Hertz Rent a Car 5010 North Tryon Street Charlotte, North Carolina 28213

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 19, 2019
I'm being charged $1360.16 for a minor scuff mark that was on the hood of the car. There was no dent, scratch or paint removed on the hood of the car.
I was forced to sign a damage waiver that blatantly states "damage on hood & bumper" but I'm also being charged for additional damage that I did not do to the car. The scuff mark could have easily been buffed out but they decided to replace the entire bumper, fender, front lamp, rear view mirror, & front door handle.

Attachments

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Your post is very unclear. Did the rental car sustain damage while you were renting it? If so, you do not get to determine how it is fixed. What you might do on your personal car (buffing out a scratch) is not what Hertz will do. They will repair the vehicle for resale.

If they are charging you for additional damage that did not occur when you were renting the car you can contest that. You cannot contest the repair of damages that occurred when the car was rented by you.

Jun 19, 2019
Your post is very unclear. Did the rental car sustain damage while you were renting it? If so, you do not get to determine how it is fixed. What you might do on your personal car (buffing out a scratch) is not what Hertz will do. They will repair the vehicle for resale.

If they are charging you for additional damage that did not occur when you were renting the car you can contest that. You cannot contest the repair of damages that occurred when the car was rented by you.
As I stated in my original post, there was no scratch on the hood/bumper. A scratch is completely different than a scuff mark. No paint was chipped, nor was there a dent from the scuff mark. This was a Hyundai, not a Rolls Royce Phantom. There was no need to charge me $1360.16 for a minor scuff mark. Also, as I stated in the original post I'm being charged for a fender, front lamp, rear view mirror, & front door handle replacement. This is excessive. There's no need to replace anything that occurred while I rented the vehicle.

Oct 10, 2018
I had a scratched rear bumper a year or so ago where another car barely touched me in a parking lot (not even as bad as yours). It ended up costing the other driver's insurance about $1200 to fix (if I'd been at fault, I wouldn't have bothered). What they're asking for isn't that out of line, unfortunately.

Apr 3, 2016
Are your sure they actually replaced all those parts? if those are OME parts, it seems to be a very low bill for all those parts and installing them. Are you sure they did not do something like paint the existing parts? They might have done that to blend the colors of the new paint to cover the scratch compared to the existing paint.

Dec 19, 2014
The photo you produced shows legitimate damage that will be charged. $1360.16 sounds about right for replacing the bumper. Based on web searches the AVERAGE cost of basic repair of a bumper is between $500-1500, so your invoice, while it is on the high side, does not seem out of line.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
There is no way on God's green earth that I caused $1360.16 worth of damage on a 2018 Hyundai from the scuff mark left on this hood/bumper.
To remove, replace, and repaint a full front bumper, $1200 is not out of line for cost. If the damage you show occurred while the rental vehicle was in your possession you will be charged the full cost of repairing/replacing. The cost "to replace the entire bumper, fender, front lamp, rear view mirror, & front door handle" would be many times more than $1200.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
As I stated in my original post, there was no scratch on the hood/bumper. A scratch is completely different than a scuff mark. No paint was chipped, nor was there a dent from the scuff mark. This was a Hyundai, not a Rolls Royce Phantom. There was no need to charge me $1360.16 for a minor scuff mark. Also, as I stated in the original post I'm being charged for a fender, front lamp, rear view mirror, & front door handle replacement. This is excessive. There's no need to replace anything that occurred while I rented the vehicle.
Then you should have gotten some auto wax and tried to remove the "scuff". You did not do that and you are responsible for Hertz repairs as they see fit.