Hertz & Lyft ripped me off took everything I had...emotionally and financially .....

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 17, 2019
How is this....

December 30 received email from Lyft requesting photos of the car, which immediately responded to with the photos. The review of the damage wasn't supposed to take more than 24hrs.
January 2 my car was reactivated, but I lost five days of work due to the slow response from Lyft. I requested the credit from Lyft for the list time and was told that it was posable to be credited for the lost time. Now Lyft has changed that and said Hertz is responsible for crediting the lost time.
January 9 now unable to make the rental payment I returned the car, making leaving me unable to work.

I'm unsure how to end the letter do I demand that they make it right or just end it saying that it's unfortunate that me losing everything means nothing to Lyft when I worked hard to honor the companies reputation and made sure that my riders were safely transported and insured that they all would be using Lyft again.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
How is this....

December 30 received email from Lyft requesting photos of the car, which immediately responded to with the photos. The review of the damage wasn't supposed to take more than 24hrs.
January 2 my car was reactivated, but I lost five days of work due to the slow response from Lyft. I requested the credit from Lyft for the list time and was told that it was posable to be credited for the lost time. Now Lyft has changed that and said Hertz is responsible for crediting the lost time.
January 9 now unable to make the rental payment I returned the car, making leaving me unable to work.

I'm unsure how to end the letter do I demand that they make it right or just end it saying that it's unfortunate that me losing everything means nothing to Lyft when I worked hard to honor the companies reputation and made sure that my riders were safely transported and insured that they all would be using Lyft again.

Facts only. They don’t care that you lost everything, they don’t care if you will drive for them again. You want to ask to be made whole.

This can affect thousands of other drivers who might face the same situation.

But please be aware we don’t know what the contract you signed says about a situation like this so we are doing the best we can helping you with this.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I did find online that your deposit won’t be returned unless your account is in good standing, so you need to get the account paid up to get your deposit back:

https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001562247#deposit

Deposits are returned:

If you don’t pass the DMV/background check (once the 10-day contesting window has closed)
If you request to end the Express Drive program before picking up a rental car
When you stop using Express Drive and return your car, if your account is in good standing
After you return the vehicle, the rental deposit is returned to your driver earnings within 5-10 business days. If you had any rental charges from the week of return, some or all of the deposit will be used to cover the charges.

Rental deposits cannot be used to cover any outstanding rental charges that are attempted to the payment method on file when due.

This also tells about Lyft suspending the account until the car is deemed driveable but I don’t see anything about who pays for the car rental during this time.

https://help.lyft.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001550508#hertz

Jan 6, 2015
A agree with Neil in Post #22 above. From your posts I see several issues, some of which appear to be "it is what it is":
  • Your Hertz location is closed on weekends. That's their choice.
  • The first vehicle they provided was not drivable over an entire weekend, but you agreed to accept one day's credit from Hertz.
  • The second vehicle was hit by a cone at which point Hertz left it in service while Lyft took it out of service for 5 days.
  • Both situations cost you revenue and now you lack the resources to continue the program.
Only you can decide what will make you whole and whether or not to continue. The weekend closure would be an ongoing issue you would have to work around, unless you can find another rental location that is open weekends. The 5-day revenue loss seems to me to be a Lyft issue as they, and not Hertz, put you out of service.

That said, if you pursue compensation, do so politely and professionally. That goes a long way toward satisfatory resolution . .

Mar 17, 2015
What you are entitled to entirely depends on the contract you have with Lyft/Hertz. Unless you would like to post a copy of the contract, then there is not much more we can do other than advise you on the letter writing. I am also not sure that you can prove damages, as the other driver may have been inflating their earnings, and it is unlikely they would allow that information to go to you. Maybe they would.

I am still unclear as to why if Lyft had left the car out of service why you could not have exchanged it at Hertz, except that you liked that vehicle and did not find any others acceptable.