Hertz : Mexico CDW question

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 29, 2021
Hello
Purchased a car rental with Hertz in Mexico using Chase Ultimate Rewards points. Rental came with third party liability insurance included. At the counter earlier today, presented my Chase Sapphire Reserve card, expecting CDW to be included. Agent insists I had to purchase CDW through them and that they wouldn't recognize CDW provided by the credit card. Tired, exhausted from a long trip, I accepted and forked up something like 10,200 MXP for CDW on the 10 day rental in addition to the $320 already paid for this reservation. Got into the hotel and somehow felt like I got shafted. Wanted to check here to see if the agent told me the right thing? If not, what recourse do I have? This is the first day of the 10 day rental. Thanks

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Without seeing the terms and condition for your card we can’t really tell you. You usually have to bring a copy of the policy with you to show them at the car rental company. But Mexico is known for pulling this if you don’t bring a copy of the policy we by you.

You should call Chase and find out- ask them to send you a copy of the policy do you can go back to the car rental company with it in writing.

We rented a car in Mexico once and had the same issue and would never rent a car there again. Make sure you obey the speed laws too because the police are no better.

Apr 29, 2021
Without seeing the terms and condition for your card we can’t really tell you. You usually have to bring a copy of the policy with you to show them at the car rental company. But Mexico is known for pulling this if you don’t bring a copy of the policy we by you.

You should call Chase and find out- ask them to send you a copy of the policy do you can go back to the car rental company with it in writing.

We rented a car in Mexico once and had the same issue and would never rent a car there again. Make sure you obey the speed laws too because the police are no better.
I was unfortunately unprepared for that and exhausted from the trip to really understand what was going on. I will call Chase and Hertz now.

Skippy

May 30, 2019
Chase offers a written document that confirms that you have LDW included with the credit card. I use it when renting in Europe. Given that you already left for Mexico, you may be able to request they email it to you.

Apr 29, 2021
I already picked up the car last night. What are my options? Call Hertz to ask for a refund on the insurance charges? Or return the car and make a new rental? I have the contract with me - they charged for CDW, medical expenses, and roadside assistance.

Apr 29, 2021
Hello here are the specified charges can somebody confirm whether they should be covered with my credit card coverage? If so then what can I do? IMG_3446.jpg

Apr 29, 2021
Chase Travel seems helpless... I was thinking, cancel the Hertz reservation and get a prorata refund, go back and drop off the car. Go to another place that is less pushy with the obligatory supplementary insurance package. Would that work?

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
The coverage included with your chase card is considered a 3rd party policy. If the rental agency makes a claim of damages and you didn't purchase the coverage from them, you would be responsible for paying the rental company and filing a claim with the chase coverage for reimbursement. Most of these benefits do not cover you unless you elect to decline the rental's coverage.

Whether or not the waiver coverage sold by the rental company is optional or required will or may depend on the law in the country you are renting the vehicle and/or the local agencies' rental requirements. In some countries, you may be required to provide a copy of the coverage details to rent without the waiver coverage. Since you have already accepted the coverage, you will need to review the contract to see what it provides for if you return the vehicle early. You may want to first call around to check rates and be sure you can rent without accepting the waiver coverage.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Dwayne is correct. If you return the car early, you could be hit with penalties for breaking the contract.

If it were me- I would just keep the rental and insurance. Mexico is a country you don’t want to have an accident or a break in with a car happen.

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Their associated policy can be found at this link: Rental Car Insurance in Mexico

where it states:
"Mexican border patrol requires a renter to be covered under a Mexico insurance policy in order to enter Mexico as it provides the renter/occupants and vehicle with legal compliance upon crossing the border"
Other countries have similar requirements. You are not being "shafted" . . .

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
"Mexican border patrol requires a renter to be covered under a Mexico insurance policy in order to enter Mexico as it provides the renter/occupants and vehicle with legal compliance upon crossing the border"
But I think the OP is renting a car from Mexico, so this is not very relevant.
"Mexico insurance policy in order to enter Mexico"
The OP is not entering Mexico they are already in Mexico.
I have rented cars in Mexico and in every time I used my personal insurance and my credit card 3rd party insurance and did not take the auto rental's insurance.
In this case it the insurance costs almost triple the rental cost. So it makes this rental very expensive.
I was thinking, cancel the Hertz reservation and get a prorata refund
I would make sure 1st if you would get anything back at all. Check 1st what would happen if you return the car early. It could cost more to return it early then your rental total was. But you should get your insurance back as it was not used.

Reactions: Skippy

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I do not know, of course, how you were able to do so, but many other sites indicate that Mexican Insurance is required:

Reactions: Skippy
Apr 29, 2021
Thanks all for helping. At this point I'm like, heck with it, we're in Mexico and we want to have a good vacation, I'll take the $500 hit. When I go to my grave I won't have regrets over that $500 that Hertz was able to extract from me even though I realize that I should have come better prepared when I showed up at the rental car counter last night. Oh well. May this be a lesson to all. Cheers

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Your Reserve Visa has primary rental car insurance as a perk, unless they changed the terms last week. The reason that Chase was "helpless" when you called is that Mexican car rentals are dicey. I wouldn't dream of renting a car in Mexico without full insurance coverage from the local rental office. Actually, I wouldn't rent a vehicle in Mexico at all, there's just too many ways to get into trouble. You booked with Ultimate Rewards, so Chase has already paid Hertz; starting over would not be a good idea. My advice is to forget about being over-charged, take very good care of the vehicle, use it as little as possible, and hope for the best. I hope you can enjoy your vacation, Mexico is a wonderful place to visit.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
All though liability insurance is required . According to your links it is provided for by the car rental company at no charge.
Look at your personal auto insurance, many will cover Mexico. Look at your credit card many also cover damage to the car. My insurance also covers medical for me in Mexico from an accident.
From the links you posted.
"But here's what most renters don't know: By law, the mandatory liability insurance is already included in the rental price. Cost: Included in rental rate.

smd

Mar 14, 2018
I do not know, of course, how you were able to do so, but many other sites indicate that Mexican Insurance is required:
Those articles say third party liability insurance is required. Per the OP, that was included in Hertz's base rate.

He was charged extra for collision damage waiver, medical insurance and roadside assistance. The Chase card the OP used provided insurance for collision damage. The medical insurance that (presumably) covered the OP while in Mexico would also cover his medical expenses from a car accident. Roadside assistance may have provided some coverage that the OP didn't already have (although Chase offers something here as well).

Apr 29, 2021
Those articles say third party liability insurance is required. Per the OP, that was included in Hertz's base rate.

He was charged extra for collision damage waiver, medical insurance and roadside assistance. The Chase card the OP used provided insurance for collision damage. The medical insurance that (presumably) covered the OP while in Mexico would also cover his medical expenses from a car accident. Roadside assistance may have provided some coverage that the OP didn't already have (although Chase offers something here as well).
That's a correct read of the situation. Again, I'll take the hit because hey, Mexico is a nice place to be. Thanks all!