Hertz Not Honoring Reservation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 6, 2019
Over the holiday period, we had a rental reservation w Hertz and when we when went to the rental site we were advised there we no cars available. I complained and was told people are keeping their cars beyond their scheduled rental. It really screwed up some of our vacation plans and we lost money since we had a prepaid commitment that we could no longer keep. The money was not substantial but the missed experience was.

I followed up with an e-mail complaint. I don't find the reason to be very credible. I would expect large rental car companies to have sophisticated modelling that based on the reservation volumes, location and time of year that should have a pretty good idea of demand.

I will also point out that Hertz formally responded to my e-mail complaint with a repeat of the reason above and offered some "possible" type of reimbursement but they asked that I respond with my credit/debit card info. I am shocked that they would expect me to to provide as clear text via an unencrypted method.

I am curious if other have had reservations ignored. Also, thoughts on the sloppy request for my account data.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
This has happened to me a few times, not just with Hertz, actually mostly with another national company that shall remain nameless. It's frustrating and happens because, unfortunately, people make reservations and then don't show up so they have to take more reservations than they have cars for. In addition people don't always return the cars they booked when they say they will. The alternative would be for them to allow customers to book exactly the number of reservations as they know they have cars for and then end up with cars on the lot not being used. This would be frustrating for customers that hadn't been able to get a car even those some ended up being available (if they were to find out) and really bad business for the rental company.

Other than offering you a ride, which has happened to me, and maybe offering compensation (which wasn't offered to me but then I didn't ask), there isn't really much else that can be done. At the time I wasn't involved with Elliott Advocacy but now that I am, I would probably have been bolder in renting another car or getting a taxi/Uber/Lyft and asking them to compensate me for the difference in cost, if there was one. It's a shame you that gave up your prepaid commitment without finding another way there, or maybe there wasn't another way?

This is also a lesson to customers to make sure they don't book cars they don't need. Regarding extensions, I've on occasion had to request an extension for a car I've already had. Hertz would also have to crack down on this if wanted to be less likely to run out of cars and you could one day then find yourself in a position where you want to extend and you can't (like when you want to extend a hotel stay and can't), and then you may suddenly have a whole new perspective!

I would write (again) using our company contacts and at least ask them to compensate you for the lost money for the prepaid commitment. They may have something in their terms and conditions for reservations that limits their liability in cases like this but it's at least worth asking.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Where you able to find a car with another company or were they sold out?

There can be many reasons for car shortages — people not returning on time, people crashing the rental car, or just mechanical issues.

There is no sophisticated modeling that can predict human behavior or anticipate a car crash or break down.

I am sorry that this happened to you. Was there no other way to get to the prepaid commitment?

Jan 6, 2019
I was unable to find another car with other rental companies. "Ubering" would have been very expensive given the distance I needed to travel.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
One of the times it happened to me they actually took me where I needed to be and it wasn't around the corner.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It's my understanding that 1) sometimes there are no cars available for many reasons as my colleagues have outlined, and 2) the rental car company finds you a car from a competitor. Maybe you're delayed 30 minutes. 3) Or they find you a car at one of their other branches and your delay is a bit longer waiting for the car to arrive. I've not ever encountered a situation where there's no car at all, anywhere. This is very shoddy business. I hope you use our Company Contacts to write and ask for the compensation you want.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
It's my understanding that 1) sometimes there are no cars available for many reasons as my colleagues have outlined, and 2) the rental car company finds you a car from a competitor. Maybe you're delayed 30 minutes. 3) Or they find you a car at one of their other branches and your delay is a bit longer waiting for the car to arrive. I've not ever encountered a situation where there's no car at all, anywhere. This is very shoddy business. I hope you use our Company Contacts to write and ask for the compensation you want.
They've never found a car for me neither at another one of their locations nor at a competitor. I either waited for one to show up, found one at a competitor myself, or had them drive me to where I wanted to go (and then had to find my own way back).

Mar 23, 2015
I think companies need to crack down on those who decide at the last minute to extend rentals so the company has to tap dance to find enough for incoming customers. They need to either tell them, "I'm sorry; that vehicle is already booked for the follow on period." Or, "Ok, but you're pre-confirmed rate is no longer applicable to the extended period and you'll be charged a premium for the additional days." If it "Hertz" financially, people won't do it frivolously...