Hertz & PurCO Charging Me Diminished Value Charges

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 17, 2019
Last summer I rented a vehicle out of Minot, ND through Hertz. I have my own car insurance, Liberty Mutual. I ended up with a few tiny hail dents on the vehicle.

A few weeks later, I receive notice from PurCo that total charges are roughly $15000. $10000 of this is damage and roughly $5000 is from diminished value. Liberty Mutual says they won't pay the diminished value charge, nor will AMEX who covered my deductible.

I am now being told from PurCo that they will file a negative notice with my credit card if I don't pay the amount. They say they are open to negotiations, but this tells me that this whole things reeks of a scam.

I've begun to go down the list of given Hertz contacts, but at this point to no avail.

What is my next logical step? Am I really going to be forced to pay $5000 for tiny (have to look closely to find them) hail dents for diminished value on a rental vehicle that is going to be reduced in value anyway since it is a rental vehicle to begin with??

Thanks for any help,

Dave

Dec 19, 2014
You need to get your insurance company (Liberty Mutual) involved.

as to whether diminished value is enforceable, that depends on the state. If it is enforceable, then your negotiation power is based on subjective figure of the diminished value. $5000 seems excessive

May 17, 2019
Thanks Chris,

I've been going over the forums for some time. I continue to hound Liberty Mutual but they have been somewhat hard to get a hold of, at least the person who is responsible for the claim.

I saw something about a letter template from a Joe Pharrell? Is there a link to this? It appears that this may have helped someone in a similar situation.

May 17, 2019
So Libery Mutual says they won't pay Diminished Value charges, full stop. They say I should work with PurCo myself.

So far no response from the 2nd person down on the Hertz list.

The DV charge does not take into effect that this vehicle was a rental vehicle to begin with.

I feel completely alone on this, and as if I'm being scammed. Is my next step to hire legal help or do I just eat almost $5000.

May 17, 2019
Also, PurCo just called me, saying that the fact that it's a rental car does not mean the DV is any less. She also seemed quite testy that I had to gall to contact Hertz Customer Service, the first listing on the aforementioned list.

May 17, 2019
Curiously, how accurate is vincheck.info? I decided to run a check on the car I rented (2T3BFREV4JW761336 ) through them.

I noticed the car had been sold, but I also noted on the record that there are no listings of accidents, hail damage, insurance records, or frankly anything on title check.

Should I run a Carfax to verify? Something isn't right here

May 17, 2019
-UPDATE-

I called Liberty Mutual, hoping that they would further the cause on my behalf, and I also told them what I found when looking up the VIN.

Today Liberty Mutual called me and told me they brought up the fact to PurCo that the vehicle was sold and that there were no negative marks on the title. Once they did that, PurCo dropped all diminished value charges.

It turns out that PurCo didn't even repair the vehicle with the roughly $10k they received from Liberty Mutual! They sold the vehicle as is, probably for a small discount, and ended up turning a tidy profit. They might have gotten an additional ~$5k from others who just blindly paid them the DV charges.

You'd think this would be an illegal practice, but it's not!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Get something in writing from Purco dropping the fees. This could come back later and haunt you if they don't do what they told Liberty Mutual they would.

You are absolutely right - these charges should be illegal.