Hertz Issue for Rideshare Driver

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 21, 2019
Hello, my name is eddie hill my drivers license# is XXXXXXXX. I came from Jacksonville to Miami to work in the uber/lyft drivers program, in which hertz supports the program with the renting of vehicles on a weekly basis. I rented a vehicle and was carjacked by gun point by 3 men the incident put me into a servere traumatic situation and i had to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital , where i was diagnosed with PTSD, this was the first time in my life i faced the barrel of a gun and it nearly destroyed me. I'm 50 yrs old with 4 little kids 12,11,7,and 5 and i joined uber to make money to help my family causr we are struggling. Driving a hertz vehicle i was able to give them a Christmas this past year. I'm in need to rent again so i can get them some school supplies and uniforms for the start of school. Hertz have put me on a permanent do not rent list, cause when i was carjacked i didn't report it, but i had no control of the traumatic feeling that took over my body, i don't remember where i was cause i wasn't originally from miami , however when the police caught the persons who carjacked me the FBI came to interview me and i showed him on my lyft app the date and time of my carjacking. The hertz vehicle was returned, but hertz has put that i stole the vehicle and im asking to please please please don't hold it against me, i never stole your vehicle and i didn't want these guys to carjack. Can you please allow me to rent again so i can work for uber and help my kids prepare for school. I hope you find sympathy and compassion for my story and reinstate me to rent. May GOD bless you. Thanks

Jul 21, 2019
I did explain i gave them the hospital name the FBI Agent name and the name of my therapy clinic that i I've been going to for 5 months all they said was sorry and there decision was final, there not reinstating me. I just wish they really see it from my point of view

Jul 21, 2019
I can't get a actual police report cause i don't know the street i was on cause i used gps from my phone and I'm not originally from miami, so i couldn't just walk in the police station and file one, however the FBI that interview me said that there is one for when the guys were caught and arrested. The FBI checked my lyft app to check my story and took pictures of my app to use against the persons who wete arrested

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
As Neil says, you should write to Hertz using our contacts. Unless you have already done that, it's unlikely that the people you have been dealing with have the ability to override the decision.

Mar 23, 2015
I can't get a actual police report cause i don't know the street i was on cause i used gps from my phone and I'm not originally from miami, so i couldn't just walk in the police station and file one, however the FBI that interview me said that there is one for when the guys were caught and arrested. The FBI checked my lyft app to check my story and took pictures of my app to use against the persons who wete arrested
I'm confused. Did you not report it to Hertz OR the police at the time of the carjacking? Did it only get reported after the fact when the FBI got involved? HOW did they get involved? Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but I'm having trouble following the timeline of events. Try to understand Hertz's perspective. All they know is that at some point a car YOU were driving disappeared with no word from YOU as to why...

Mar 18, 2019
I would start by working backwards. Contact the FBI agent you talked to and see if they can provide a copy of their investigation report. You may have to wait until the trial concludes if the actual thieves have not been convicted yet... If you don't know how the FBI got involved, ask him how. Try to work your way backwards until you have all of the relevant chain of events and as many reports as you can get a copy of. With those in hand, you need to write to the Hertz executive contacts and emphasize the relevant facts:

1) You were driving a rented car at (DATE and TIME).
2) You were carjacked.
3) Following the carjacking, the stress of the situation caused you to overlook reporting it to Hertz.
4) The police and/or FBI were notified (how?) and conducted an investigation.
5) The FBI has arrested at least one person in conjunction with their investigation into the theft.
6) The vehicle has been recovered and returned to Hertz.

Mention in your e-mail that you have copies of police/FBI reports that you can provide if requested, but DO NOT attach them to your initial e-mail or it could be rejected by the company's spam firewall.

I would not include details about the PTSD or therapy, nor any details about your family situation, your financial situation, or your children. Those details aren't relevant to the business transaction that occurred and only serve to increase the length of your e-mail.

Also, read this before you write. It'll help you write a better letter: https://www.elliott.org/answers/how-to-fix-your-own-consumer-problem/

-- SR

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I was unaware that the FBI investigates anything like this??? I would think this would be totally the local police unless they kidnapped you and drove you across the state line.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have to agree with Sedimentary about mentioning PTSD. Both Lyft and Uber state you must be medically fit to drive:

By providing Services as a Driver on the Lyft Platform, you represent, warrant, and agree that:

1. You possess a valid driver’s license and are authorized and medically fit to operate a motor vehicle and have all appropriate licenses, approvals and authority to provide transportation to Riders in all jurisdictions in which you provide Services.
PTSD is a medical condition and you may be required to have doctors certify you are able to drive with it.

Mar 18, 2019
I was unaware that the FBI investigates anything like this??? I would think this would be totally the local police unless they kidnapped you and drove you across the state line.
I can see a few cases in which FBI might be involved: (1) the car was recovered in a different state than the OP reported it stolen or (2) the person arrested for the theft was part of a multistate theft ring that the FBI was working to take down.

Sep 19, 2015
Apparently violent armed robbery has gotten very bad in South Florida -- so the FBI has stepped in to help local law enforcement -- here is information on a robbery of a drug store:

The FBI and its South Florida Violent Crime Task Force are involved in this matter as part of an initiative to assist local law enforcement agencies in combating violent armed robberies.

https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/fiel...es-photographs-of-an-armed-robbery-in-miramar

I too was surprised to read of the FBI involvement so I did a search and it looks like the FBI is releasing images, etc --

And it looks like armed carjacking can be charged as a Federal Crime -- especially if there is a fatality or serious injury

Whoever, with intent to cause death or serious bodily harm takes a motor vehicle that has been transported, shipped, or received in interstate or foreign commerce from the person or presence of another by force and violence or by intimidation, or attempts to do so, shall (1) be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 15 years or both, (2) if serious bodily injury results, be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 25 years, or both, and (3) if death results, be fined under this title or imprisoned for any number of years up to life, or both or sentenced to death (emphasis added to highlight the 1994 changes to the statute).

https://www.justice.gov/jm/criminal-resource-manual-1110-carjacking-statute

Jul 21, 2019
Thanks for the insight guys, to help some understand why the FBI was involved, is because the carjackers committed alot of crimes while using the car i no for sure it was some robberies and i believe some assaults, but i was interviewed by the FBI to get a timeline on when the car was took and where was i in all of this. As for the PTSD, i was diagnosed with it because of the fear that came with it and the nightmares, but i been in therapy 5 days a week to get through it and now i go 2 days a week and im not afraid anymore and i can get clarence from the doctor if needed. I will continue to write hertz and hopefully they'll reconsider reinstating me because of the circumstances. Your ideas and thoughts have really helped me out here and i appreciate them all thanks guys and gals

Jul 21, 2019
I'm confused. Did you not report it to Hertz OR the police at the time of the carjacking? Did it only get reported after the fact when the FBI got involved? HOW did they get involved? Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but I'm having trouble following the timeline of events. Try to understand Hertz's perspective. All they know is that at some point a car YOU were driving disappeared with no word from YOU as to why...
When i was carjacked, in miami i went into a total shock and breakdown, i didn't report it at the time cause i didn't have a clue what was happening to me. I was taken to a psychiatric hospital, where they kept me for a week, and me still not able to process anything, they released me to a therapy clinic and that's where the FBI came to visit at one of the homes the clinic owns. It was about 2 months later and that's when they said they caught the guys and they did some bad stuff. So they was taking over the case, he also mentioned i didn't have to testify cause they had enough on them and then i reached out to hertz and explained all that happened and they said. "Sorry to hear but they will not reinstate me and that was their final decision

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I have to agree with Sedimentary about mentioning PTSD. Both Lyft and Uber state you must be medically fit to drive:

By providing Services as a Driver on the Lyft Platform, you represent, warrant, and agree that:

1. You possess a valid driver’s license and are authorized and medically fit to operate a motor vehicle and have all appropriate licenses, approvals and authority to provide transportation to Riders in all jurisdictions in which you provide Services.
PTSD is a medical condition and you may be required to have doctors certify you are able to drive with it.
I agree but should this warrant him being on a DNR list too?