Hertz overcharging damage

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 31, 2018
Hi all, I had rented a car from hertz at Norway oslo airport. Just before I return my car, I accidentally graze the side barrel from the road as the car from other direction drove into my lane thus to prevent collision I had made some scratches to the side of the car. I went to the some nearby car workshop and they appraise the damage to cost below 700 euro (6679 NOK) and 1 working day to repair it. Immediately after the appraiser, I had return the car to hertz as my rental period is up and declared the scratches.

I had rented the car from cheaptickets.com and bought a collision damage plan from them but when I'm trying to do the claim, I realise that I was being mislead by the website insurance as it's only available to US Resident (I did not click to check clearly as they did not state that it's only for US Resident on the website itself). I only have a personal travel insurance that can allow me to claim up to 319 Euro.

After a few days, Hertz send me an invoice and tried to charge 30735 NOK (3,220 Euro) to my credit card but as I'm still a student, I do not have enough money to pay for this amount. I'm willing to pay for the damage I had caused (after a few online searches, Hertz charges similar scratch cases for less than 700 euro) but I felt that I'm being overcharged. I had already emailed them for an itemized report for the damage cost but they did not response to me. I'm not an EU resident nor USA Resident, please kindly advise what's the best way to handle this case as currently I do not have enough funds to handle this full damage amount.

Oct 31, 2018
Dear all, I'm sorry for the confusion but I have a Rental Vehicle Excess of $500 for my travel insurance as this is the first time I'm in this situation, I hope that I could learn from the community. Please correct me if I'm wrong, from my research it means that I will have to pay $500 dollar first instead of the full damage of 3.2k Euro?

Sep 19, 2015
When you bought the insurance from cheap tickets.com did you click on terms and conditions — as it is pretty clear once you do that it is for US residents as there are policies listed by state.

It is hard to know what other scratches have cost without seeing the damage or having photos.

Have you asked for a breakdown of the charges?

Attachments

Sep 19, 2015
Oh sorry I see that you said that you did not click through the cheaptickets website— insurance is very specific and can only be sold in certain areas by law.

What type of repair shop did you go to and is there an estimate in writing?

Oct 31, 2018
Oh sorry I see that you said that you did not click through the cheaptickets website— insurance is very specific and can only be sold in certain areas by law.

What type of repair shop did you go to and is there an estimate in writing?
I did not get the estimate in writing and I can't really remember the shop name, i'm waiting for them to send me the photo as the guy took it when I returned the car.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, because you stopped at body shop
and they have you an estimate doesn’t mean that estimate was acceptable to the car rental company. Their quality of work might not have been acceptable for a car rental company that has to continue renting and then sell the car. And unless someone starts taking the pieces apart and gets under the car- they can’t give you a perfect estimate. How long did they look at the car to give you that estimate?

Oct 31, 2018
Unfortunately, because you stopped at body shop
and they have you an estimate doesn’t mean that estimate was acceptable to the car rental company. Their quality of work might not have been acceptable for a car rental company that has to continue renting and then sell the car. And unless someone starts taking the pieces apart and gets under the car- they can’t give you a perfect estimate. How long did they look at the car to give you that estimate?
I will have to agree with you on this , he just took 5 to 10mins to look on the scratches. I'm just wondering if there's anyway else to check if the price they give is fair and not overcharging.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Without pictures and a better description of the damage, esp how many body panels were involved, it is not possible to evaluate the claim. A "small" scratch along both fenders and doors on a car could easily cost $3000+ to fix.