so they could not just take the money out.
Strange is when you read the reviews for this dealer, it is apparent that many clients report very similar things.one client got charged for a scratch under the car, because he has not checked under the car when he picked up the car.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you take pictures of the car at pick up and when you brought it back before the woman took off with it? If you had, you would have proof that the damage wasn’t there.

However, we have a process to follow for these false claims that results in nearly every claim being dropped.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.9703/

Follow this and start writing to Hertz using our company contacts.

Feb 3, 2017
Canceling a credit card does not just make a charge vanish; if your bank concludes this was a legitimate charge, you will be billed for it even the credit card has been canceled.

Since you didn't take photos when you arrived back to drop off the car, this may be a challenge but you could request a copy of the paying for this damage at least to see that it did, indeed, cost what they say it cost when you begin to write to the company contacts listed here.

Shame you had no photos. Always take them when you pick up the car and right when you drop it off - even if photos don't show the date/time on it, that information is stored inside the camera (or camera phone). I always make sure I have one of the employees with me signing off on everything when picking it up and when going over it (and taking photos) when I drop them off - too much potential for shady practices to occur

Good luck with your appeal. Does seem suspect for her to drive off with it for so long

Apr 13, 2019
Hi there
As mentioned before, hertz in Konstanz, Germany, scams customers when they return rental cars in my opinion.
When I returned my car,blonde lady owner, drove my car away, 20to30 mins, she came back and showed damage on tyre.approx AU$750!!
I like to know if this goes to court, Would I have to pay just my legal costs or for hertz legal cost as well

Sep 19, 2015
Hi there
As mentioned before, hertz in Konstanz, Germany, scams customers when they return rental cars in my opinion.
When I returned my car,blonde lady owner, drove my car away, 20to30 mins, she came back and showed damage on tyre.approx AU$750!!
I like to know if this goes to court, Would I have to pay just my legal costs or for hertz legal cost as well
If suit is filed in Germany it depends on the outcome--

1. Germany operates under the “loser pays” system. The losing party bears court costs and their opponent’s attorney fees. Costs may be split if both parties lose in part.
    Only statutory attorney fees and reasonable expenses will be reimbursed. The statutory fees are tied to the amount in dispute. In large or complex commercial cases, the actual legal fees incurred may be much higher than the statutory fees. The difference is usually not recoverable from the opposing party.

a nice overview of the legal system in Germany

https://globalarbitrationreview.com/jurisdiction/1005013/germany

Apr 13, 2019
If suit is filed in Germany it depends on the outcome--

1. Germany operates under the “loser pays” system. The losing party bears court costs and their opponent’s attorney fees. Costs may be split if both parties lose in part.
    Only statutory attorney fees and reasonable expenses will be reimbursed. The statutory fees are tied to the amount in dispute. In large or complex commercial cases, the actual legal fees incurred may be much higher than the statutory fees. The difference is usually not recoverable from the opposing party.

a nice overview of the legal system in Germany

https://globalarbitrationreview.com/jurisdiction/1005013/germany
Thank you very much for your reply

Apr 13, 2019
Thank you very much for your reply.
Since I believe that I returned the car in a ok condition and owner drove car away for half hour.
I believe hertz needs to show me what happened to the car in that time, since dealer did not allow me to go out with her to check car

Sep 19, 2015
Thank you very much for your reply.
Since I believe that I returned the car in a ok condition and owner drove car away for half hour.
I believe hertz needs to show me what happened to the car in that time, since dealer did not allow me to go out with her to check car
When you returned the car did you get a receipt and did the return person say anything? Why was the car driven away for 20 to 30 mins after return?

Apr 13, 2019
Hi there
The lady came back and asked us to come out now to show us damage on the vehicle.
She parked the car approx.50meters away, between a trailer and another car.
Showed us there a scratch on the back wheel.
We said that was not done by us etc.
She said, we will see if hertz will charge us or not.

Apr 13, 2019
When you returned the car did you get a receipt and did the return person say anything? Why was the car driven away for 20 to 30 mins after return?
there
The lady came back and asked us to come out now to show us damage on the vehicle.
She parked the car approx.50meters away, between a trailer and another car.
Showed us there a scratch on the back wheel.
We said that was not done by us etc.
She said, we will see if hertz will charge us or not