Hertz rental

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 6, 2018
Hello,
I contacted Hertz rental car through their consumer care line, but that went nowhere. Then I used the contacts you list on your website, twice, I wrote to a Mr. Benzal, and then a Mr. Crum. Neither responded to my letters.

I will tell you what happened...

I rented a car from Dollar for $265 in Munich Germany and was happy with the price, I arrived at the Dollar rental car counter no one was there. The Hertz counter said they would help me. They did, but that is where it went all wrong.

The counter agent told me my credit card would not cover the insurance on the car. I assured them it would, as it has for years. They told me I need a specific credit card to be able to waive the insurance. (I still have the paper he gave me) I found this to be unbelievable as I have rented in many countries and never heard of such a policy.

After giving them another card that they said they needed (platinum MasterCard) they then said it would not cover the insurance. Round and round it went. My rental was a good deal, but with the addition of the mandatory insurance it added nearly 500 dollars!

Then to make matters worse I was told the car I had made a reservation for was not available, so they had to give me some other car, admittedly it was a better car, and an upgrade, but I am sure this only added to the cost of the mandatory insurance.

After contacting Hertz customer service I basically got a "those are the breaks, you need the right card" answer. Also heard "It is says on the website that 'special rental conditions may apply' ". When I wrote back telling them I did have the right kind of credit card and it was rejected, forcing me to buy the very expensive and totally unnecessary insurance, I heard no response.
It would have been nice to know this "special conditions" part of the rental before I left home. I would have gotten the specific card they say would cover the VERY expensive insurance.

Is this a common occurrence? Have you heard of this before? As I said I travel a lot (149 countries so far) and have never been treated like this from any rental agency. Needless to say this has put me off using Hertz and Dollar in the future.

The card they rejected is still in use by the way.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have seen instances where you need to bring a copy of the actual policy to show that you have coverage.

Did they tell you if you didn’t have the “right”’insurance that they would have to put up a large deposit on your credit card to hold for damages?

Apparently this isn’t new:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop..._in_Germany-Munich_Upper_Bavaria_Bavaria.html

Did you end up renting through Dollar or Hertz?

We have company contacts on top of our page. Write to the customer service email address for whoever you rented through, tell them about the tactics and ask for a refund of the insurance fees. I would include a link to the insurance policy for your credit card to prove your insurance covered the rental.

Give them a week to reply. If they don't respond or refuse to help, write to the first executive shown. Tell him/her that Customer Service wasn't able to help or didn't reply. Give the executive a week to reply. If necessary, repeat weekly going up the chain of Executives one at a time. If you get all the Executives with no help, come back here and let us know and we'll
Tell you the next step. Make sure you keep all the emails as you'll need to forward them to the writers if they need to get involved.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Jan 6, 2018
Hello Neil,
I have never had to bring a copy of the insurance policy. I do carry my insurance card for my home car with me to prove I have car insurance, but have never had to produce it for proof, I believe that also covers the rental cars. But I was not asked for anything but the specific card, and when I gave them one I still was denied.
I would not have objected to "a large deposit" I have done that before.
Yes, I did rent from Hertz, supposedly they cover Dollar when no one is at the Dollar counter. Or they lied.
What ever the case, I was very disappointed with the idea of 500 dollars for insurance I know I did not have to get.
I have written to Hertz customer care without result. If you believe it would help a third time I will try again. But too be honest, I am a bit tired of being ignored by them.
Thank you for your quick response.
Robert

I have seen instances where you need to bring a copy of the actual policy to show that you have coverage.

Did they tell you if you didn’t have the “right”’insurance that they would have to put up a large deposit on your credit card to hold for damages?

Apparently this isn’t new:
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop..._in_Germany-Munich_Upper_Bavaria_Bavaria.html

Did you end up renting through Dollar or Hertz?

We have company contacts on top of our page. Write to the customer service email address for whoever you rented through, tell them about the tactics and ask for a refund of the insurance fees. I would include a link to the insurance policy for your credit card to prove your insurance covered the rental.

Give them a week to reply. If they don't respond or refuse to help, write to the first executive shown. Tell him/her that Customer Service wasn't able to help or didn't reply. Give the executive a week to reply. If necessary, repeat weekly going up the chain of Executives one at a time. If you get all the Executives with no help, come back here and let us know and we'll
Tell you the next step. Make sure you keep all the emails as you'll need to forward them to the writers if they need to get involved.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your own insurance may cover rental cars but it usually doesn’t cover for outside the US. If it does, you need to prove it. I also have car rental insurance through my Amex card and always bring the actual policy with me when I rent. (And there are some countries that even that insurance isn’t valid for- Costa Rica is one of them.

If you used your own car insurance, get a copy of the policy showing you had coverage in Germany and use that in your letter to Hertz. You have to prove you had coverage to try to be the insurance refunded and to try to stop this practice.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
But too be honest, I am a bit tired of being ignored by them.

BINGO! That's just where they want you ... pretty soon you'll go away. Rental car companies are so out of control when it comes to adding revenue. The agents get a huge commission for convincing you to sign up for their insurance. The extra insurance scam is not new, they've been trying to beat customers up about buying extra insurance forever.

I would obtain a copy of your CC rental car insurance and any other insurance you already have. Attach them to a polite,concise letter asking for a refund of all the insurance monies you paid them. Remember, that they like to treat travellers like criminals, so be sure that whatever you're asserting can be easily proven.

Sep 19, 2015
I think one issue is in the future to bring a copy of the insurance policy. Like Neil mentioned some cards exclude certain countries. Some cards exclude expensive cars -- I once rented a Mercedes station wagon in Italy and the value of the car is over what most credit card companies cover (over $50,000).

Most people want to see the policy, and that is not surprising. I could not even have an air conditioner installed in my apartment (exterior so risk of falling and hurting someone) without giving management a copy of the company's million dollar liability-- they would not take my word on it.

Not having a copy of the policy gives the car rental company an immediate reason to say no --or nein in this case.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think one issue is in the future to bring a copy of the insurance policy. Like Neil mentioned some cards exclude certain countries. Some cards exclude expensive cars -- I once rented a Mercedes station wagon in Italy and the value of the car is over what most credit card companies cover (over $50,000).

Most people want to see the policy, and that is not surprising. I could not even have an air conditioner installed in my apartment (exterior so risk of falling and hurting someone) without giving management a copy of the company's million dollar liability-- they would not take my word on it.

Not having a copy of the policy gives the car rental company an immediate reason to say no --or nein in this case.
Ah yes, yet another PDF to be created and schlepped around on my laptop just in case.

I always keep access to my USAA auto insurance policy and my excess Amex coverage terms and conditions handy on my phone and laptop. If there's any question I ask the representative to let me access them on their system and print these documents. Usually they're too lazy to do it and drop the issue. The only time I've had a real argument was in Costa Rica, where insurance regulations are unusual.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I always keep access to my USAA auto insurance policy and my excess Amex coverage terms and conditions handy on my phone and laptop. If there's any question I ask the representative to let me access them on their system and print these documents. Usually they're too lazy to do it and drop the issue. The only time I've had a real argument was in Costa Rica, where insurance regulations are unusual.
This might explain why:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59dcfe0ce4b0eff4783a0007/amp

Neil, I was aware of the mandatory government insurance requirements in Costa Rica but I was not prepared for the aggressive attempt by the rental company to sell their unnecessary additional coverage, which duplicated my own insurance. After 15 minutes of pressure and argument from the agent, I finally compromised and purchased some low-cost extra coverage from him, but certainly not the extra $500 worth of insurance that I didn't need.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil, I was aware of the mandatory government insurance requirements in Costa Rica but I was not prepared for the aggressive attempt by the rental company to sell their unnecessary additional coverage, which duplicated my own insurance. After 15 minutes of pressure and argument from the agent, I finally compromised and purchased some low-cost extra coverage from him, but certainly not the extra $500 worth of insurance that I didn't need.
That’s not new. Have you rented in Mexico? That is the worst push about insurance I’ve ever been subjected to.

We took it anyway because I don’t trust the police there if anything should happen.

Jan 6, 2018
Well, I have returned from Indonesia where I had NO PROBLEM renting cars with that card! I have written to the next name on the list, A Laura Smith... Again... we wait.

Jan 6, 2018
Hello Again!
Well they responded and it was basically the same answer as the first. You should have had a card and a letter. It would be nice if they told you this! I have attached the response from Hertz.
Just cant win against the big companies I guess.
I know I will NEVER rent from them again! I will also have a letter from my insurance company in my carry-on! I have never run into this before in all the countries I have visited, and that is a lot. But I refuse to have it happen again, I will have the letter, and if they still want me to get the insurance I will walk away and go to another company. Dollar and Hertz have just lost my business and anyone else I can tell about this policy of theirs.

Here is the letter;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Oconnor,

I am corresponding with you on behalf of Hertz Senior Leadership regarding a recent experience in Munich, Germany. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to review this matter and respond to you directly.

We acknowledge the points raised in your email, however, after careful consideration, we must advise that the charges have been applied correctly. We recognize that this is not the resolution you were anticipating, however, we appreciate you allowing us to explain how it has been reached.

Unfortunately it's not possible for us to recreate the exact conversation that took place whilst at our rental counter. Therefore, we rely heavily on the online terms and conditions as well as the rental agreement that customers are asked to read and then sign. We believe this policy is fair, as it gives customers the opportunity to review this document before anything has been signed. Our terms and conditions state that you can only decline the coverage if you present at the counter a US or Canadian issued Gold/Platinum MasterCard or Gold/Platinum Visa card along with written proof issued by the credit card’s insurance company that the card has full coverage for Germany or worldwide at time of rental or if you use an American Express Platinum/Centurion card there is no written proof required. I have attached a screenshot of the online terms and conditions related to coverage policy in Munich.

With the above in mind, we must respectfully decline your request for a refund.

If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me directly.
?
Yours sincerely,

Myesha Jones

Hertz Executive Customer Services
https://www.hertz.com

Jan 6, 2018
Do you think it would be worth trying the next name on the list? The response they give is so.... what's the word I am looking for.... aggravating. Everyone who has traveled, even a little, knows the cars are covered by the credit cards. I even remember an article one time saying getting the insurance is the biggest waste of money in the travel industry. The fact that they take it to such a level, 500 dollars more, is frustrating! And that they KNOW the car is covered is the thing that bugs me.

Sep 19, 2015
Do you think it would be worth trying the next name on the list? The response they give is so.... what's the word I am looking for.... aggravating. Everyone who has traveled, even a little, knows the cars are covered by the credit cards. I even remember an article one time saying getting the insurance is the biggest waste of money in the travel industry. The fact that they take it to such a level, 500 dollars more, is frustrating! And that they KNOW the car is covered is the thing that bugs me.
Different credit card companies have different restrictions -- for instance one of mine has the following warning:

Where am I covered?

This benefit is available in the United States and most foreign countries.

However, no benefit is provided for motor vehicles rented in Israel,

Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland, or Northern Ireland

A different credit card does not exclude those countries.

It is unreasonable to think that a clerk at a car rental company is going to know what every credit card issued from banks in number of different countries covers -- Many UK bank issued Visas and Mastercards do not offer any rental car insurance. So how is someone working at Hertz in Munich going to know this? And one can carry a US passport but live and work in the UK and have a UK credit card -- this is why the car rental companies want to see the coverage.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017
Amsterdam
Your experience sounds very frustrating, @rocnnr, I am sorry this happened. It is always worth trying again I think though, what do you have to lose?

On the issue of credit cards and insurance I have to chime in with @Christina H though, I have a credit card with my own national bank and unless I go to a higher bracket (spend more than I earn a month on that card) I get no travel insurance on the card or anything I rent/buy with it. I am not German, but it is literally the next country over. It may sound safe to assume that everyone knows that a credit card assures insurance on car rentals, but this is not the case in every country and the clerk you dealt with may not have known that this is the case for US bank credit cards.