Hertz rental

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 19, 2018
I have had multiple issues with Hertz rentals in Europe over the past years (grossly exaggerated damage charges, undisclosed dynamic currency conversion at very unfavorable rates, etc). My contacts with Hertz corporate in the US and customer service in France were less than satisfying. However I escalated to Hertz International by first emailing Michel Taride with a response from his Executive Assistant Lynn Perrini (lperrini@hertz.com) who the sent me to Barry Cooney at Hertz Executive Customer services in the UK or Ireland (CRDUKONE@hertz.com)who was very responsive. In the 2014 case it took over 4 months to get a satisfactory outcome but in 2016 I went directly to him and was immediately reimbursed for the bogus charges. I do not know if they are both still at Hertz International but I would suggest that you try them.

Jan 6, 2018
Hello All,
I am back from another trip and yes I rented a car (not from Hertz). I appreciate all the input from everyone and I understand that some countries are the exception to the rule, (Israel and northern Ireland). However, I have driven in these countries and I was covered there as well. No problems at all until I got to the Hertz counter in Germany. I have found it to be a learning experience, and I will use that knowledge to NEVER rent from Hertz again.
I will stop wasting my time with this as I am sure nothing will ever come of it, I have a trip every month for the rest of the year, not one Dollar or Hertz car :) Time to move on!
Take care and happy travels!
Robert

Jun 7, 2018
Hello,
I contacted Hertz rental car through their consumer care line, but that went nowhere. Then I used the contacts you list on your website, twice, I wrote to a Mr. Benzal, and then a Mr. Crum. Neither responded to my letters.

I will tell you what happened...

I rented a car from Dollar for $265 in Munich Germany and was happy with the price, I arrived at the Dollar rental car counter no one was there. The Hertz counter said they would help me. They did, but that is where it went all wrong.

The counter agent told me my credit card would not cover the insurance on the car. I assured them it would, as it has for years. They told me I need a specific credit card to be able to waive the insurance. (I still have the paper he gave me) I found this to be unbelievable as I have rented in many countries and never heard of such a policy.

After giving them another card that they said they needed (platinum MasterCard) they then said it would not cover the insurance. Round and round it went. My rental was a good deal, but with the addition of the mandatory insurance it added nearly 500 dollars!

Then to make matters worse I was told the car I had made a reservation for was not available, so they had to give me some other car, admittedly it was a better car, and an upgrade, but I am sure this only added to the cost of the mandatory insurance.

After contacting Hertz customer service I basically got a "those are the breaks, you need the right card" answer. Also heard "It is says on the website that 'special rental conditions may apply' ". When I wrote back telling them I did have the right kind of credit card and it was rejected, forcing me to buy the very expensive and totally unnecessary insurance, I heard no response.
It would have been nice to know this "special conditions" part of the rental before I left home. I would have gotten the specific card they say would cover the VERY expensive insurance.

Is this a common occurrence? Have you heard of this before? As I said I travel a lot (149 countries so far) and have never been treated like this from any rental agency. Needless to say this has put me off using Hertz and Dollar in the future.

The card they rejected is still in use by the way.

Thank you for your time.
Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. A similar thing happened to me in April 2018 when I rented from Hertz/Thrifty in Frankfurt Airport. They charged me an extra $434 for insurance that I told them I do not need because it's covered by my credit card. I have contacted Hertz 3 times with no response and my credit card company said they cannot help me. I travel to Germany frequently and have never had this happen to me before. I will never rent from Hertz/Thrifty again in any country.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. A similar thing happened to me in April 2018 when I rented from Hertz/Thrifty in Frankfurt Airport. They charged me an extra $434 for insurance that I told them I do not need because it's covered by my credit card. I have contacted Hertz 3 times with no response and my credit card company said they cannot help me. I travel to Germany frequently and have never had this happen to me before. I will never rent from Hertz/Thrifty again in any country.
What does your copy of the confirmation show? Did you sign to decline the insurance or did you initial the box approving the insurance? If you declined it, you should be able to file a dispute with your credit card company.

INSIST on getting a copy of the rental agreement you sign.

To avoid bogus damage claims, take picture of the car when you pick it up and drop it off and hang on to them.

We have a story in the car rental boards on how to protect yourself when renting a car and also on what to do if you receive a damage claim.