Hertz Employee discriminated and treated me badly, resulted with me on the DNR List

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2015
“I had no problem turning around.
Before I turn around, the normal thing to do is to show the manager some examples and proof to my reasoning.”

The reason they ask people to turn around so as to not hold up the line of people trying to exit. That is not the place to show “proof of reasoning”.

FQTVLR posted that they had a similar request and the delay after pulling aside was 10 minutes.

What happened in the 3 hours.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Sorry mate. If you're asked to turn around, the normal thing is to turn around. Not sit in the same spot and present your argument.
Why should someone turn around when they have earned expedited service? This ought to have been resolvable at the car without having to turn around.

Also, I worked for one of Hertz's largest customers for more than 20 years, I was never challenged on my way out and asked to show proof of employment (even though they could have asked). I can't imagine the USAA discount is any better. What is so great about USAA that would make Hertz so protective over it?

I do agree that we need to hear the full story - or you can write to the Hertz Company contacts that we have provided in the link above, and let us know what happens.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Why should someone turn around when they have earned expedited service? This ought to have been resolvable at the car without having to turn around.

Also, I worked for one of Hertz's largest customers for more than 20 years, I was never challenged on my way out and asked to show proof of employment (even though they could have asked). I can't imagine the USAA discount is any better. What is so great about USAA that would make Hertz so protective over it?

I do agree that we need to hear the full story - or you can write to the Hertz Company contacts that we have provided in the link above, and let us know what happens.
I believe this may have happened because there is so much fraudulent use of the USAA discount codes for rentals when folks aren't actually entititled to them.

Here is an issue going back to 2015 with this:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avi...reak/1695806-budget-usaa-discount-denied.html

To our OP - your profile indicates you are 20 years old. Kudos to you for being able to obtain Presidential Status when you are under 25 years old. That's an amazing feat.

Sep 19, 2015

The discount is larger and includes a certain amount of CDW and waiver of other fees.

The situation has changed in just a few years. There are now websites listing discount.codes — and that has been abused

There is likely something in terms and conditions that allows for verification— and it seems that USAA code usage is under audit.

Why should someone turn around? Well they are asked to — and are holding up the line.’

Just because one has info on file for expedited service does not mean that verification may be needed—

Sep 18, 2018
Why should someone turn around? Well they are asked to — and are holding up the line.’

Just because one has info on file for expedited service does not mean that verification may be needed—
And they don't own the $20,000+ car that they are driving off of the lot. The company represented by the employee asking them to turn around does. It's as simple as that.

That doesn't mean being asked to turn around is not fair or not a bother. But that is what it boils down to: You turn around *because it's not your car*, you provide the information needed and you go along your merry way. *Then* you follow up with customer service and complain about the annoyance and the process and discrimination or whatever, and maybe you get an apology and a few reward points or a future discount.

But the whole reason we're having this discussion is because that wasn't done.

Jul 30, 2018

Why turn around? At minimum to keep the exit line from backing up and penalizing fellow patrons for something they had no part of. Presumably, this was what the employee was trying to avoid by asking the OP to turn around.

Ultimately the prudent thing to do was pull aside and sort the matter out quickly and calmly. A previous poster stated that when a similar thing happened to him, it was resolved in just 10 minutes. The OP ended up making a very serious accusation about the employee and racism which, I'm guessing, was ultimately the reason for placement on the DNR list.

May 1, 2018
Expedited service isn't a constitutional right; it's a perk offered by the rental car company. In this instance, there was some issue that needed to be addressed and they were unable to offer the expedited service. This wasn't a personal affront against the OP.

If the OP was dissatisfied with being asked to turn around, the correct way to communicate his displeasure is through executive escalation, not a Mexican standoff at the exit gate.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Dave hasn’t answered our questions on what happened during the three hours he was in the office- he simply said he was on the phone for 65 minutes. That tells us nothing. Something else went on during that time in the office to cause the DNR report.

Weihlac gave Dave the only help we can give in post #2- he gave Dave the contacts and the thread on how to write.

We can’t help any further trying to construct a letter to help him because we don’t have any more details on what occurred after he turned around.

Dave, please follow the info in post 2 and let us know the outcome after the full process was followed. Good luck.

Sep 27, 2018
No a picture on a phone just showed that the code was used before — it does not show eligibility. I can use the code — and have nothing to do with USAA — In 20 seconds I found the codes for enlistees for the National Guard, State of WI employees, and more — none of which I am eligible to use. If I get away with it once that does not mean I am eligible for it the second time.

These codes are on so many different website now that there is increased verification.
My point is that what practical difference is there between carrying a physical AAA card and having a picture of it on a phone. Same info is presented. I don't carry my National Card around, all that info in the App already, including discounts and rates I can use.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I would hope that accusing someone of racism wouldn't result in someone being put on a DNR list. I don't know whether racism actually occurred in this instance but it does happen. As for the car belonging to Hertz being a reason to justify delaying a customer, the customer had a legal agreement to drive the car. We don't know whether he was entitled to use the discount code. If he wasn't that was an acceptable reason to ask him to turn around. Otherwise it was unacceptable to delay him if he was able to prove his case at the exit. Anyway, I am closing this thread now since I believe it's run it's course.

Status
Not open for further replies.