Hertz False Fuel Charge

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 20, 2018
After submitting my help form, it was requested of me to post my case onto this forum. To make it simple for me, I simply copied my form text below. Honestly, I was hoping someone would be able to help me quickly resolve this issue and not turn it into a longer process than it needs to be. But please see below for my incident and let me know if something can be done. Thanks.

Company you have a question or comment about: Hertz Rent a Car

Hello,

To keep it brief, I had a rental with Hertz for two days. I refuel the car before I return it as I've done every time and many times. I receive a letter in the mail a few weeks later that they needed to add 9.3 gallons of fuel after my return and billed my card $39.55. Because this is my first incident, I have not been retaining gas receipts or taking pictures of my full tank. I do have my bank transactions showing the amount of fuel I purchased those two days. Some common sense math with my Corolla's fuel efficiency and the distance I drove show that the amounts align. Therefore, it's impossible that I did not return the car with a full tank, let alone with half the tank missing. The customer service rep said they could not help me because I do not have said evidence. Why the burden of proof is on the customer is a whole separate matter. I submitted my logic and bank transactions to verify@hertz.com and am currently awaiting a response, but I am not expecting it to be timely. I found your service when googling solutions out of frustration and am hoping someone can help me expedite a resolution as well as bring awareness to another strike against Hertz.

What's your desired resolution? At minimum, I desire a refund of my charge. If possible, I would like an explanation on how this type of business/customer service model is acceptable. Hertz reps managing returns should be the ones accountable if someone returns an unfilled vehicle... not immediately charge the customer if it's discovered after the initial bill was issued. In addition, making their customers feel like they need to collect evidence after every rental to defend themselves from incidents like this should be grounds for FTC action.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 40

Date of transaction/travel date: 09/16/2018

Case number/reservation number: 104118210

Oct 20, 2018
Yes, I returned the car at Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson where they have a team of representatives directing all the return vehicles and checking them.

Yes, I purchased gas and immediately drove to the airport. Because this was Atlanta, I did not refuel "down the street" from the airport, but within 20 miles, I would not burn 9 gallons of fuel in a Corolla.

For reference, I drove 363 miles as listed on my Hertz bill. During that time, I refueled at two instances (once the day before and once prior to returning) as listed on my credit card transactions... it sums up to $33.69. I'm estimating ~$2.60/gal of fuel at the time, so about 12 gallons of fuel was consumed during my rental... Corollas are listed at 30mpg city, so ~360 theoretical miles of distance were covered by my fuel purchases.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Seems to me that you would keep the receipt with the date/time on it, just as a matter of common sense.
I realize the younger generation. Doesn’t really even believe in receipts these days, but this one should be self-evident.
I am so sorry you are caught in this fraud/mistake. Hard to know which it is.
I’m hoping your logic rules in the end but I don’t put a lot of faith in that method these days.

Oct 20, 2018
Misplaced trust after 10+ rentals without an incident like this. Still relatively new to interacting with rental companies. I'm sure that I'm retaining receipts/photos from now on.

Jul 27, 2016
Seems to me that you would keep the receipt with the date/time on it, just as a matter of common sense.
I realize the younger generation. Doesn’t really even believe in receipts these days, but this one should be self-evident.
I am so sorry you are caught in this fraud/mistake. Hard to know which it is.
I’m hoping your logic rules in the end but I don’t put a lot of faith in that method these days.
If the OP got a receipt from Hertz with fuel level marked 8/8, what would be the purpose of keeping a gas station receipt? If you like hoarding paper I suppose...

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
If the OP got a receipt from Hertz with fuel level marked 8/8, what would be the purpose of keeping a gas station receipt? If you like hoarding paper I suppose...
Where does he state he got a receipt from Hertz? Can’t find it.
Seems like if he has one the he is in the clear.

Oct 20, 2018
Correct, I have an email receipt from Hertz from the original rental, and then the fuel charge was a separate and additional charge that I received a few weeks later.

Oct 20, 2018
No... the charge was framed in the context that whatever the receipt lists is subject to audit. Supposedly whatever occurred from receiving the car and issuing the initial receipt doesn't matter because maintenance apparently had to refuel. Whether irresponsibility let the car idle, somehow a system error attached a refuel to my car, etc. I don't know. But it should not be my problem.

Sep 19, 2015
If it was checked in at 8/8 and you have a charge statement then I think you have a good argument even without the receipt.

By the credit cards companies can often get copies of the receipts; have you asked about that?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Are there any time stamps on when car was received and when maintenance required fuel to be added?
There just needs to be some way for Hertz to know what happened.
Suppose an employee took it home one night and then brought it back to work he next day, minus a bit of fuel.
I think you need to follow the rental car issue instructions and ask for all the paperwork so you can try to perform a forensic audit of what happened.
This would be, of course, after you do hear back from them.

Sep 19, 2015
If it was checked in at 8/8 and you have a charge statement then I think you have a good argument even without the receipt.

By the credit cards companies can often get copies of the receipts; have you asked about that?
Argh I see no way to edit my post --- I meant to say by the way, credit cards companies can get you copies .....

It was a photocopy of the actual white charge slip.

Dec 19, 2014
The desired resolution is an explanation and more accountability on the location so that this doesn't happen again.
The realistic resolution is a refund of the unwarranted charges followed by some hogwash about how they are doing this as a gesture of goodwill.

1) What does your return receipt say? Every rental receipt I have says "Fuel 8/8 OUT 8/8 IN"
2) The bank should be able to recover a specific statement from a merchant if necessary

What I find strange is how they arrived at $39.55 for 9.3 gallons. Usually if you don't fill it up, the rate is something extremely punitive like $9-10/gallon