Hertz Employee discriminated and treated me badly, resulted with me on the DNR List

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2019
I am a president circle member and I have been renting with Hertz for over 2 years now.
I rent approximately a car a month.
I have never had a problem with any Hertz employee in the past, I even fill out all the surveys I receive via email.

On June 26th I had a reservation from the LGA location, pickup at 4:00 pm.
When I got to the exit gate the system was having a problem allowing me to take the car I was pulling out with, the gate agent said that he sees I have usaa, so I can use the car, but the manager needs to come and override it.

The manager (Mohammed Uddin) came to the exit gate and told me to turn around.

I respectfully informed him that I am a usaa member and I never have a problem renting this class car.
I pulled up on my phone a rental receipt from the week before showing that I rented that class car.

He refused to look at my receipts or look at the CDP code, instead, he started screaming at me.

I then asked why he was giving me such a hard time and explained to him that I have been renting with Hertz for a long time and have never had a run-in with any Hertz employee and have only had positive experiences, I asked if he had something against me personally, maybe my looks or my religion.
As I am a religious Jew and I felt extremely discriminated against.

He replied in a nasty tone "if you bring up *YOUR* religion again, I will make sure you never rent from Hertz again"

I replied saying I apologize if I offended you, but I don't see how a valued customer can be treated that way.

He then took my drivers license and wrote down on a piece of paper my name and New York state ID number.

I asked him why he just wrote that down, as I am in the Hertz system and that information is on my profile and there is no reason to have that sensitive information laying around. Then I asked him for the paper.

He then took out his PRIVATE phone and took a picture of the paper then handed it back to me.

I told him that I think it was highly unprofessional to use his private Device for hertz business related documents, and I requested he deleted the picture.

At this point I immediately called Hertz corporate customer service to inform them on what was happening, we spoke for over an hour and they gave me an email address to complain about the employee. (Attached call info)

I ended up finally leaving the location with a car at 7 pm (3 hours after I arrived)

One week goes by and I am trying to make a reservation for another rental and it is not allowing me to sign in to my account.

I contacted Hertz and was told to call the DNR team to find out what is going on.

They told me I was not allowed to rent from Hertz because I was disrespectful to a Hertz employee.

I am completely shocked!
I, a "valued" customer, get discriminated against by a manager from their organization, and instead of an apology, I get blacklisted???

I really hope I can get this worked out ASAP, as I enjoy renting with Hertz out of their ATL location as I am there once a month for business.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Here are the Hertz contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hertz/

Read these posts before emailing Hertz:
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

https://www.elliott.org/answers/how-to-fix-your-own-consumer-problem/

In the meantime get accounts with other rental agencies, Avis/National/Enterprise, etc because to fix this will take weeks or months.

You will not be able to rent from Thrifty/Dollar as they are owned by Hertz.

May 30, 2019
Welcome to NY. :-(

You may need to decide after reading through the posts noted above if you will be contrite or defensive. Unfortunately, both have implications. Being contrite might mean suggesting you were at fault when you believe you were not. Being defensive might be perceived as attacking. I suggest trying to find a balance by stating facts and requesting only that you be allowed to rent again from Hertz/Thrifty/Dollar. In the meantime, I agree with weihlac, it's time to get set up with other rental agencies -- maybe National will match status.

Sep 19, 2015
There has been a problem with people using the USAA code and not being eligible for it -- the code has been passed around the internet like a bad computer virus, and there are anecdotal stories that Hertz has been cracking down on it since late June -- the issue is that various benefits are for USAA insurance eligible customers only -- versus bank only customers or people that just use the discount code without any justification. There is a thread on this issue on another forum addressing this issue from late June and the post mentioning the crackdown is dated June 29th..

So you may have been caught in the crackdown

Was there a reason that you did not back up and address this? A receipt from a previous rental may not have been enough as this is a recent enforcement of eligibility. There is a chance that this has nothing to do with religion. The computer system for some reason flagged the rental and that is why you were not allowed to leave.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
"The manager (Mohammed Uddin) came to the exit gate and told me to turn around." Christina stated it much more nicely than I will: Your whole post goes on and on about discrimination and bad treatment, but the question is never answered: WHY did he want you to turn around? Therein lies the crux of your issue. Kindly share that fact with us.

Sep 18, 2018
"The manager (Mohammed Uddin) came to the exit gate and told me to turn around." Christina stated it much more nicely than I will: Your whole post goes on and on about discrimination and bad treatment, but the question is never answered: WHY did he want you to turn around? Therein lies the crux of your issue. Kindly share that fact with us.
And why didn't you simply turn around, as he requested, to resolve the issue? That refusal is what seems to have started the entire episode, which unfortunately escalated from there, leading to the ban.

Dec 19, 2014
Though my first inclination is outrage on behalf of the OP, logic tells me there is more to this story.

DNR lists are not a trivial matter. There is no way Hertz will put a customer on a DNR list for a trivial matter. There must be clear documentation and evidence presented. The biggest complaint from managers at a location is that corporate often overturns DNR requests. The last thing that corporate wants is to lose a loyal guest, so what happened? Did you lose your cool with the manager? Were police involved? Was there an altercation?

My recommendations? Drop the discrimination claim. Apologize and state that you want to continue to use Hertz, and then it is out of your control.

Sep 19, 2015
I think there may have been a spot check on the eligibility of the use of the USAA discount (cdp) code. I can easily find it online (7XXXX). Yet I am not eligible to use the code as I am not USAA insurance member. There are websites that give advice on how to use corporate discount codes one is not eligible for and not getting caught. This has led to car companies spot checking eligibility— either before or after a rental.

I used an AAA discount on my last rental and picked up my car and went to gate to check out. If there had been a problem I would have reversed and dealt with it. Yes it would have been annoying but not a massive burden. Showing I used the AAA discount in the past would not mean I am eligible now — for instance I did not renew. If the corporations computer system did not allow me to exit I would not blame the local manager who is not a programmer and making the system.

Jun 13, 2019
I too am a regular Hertz renter. I skip the line and simply go and get the car. On July 1 as I was leaving the New Orleans airport site I was asked to return so that they could verify some information--specifically that I was entitled to the USAA discount. I reversed, parked and waited a few minutes for the manager to arrive at my car. I showed my USAA proof of insurance card as well as a USAA card I have had for years. The manager thanked me and I was on my way in less than 10 minutes. No arguing and I got a great recommendation for a small local restaurant off the beaten tourist path.

Jun 13, 2019
I too am a regular Hertz renter. I skip the line and simply go and get the car. On July 1 as I was leaving the New Orleans airport site I was asked to return so that they could verify some information--specifically that I was entitled to the USAA discount. I reversed, parked and waited a few minutes for the manager to arrive at my car. I showed my USAA proof of insurance card as well as a USAA card I have had for years. The manager thanked me and I was on my way in less than 10 minutes. No arguing and I got a great recommendation for a small local restaurant off the beaten tourist path.
I actually thought they were simply making sure I had insurance.

Sep 19, 2015
I actually thought they were simply making sure I had insurance.
Thank you for posting your very recent and relevant experience.

From my understanding USAA members who have the insurance products are granted some free CDW benefits and there is no extra fee for under 21 drivers when renting from Hertz.

There was a limited time when anyone could sign up for USAA bank account but that was changed— the insurance is only for those who are in or had military service or certain family members of those who had insurance from being in the military.

So looking at the insurance card verified that you are eligible for not only the discount but the included free but with some limits CDW.

My nephew served and has USAA insurance and gets the discounts.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Thank you for posting your very recent and relevant experience.

So looking at the insurance card verified that you are eligible for not only the discount but the included free but with some limits CDW.
Unless stationed overseas with an overseas insurance policy, USAA insurance won't provide coverage of the rental car except stateside (and only within the limits of your USAA policy). The USAA Visa and American Express card though do provide CDW benefits if used to pay for the rental.

If you don't pay with a USAA credit card, I've heard they may ask for your USAA membership number to verify your eligibility.

Some other benefits besides a discount that the USAA CDP code provides are:

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Sep 19, 2015
Thank you Dwayne for finding the exact benefits of the program. Not being charged the famous loss of use and such can be beneficial is there is an accident. We have seen here that many insurance policies do not cover that and the renter is billed for it.

And you have heard of car rental asking to see the insurance card to verify eligibility, which is what FQTVLR experienced earlier this month.

I am not sure why the OP did not just back up and show proof of eligibility -- showing the card instead of a receipt on the phone -- one has to show the DL to exit so wallet is usually close by-- but I imagine the situation went downhill after asking the manager is he was discriminating, which of course is in violation of the law.

"I asked if he had something against me personally, maybe my looks or my religion. "

I do not know how easy it is to get off a DNR list.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Thank you Dwayne for finding the exact benefits of the program. Not being charged the famous loss of use and such can be beneficial is there is an accident. We have seen here that many insurance policies do not cover that and the renter is billed for it.

And you have heard of car rental asking to see the insurance card to verify eligibility, which is what FQTVLR experienced earlier this month.

I am not sure why the OP did not just back up and show proof of eligibility -- showing the card instead of a receipt on the phone -- one has to show the DL to exit so wallet is usually close by-- but I imagine the situation went downhill after asking the manager is he was discriminating, which of course is in violation of the law.

"I asked if he had something against me personally, maybe my looks or my religion. "

I do not know how easy it is to get off a DNR list.
As far as I am able to determine, you don't have to have USAA insurance policy to use the CDP, you just need to be a member and have a USAA member number which can be verified by USAA. Avis askes for it when using the code, though it doesn't appear to be mandatory to provide it at the time the reservation is made.

I have a feeling this was all Hertz was wanting to do in this case, was to verify eligibility.

Dec 17, 2018
As far as I am able to determine, you don't have to have USAA insurance policy to use the CDP, you just need to be a member and have a USAA member number which can be verified by USAA. Avis askes for it when using the code, though it doesn't appear to be mandatory to provide it at the time the reservation is made.

I have a feeling this was all Hertz was wanting to do in this case, was to verify eligibility.
Seriously???? You only have to be a MEMBER? We are members. I hate their insurance. They rip people off. I have yet to see a good deal on a policy from USAA. But dang those are good benefits for renting a car!!! We may have to actually get proof of membership now that I see what they offer for rentals!

Dec 17, 2018
Seriously???? You only have to be a MEMBER? We are members. I hate their insurance. They rip people off. I have yet to see a good deal on a policy from USAA. But dang those are good benefits for renting a car!!! We may have to actually get proof of membership now that I see what they offer for rentals!
But it sounds like it's just the code I can use... hmmmmm.... I wonder if a USAA credit card would give the same benefits even if you're not insured through them... something to consider. I will never use them for insurance, unfortunately.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
THIS, my dear FQTVLR is how you handle a courteous request. You don't jump off a cliff, start a screaming argument, and accuse someone of discrimination ... or worse. There's a great deal more to this story, methinks.

Sep 27, 2018
THIS, my dear FQTVLR is how you handle a courteous request. You don't jump off a cliff, start a screaming argument, and accuse someone of discrimination ... or worse. There's a great deal more to this story, methinks.
Except who carries an insurance card around? Mine stays in the glove compartment of my card. The fact that this supervisor couldn't understand a picture on a phone provides the same proof. Plus, why wouldn't that info already be in his profile. Sounds like the renter got snagged by someone on a power trip. Seems to me Hertz should be doing the apologizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.