Hertz & Lyft ripped me off took everything I had...emotionally and financially .....

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 17, 2019
Started renting from Hertz and driving for Lyft Dec 5 2018, which took all the money I had. Felt great because it had been a while since I had a "real job" I can't stand for long periods of time so driving sounded like a great option. Now after 6 weeks I'm emotional distressed depressed and feeling like I'm drowning and it's the two company's that are pushing me under and making me lose what I have put everything into just to make it impossible for me to succeed. The first car was not great the battery and transmission were faulty. So I lost two days of work .( Because they are not open on weekends so that I could exchange the car ) so the following Monday I took the car back Hertz said they would credit me for one day and swapped me out with a different car it was nicer and they made it so easy, (but it's a hook) so I agreed to the one day credit and took the car. Then everything is going good my ride totals were getting higher despite the struggle I was having making the money on the side just to keep the gas to drive, ( the rental of 235$ a week was killing me because my week was of set by the work week for Lyft) then I had an incident where a truck hit a orange cone sending it right in front of me in my lane I couldn't avoid it so I ran it over. I reported the indent to both parties( Hertz and lyft) Hertz was fine with me driving the car still because it was minor damage but Lyft wanted pictures which I sent them. lyft also took my car out of service on the three busiest days of the year. The days I was waiting for where I was finally going to get ahead(on the over head of gas) with new years Eve. Note I talked to a lyft driver at my rental location and her said he made 600$ in there hours that night and it was the highest profit yielding night for the lyft company . I couldn’t work because they deactivated my car for five days to review pictures, and they were closed early on the 31 and all day on the first. I was stuck paying for a car I couldn’t drive till they reactive my drive status. So I work off my ass made my 20 rides and even with those 20 rides i didn’t make my rental payment. (Which 20 rides were covering my rental fee ) now I was 80.26$ short. So now they say that the owe me compensation. For the three days because it took them till the second of January to reactivate my status and now they are saying I didn’t return the car which I did on the day they demanded it from me. So I return it and they say I didn’t they want 215$ cause I made 30 before I returned the car which was in a new week and returned my car like they asked but am being charged for so they want 295$ approximately when they owe me 153.33$ in earnings(which should be more because of the fact some drivers made 600$ in the hours of work on new year Eve.) I just need help to know that they can't get away with this. I should be compensated and not hassled for charge that are false. I feel like I'm getting shafted and I'm losing hope when it was a challenge to keep pushing to succeed with all the problems from there lack of timely responses and follow up they have made me feel like I am just losing again. I don't know what to do or what I can do but I do know I don't deserve to be treated this way and I am owed the money that's mine.
There's much more but this is to long already they scammed me neither company wants to take the lead they each tell me to call the other and get it from them i don't know who to go after our how any help would be great.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have no idea what happened here. You are renting a car to drive for Lyft? Is that allowed? Do you have appropriate insurance for the rental? Did you have insurance that would have covered the car and your occupants if you had an accident?

We need you to put this in a bulletin format by date so we can figure out what you are talking about.

Sep 19, 2015
Neil there is a program to rent a Hertz car and drive for LYft— all insurance is included — including 1,000,000 in liability— it is a commercial policy.

The problem seems to be that the Hertz location near the OP is not open 7 days a week— which happens in some suburban areas. And once there was the traffic cone incident the car was pulled out of service to make sure there was no serious damage and it happened on a holiday weekend.

The OP needs to make the letter more concise and clear and then write to executives—

Jan 6, 2015
Perhaps this would work . .

Summary of experience:

1st car
Faulty battery and transmission
Lost 2 days work lost waiting for Hertz to open on Monday - credited for one day rental ($235 per week) by Hertz (I agreed)

2nd car
A truck hit a cone and rental car ran over it. Reported to Hertz/Lyft.
Allowed to drive by Hertz but Lyft took it out of service for 5 days to review pictures (3 of were at the busiest time of the year)
I paid for the 5 days rental during that time, and now they want $300 for not returning the car when asked, which is false.

Other drivers made hundreds of dollars on New Year's Eve alone, while I sat idle. I believe I have acted in good faith and would like one or both of them to compensate me for lost income and wave the additional rental charges.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sep 19, 2015
Vor61 has made a good summary and it does seem to be a Lyft issue.

The OP seems to have been following all the procedures of the program.

OP follow Neil’s advice.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I think I can understand what is going on here. Lyft is trying to make sure that the vehicle is safe. Just because Hertz says it's driveable doesn't make it safe to be taking other passengers. On the other hand, as others have said, since this is a joint Lyft/Hertz program, Lyft should be trying to help you since your not being able to use the car stops you from getting the reduced rental rate that Lyft subsidizes.

Jan 6, 2015
Agreed Barry. Questions I would have:

1. What does the agreement/policy specify?
2. Is it Lyft's duty to inform Hertz that the driver needs a new vehicle to stay "in service", or is it the driver's?
3. Would Hertz be willing to provide a new vehicle, or would they stand their ground as does Lyft?
4. Does Hertz have a refund policy when a vehicle is out-of-service on a weekend (given that this is for a Lyft driver)?
5. Hertz says it's fit to drive, but Lyft says it's not fit for it's passengers - does Lyft's ruling prevail?

Feb 17, 2019
Yes the program is express drive you resent from Hertz and then drive for Lyft. There was a deposit. I will re write and re post again it's confusing for me and I lived it and there is along more to it that's just the main point.

Feb 17, 2019
Thank you so far for all the comments I am having a hard time putting my thoughts in order because so much of this venture i started was wrong or I feel was wrong and it upsets me so terribly that I lose my thoughts and emotional have to stop. I feel wronged in so many ways by this situation and I lost everything I had including my dignity and conference. Please give me time to re order my thoughts and try to make it more readable thank you again your responses have given me hope that I'm not just going to be ripped off and that i might have some leg to stand on

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Kahe, this is a sticky situation and I admire your willingness to create a positive job for yourself. I know you're upset, but the key to writing business letters is to be concise, organized and leave out all emotion. Just deal with the facts. Make a list of the facts. Take VOR's summary as an example. Use as few words as possible. I also advise you to find a Hertz office that is open 24hours. Did Lyft give you a reason that your car was out of service for such a long time? If they were worried about it's driveability, they should have had you bring it into a garage so it could be inspected and accepted in one day. It's their busy season as well, so they should have been interested in keeping you up and running. If you want to submit your letter to us, we will be glad to review it for you. Good luck, and don't give up.

Mar 17, 2015
What does the contract say between you and hertz/lyft? I am guessing there has to be some sort of agreement before starting this job, I would go look at the contract and see what it states about who determines when a vehicle is safe.

Feb 17, 2019
OK here it is and thank you everyone again for the kind words and great advice it has made a world of difference in all this for thank you again it won't let me attach the word doc so i just posted it here.

Kahe Stxxx
17xx xxxxxxxx xx
xxxxxxxxxx, CA xxxxx
Phone: +1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx
Email:sxxxxxxxxb@ mail.com

February 18, 2019

Sharon Hassell
Sr. Customer Experience Manager
Lyft
2300 Harrison St.
San Francisco, CA 94110
shassell@lyft.com

Dear Ms. Hassell,

My name is Kahe Stone and I am writing this letter today to share my recent experiences in the Lyft Hertz Express Drive program. When I passed the background check I was I sold my car for 300$ just so I could pay for the great new opportunity that I was being offered by Lyft and Hertz. II was ready. I had wanted to do the ride share gig since it started with Uber, and now I was getting my chance.
Well the new smell wore off fast, real fast, like 3 days, because thats when the first experience occurred. Before that this is the way I understood the agreements between myself and Hertz and Lyft.
First Experience:
• December 7 the first car was faulty, bad battery and transmission. Due to this happening on the weekend with no where for me to exchange the car till Monday, so right at the beginning I lost two days of drive time.
• December 11 the car was exchanged no problem this I will say I give I thumbs up because the exchange process was painless, but I was still out those two days. I said that I thought that I should be given credit for the down time and was offered on day credit. I have yet to see this payment from Hertz who said it would be 5 weeks before it showed.
Second Experience:
• December 28 I had an incident returning from a ride to Fairfield. I was driving on I-5 when a truck in the lane next to me clipped a construction cone and it landed in my lane with no time to avoid so I drove over it. It caused minimal damage to the lower front clip there was no mechanical problems. I called Hertz first because it is easier to contact Hertz. They were satisfied with the assement I gave on the car and said that I should just take it in to the rental location on the next business day.(this was a Friday after five and this was the beginning of the new years weekend.) I finished out my day with one last ride from the airport. When I was home and done for the night driving I then searched for a phone number to let Lyft know about the incedent and to fill out the form.
• December 29 my car was deactivated by Lyft. (I want to say that I would never drive a car that was unsafe where I am responsible for another human life, I took pride in my car the way it looked smelled and would never drive a car for this job that wasn't functioning properly.)
• December 30 at 12:30 am I received and email from Lyft asking for photos of the damage. At 10 am when I read the email sent the night before. It clearly says they will review and return decision in 24hrs which would have been 10am December 31. This is on Lyft they are the ones who put me out of business. My car was not active for five days till after the busiest days of the year for Lyft. ( I was told by one of the Lyft intake people/driver on January 2 when my rental location re opened that he made close to 600$ in about 3 ½ hours on the 31st) I was sick to my stomach and felt like crying I had just missed the weekend I planned for since the beginning the weekend that would put me in the green and keep me from having to borrow money for gas so I could work. I would like to add that I was in constant contact with the customer support from the time I noticed that my car was deactivated. Bugging them about the reactivation because new yrs eve was just hours away. I received no responses from Lyft until January 2
• January 2 (which was also the day of my 30 day renewal ) I took the car to my rental location and Hertz again was great and renewed my rental and gave me a new but very dirty car (because of the Altima recall they said they didnt have time to detail it) That was fine I cleaned the cars after I drove the cars away from hertz because none of the cars I had were clean enough for me or my standards. This car was the worst sand ashes and it smelled like smoke.
So I have lost a good 5 ½ days of drive time now and get out on the road. I had the best week prior to the cone incident so my week was paid for and I try to work to make up for the lost time so that I can make enough extra to pay for the gas for the next week, and its not working. It is and has slowed down a lot now from the holidays.
I contact Lyft and ask to get the time back after the weekend because of the fact that I struggled but I made my 20 ride minimum by Monday but was short on the rental charge.(this is something I just realized since writing this letter that my rental agreement was Wed-Wed yet the payment was being taken on Mon. Why is that my payment should have been Wed. So I was always three days behind plus all the other days I lost no wonder I was sinking and not making any money). So ask Lyft for the credit and I was told would that I could be reimbursed by Lyft. Now Lyft is telling me its Hertz who has to do it. When it is obviously Lyft who was to blame on the fact that they took five days to release my car. Now I have been pushed back and forth between the two companies and got nothing solved and lost my job all my money and my confidence.
I only received 56$ of my 250$ deposite. Been accused of keeping a car I returned to my location on Wednesday January 9. I have Never received my credit from the lost time of the first credit nor was I compensated for the five that put me out of business. The correspondences I received and the run around I was given has left my experiences with Lyft and Hertz as unprofessional and very unhelpful. I never felt like either of the companies were there to help me be a success or there when I needed assistance. only felt like I was being taken for a ride. How ironic! I feel robbed of my dignity and my deposit while I was giving 200% and making a good impression on my riders for a company who was only out to take my money and put me out of business.
So that is the experience I had in the Express Drive program through Lyft and Hertz. I hope that these issues will be dealt with and that I am reimbursed so that I can get back to work and back on the road.

cc:

Regards,

Kahe B. Stone

Notes:
• Lyft
◦ work week is on a Monday to Monday time line.
◦ Lyft applied all earnings toward the Hertz rental till the weekly amount was paid.
◦ Lyft charged for the rental from Hertz on Mondays (my rental agreement was a Wednesday to Wednesday time line.
• Hertz
◦ rental week Wednesday to Wednesday time line for charges.
◦ 20 ride minimum requirement deadline for that week at 10 am Wednesday.
Here are a few thought I had while going over all of this and I had not thought of at the time or even questioned. I just let Lyft and Hertz do as they did I believe I trust that all is going to be fare and just because the two companies had successful business and the pros I was the new kid.
1. I thought that a tip was a gift from my rider for me not part of my earnings made for Lyft, and the tips were just taken and I never had a choice.
2. The charge for the rental was processed on Monday through my Lyft account to Hertz. My rental was on a Wednesday to Wednesday time line, so why was I charged on Monday.

Edited by a moderator to remove personal information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is still too long. You need to remove all commentary and stick to facts only. For instance:

• December 11 the car was exchanged no problem this I will say I give I thumbs up because the exchange process was painless, but I was still out those two days. I said that I thought that I should be given credit for the down time and was offered on day credit. I have yet to see this payment from Hertz who said it would be 5 weeks before it showed.

All that you need is:

• December 11 the car was exchanged no problem. I requested a credit for the two data, I have yet to see this payment from Hertz ,who said it would be 5 weeks before it showed.

You need to trim everything similarly.

Jul 13, 2016
I haven't any experience with Lyft and Hertz program, but as this happened on a holiday weekend, I am not surprised Lyft did not contact you again until 02 January. It is possible that the people that staff this department of Lyft do not work Sundays or holidays.

I took your second letter and drew a line through all the extra sentences that you could easily delete. You want to make your letter short, so the first person reading it wants to help you and can then contact you for further information.

My name is Kahe Stone and I am writing this letter today to share my recent experiences in the Lyft Hertz Express Drive program. When I passed the background check I was I sold my car for 300$ just so I could pay for the great new opportunity that I was being offered by Lyft and Hertz. II was ready. I had wanted to do the ride share gig since it started with Uber, and now I was getting my chance.
Well the new smell wore off fast, real fast, like 3 days, because thats when the first experience occurred. Before that this is the way I understood the agreements between myself and Hertz and Lyft.

First Experience:
• December 7 the first car was faulty, bad battery and transmission. Due to this happening on the weekend with no where for me to exchange the car till Monday, so right at the beginning I lost two days of drive time.
Second Experience:
• December 28 I had an incident returning from a ride to Fairfield. I was driving on I-5 when a truck in the lane next to me clipped a construction cone and it landed in my lane with no time to avoid so I drove over it. It caused minimal damage to the lower front clip there was no mechanical problems. I called Hertz first because it is easier to contact Hertz. They were satisfied with the assessment I gave on the car and said that I should just take it in to the rental location on the next business day.(this was a Friday after five and this was the beginning of the new years weekend.) I finished out my day with one last ride from the airport. When I was home and done for the night driving I then searched for a phone number to let Lyft know about the incedent and to fill out the form.
• December 29 my car was deactivated by Lyft. (I want to say that I would never drive a car that was unsafe where I am responsible for another human life, I took pride in my car the way it looked smelled and would never drive a car for this job that wasn't functioning properly.)
• December 30 at 12:30 am I received and email from Lyft asking for photos of the damage. At 10 am when I read the email sent the night before. It clearly says they will review and return decision in 24hrs which would have been 10am December 31. This is on Lyft they are the ones who put me out of business. My car was not active for five days till after the busiest days of the year for Lyft. ( I was told by one of the Lyft intake people/driver on January 2 when my rental location re opened that he made close to 600$ in about 3 ½ hours on the 31st) I was sick to my stomach and felt like crying I had just missed the weekend I planned for since the beginning the weekend that would put me in the green and keep me from having to borrow money for gas so I could work. I would like to add that I was in constant contact with the customer support from the time I noticed that my car was deactivated. Bugging them about the reactivation because new yrs eve was just hours away. I received no responses from Lyft until January 2
• January 2 (which was also the day of my 30 day renewal ) I took the car to my rental location and Hertz again was great and renewed my rental and gave me a new but very dirty car (because of the Altima recall they said they didnt have time to detail it) That was fine I cleaned the cars after I drove the cars away from hertz because none of the cars I had were clean enough for me or my standards. This car was the worst sand ashes and it smelled like smoke.
So I have lost a good 5 ½ days of drive time now and get out on the road. I had the best week prior to the cone incident so my week was paid for and I try to work to make up for the lost time so that I can make enough extra to pay for the gas for the next week, and its not working. It is and has slowed down a lot now from the holidays.
I contact Lyft and ask to get the time back after the weekend because of the fact that I struggled but I made my 20 ride minimum by Monday but was short on the rental charge.(this is something I just realized since writing this letter that my rental agreement was Wed-Wed yet the payment was being taken on Mon. Why is that my payment should have been Wed. So I was always three days behind plus all the other days I lost no wonder I was sinking and not making any money). So ask Lyft for the credit and I was told would that I could be reimbursed by Lyft. Now Lyft is telling me its Hertz who has to do it. When it is obviously Lyft who was to blame on the fact that they took five days to release my car. Now I have been pushed back and forth between the two companies and got nothing solved and lost my job all my money and my confidence.
I only received 56$ of my 250$ deposit. Been accused of keeping a car I returned to my location on Wednesday January 9. I have Never received my credit from the lost time of the first credit nor was I compensated for the five that put me out of business. The correspondences I received and the run around I was given has left my experiences with Lyft and Hertz as unprofessional and very unhelpful. I never felt like either of the companies were there to help me be a success or there when I needed assistance. only felt like I was being taken for a ride. How ironic! I feel robbed of my dignity and my deposit while I was giving 200% and making a good impression on my riders for a company who was only out to take my money and put me out of business.
So that is the experience I had in the Express Drive program through Lyft and Hertz. I hope that these issues will be dealt with and that I am reimbursed so that I can get back to work and back on the road.

Feb 17, 2019
OK I shortened it do you think it's ready to be sent.

My name is Kahe Stone and I am writing this letter today to share my recent experiences in the Lyft Hertz Express Drive program I started on December 5 2018..
First Experience:
• December 11 the car was exchanged no problem. I requested a credit for the two days, I have yet to see this payment from Hertz, who said it would be 5 weeks before it showed.
Second Experience:
• December 28 I had an incident returning from a ride to Fairfield. I was driving on I-5 when a truck in the lane next to me clipped a construction cone and it landed in my lane with no time to avoid so I drove over it. It caused minimal damage to the lower front clip there was no mechanical problems. I called Hertz first because it is easier to contact Hertz. They were satisfied with the assessment I gave on the car and said that I should just take it in to the rental location on the next business day.
• December 29 my car was deactivated by Lyft.
• January 2 (which was also the day of my 30 day renewal ) I took the car to my rental location and Hertz again was great and renewed my rental.
So I have lost a good 5 ½ days of drive time now and get out on the road. I contact Lyft and ask to be credited for the lost 5 days,and I was told that I could be reimbursed by Lyft. Now Lyft is telling me its Hertz who has to do it. When it is obviously Lyft who was to blame on the fact that they took five days to release my car. Now I have been pushed back and forth between the two companies and got nothing solved.
I only received 56$ of my 250$ deposit. Been accused of keeping a car I returned to my location on Wednesday January 9. I have Never received my credit from the lost time of the first credit nor was I compensated for the five that put me out of business.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You were good until you got to here. I suggest you change the rest:

-December 30 at 12:30 am I received an email from Lyft asking for photos of the damage. It clearly says they will review and return decision in 24hrs which would have been 10am December 31. This did not happen. My car was not active for five days till after the busiest days of the year for Lyft. I potentially lost hundreds of dollars by not being able to drive New Years Eve and the rest of the weekend. I received no responses from Lyft until January 2
-January 2 (which was also the day of my 30 day renewal ) I took the car to my rental location and Hertz renewed my rental.
-I lost at least 5 ½ days of drive but had to pay for the rental for those days Lyft kept the car out of service.
- I contact Lyft and ask to be credited for the lost 5 days,and I was told that I could be reimbursed by Lyft. Now Lyft is telling me its Hertz who has to do it. Lyft was the one who took the car out of service and so am requesting Lyft pay for my rental costs for those days.
- I only received 56$ of my 250$ deposit and was accused of keeping a car I returned to my location on Wednesday January 9.
- I am asking for Lyft to reimburse me for the days you kept the car out of service so I can get back to work.