HERTZ ( DO NOT RENTERS LIST)

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 25, 2018
I rented a car from hertz , upon driving to Atlanta from Philadelphia airport , I drove 5 hours and decided to allow my friend to drive a little while i captured some rest. .Needless to say two hours into him driving he was involved in an accident and wasn't a added on driver to the reservation as a driver . THis took place in 2014 several years ago in an Hertz vehicle. My car insurance took care of the claim and I haven't heard anything from hertz besides the fact that my car insurance paid the claim in year 2014. I received a letter in the mail telling me due to my recent accident, Hertz has decided to no longer rent me any vehicles.

I also received another letter telling me I was responsible for the claim amount that was already taken care of by my car insurance. This do not renters list has effected me renting with other companies since hertz has merged with dollar & thrifty my renting history has been revoked , I feel like i'm suffering and i'm asking for leniency because my car insurance paid the claim for the car that was damaged . I have learned from my mistake and i just wish hertz with remove me from the do not renters list because this is ruining my life and every time I run over Priceline and links me up Love Hurts dollar or Thrifty companies I can not rent from due to Hertz Blocking on my name and drivers number . I'am often embarrassed and blackballed by their employees which priceline matches me up with one of Herzt third party companies . I have to fight tooth and nail to get my money back after im educated and embarrassed that I can not rent to three different companies . These crisis has made my traveling horrible every time I'm at the airport I feel like I want to pull my hair out and cry fell almost like a prisoner because of something that I wasn't responsible for and that my insurance paid the price for my shortcomings allowing a friend of mine's to drive a vehicle opposed to me falling asleep behind the wheel. Please someone help me outlive this horrible nightmare of not being able to rent from Herzt this has deeply , my livelihood and has caused me to go into a deep depression anytime I get off the airplane to attempt to rent from anybody.

Mar 17, 2015
The only thing we can advise, is for you to start writing the customer service representatives, one at a time, waiting a week in between each. Also, I think you need to take down your tone a bit when asking Hertz for a reconsideration. I am not sure that it matters, but I do have a question, after you received the letter stating you owed more money, did you get in touch with Hertz about the claim, or just let it go because you assumed your insurance covered everything? Also, did you not add the passenger because of the cost or was there an issue with them renting (suspended license, not old enough, etc.)?

When writing to the executives of Hertz, I would bullet point your letter, and take the emotion out of it. Not being able to rent a vehicle from 3 companies is not really a "horrible nightmare," it is an inconvenience. I would also leave out most of your second paragraph.

Your letter should simply state that a vehicle you rented in 2014 was involved in an accident while an unauthorized driver was operating the vehicle. You regret that you made the decision to not pay the extra fee for adding the driver and have learned from the experience that either you have to pay the fee for the extra driver or pull over to rest until you are able to operate the vehicle safely. If you have rented vehicles from other companies, such as Avis, Budget, Enterprise, etc., with no further accidents, then I would mention that and also that you would like to rent again from Hertz et. al because you like the company, brands they offer, ease of renting, basically flatter Hertz at this point. I would end by stating that Hertz was made whole by your insurance and that it has been almost 5 years, so you would like them to reconsider renting to you again in the future.

Beyond that, I am not sure any of us has the power to make a company do business with you again. Maybe someone else knows if it is simply the policy of the car rental agencies to blacklist a person if a vehicle has been involved in an accident? It seems like there is something more going on here than it being a simply accident, even with the unauthorized driver.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I rented a car from hertz , upon driving to Atlanta from Philadelphia airport , I drove 5 hours and decided to allow my friend to drive a little while i captured some rest. .Needless to say two hours into him driving he was involved in an accident and wasn't a added on driver to the reservation as a driver . THis took place in 2014 several years ago in an Hertz vehicle. My car insurance took care of the claim and I haven't heard anything from hertz besides the fact that my car insurance paid the claim in year 2014. I received a letter in the mail telling me due to my recent accident, Hertz has decided to no longer rent me any vehicles.

I also received another letter telling me I was responsible for the claim amount that was already taken care of by my car insurance. This do not renters list has effected me renting with other companies since hertz has merged with dollar & thrifty my renting history has been revoked , I feel like i'm suffering and i'm asking for leniency because my car insurance paid the claim for the car that was damaged . I have learned from my mistake and i just wish hertz with remove me from the do not renters list because this is ruining my life and every time I run over Priceline and links me up Love Hurts dollar or Thrifty companies I can not rent from due to Hertz Blocking on my name and drivers number . I'am often embarrassed and blackballed by their employees which priceline matches me up with one of Herzt third party companies . I have to fight tooth and nail to get my money back after im educated and embarrassed that I can not rent to three different companies . These crisis has made my traveling horrible every time I'm at the airport I feel like I want to pull my hair out and cry fell almost like a prisoner because of something that I wasn't responsible for and that my insurance paid the price for my shortcomings allowing a friend of mine's to drive a vehicle opposed to me falling asleep behind the wheel. Please someone help me outlive this horrible nightmare of not being able to rent from Herzt this has deeply , my livelihood and has caused me to go into a deep depression anytime I get off the airplane to attempt to rent from anybody.
When you rent via Priceline you are given many options for cars not from Hertz/Thrifty/Dollar. Why do you not use these other providers? There are many. You can also sign up directly with Avis/Budget, National, Enterprise to name a few; these are all large national companies that you can rent directly from. You need to utilize them.

Your problem with Hertz is your violation of the rental contract terms. An unauthorized driver is not looked kindly upon, esp when there is an accident. As suggested above you can reach out to Hertz through the contact list and make your case. There is no outside agency that can compel Hertz to reinstate your rental privileges.

"Because of something that I wasn't responsible for " -- you were responsible for allowing an unauthorized driver to drive your rental. If you tell Hetrz that you were not responsible they will ignore your request. You need to take complete responsibility for the event and hope they will agree to rent to you again.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Neil has given you the links to deal directly with Hertz. Your narrative is a bit rambling and difficult to understand. May I suggest that you make a concise list of the facts in chronological order, ending with an appeal to remove you from the DoNotRent list. From what I have picked up on this forum, the travel provider rarely will explain their action against you, so you can't address the specific reasons for your banishment. Spend some time and read the kind of issues others have had on this forum and the advice they were given, as well as the final outcome.

People who read complaint letters for a living need to totally understand your situation in one read-through. Your job is to make them want to help you. Most complaints put the blame for the problem on someone else, so if you admit to your bad judgement and humbly ask them to "forgive you", your letter may stand out. Be very polite and appreciative of their time. If you want to post a copy of your letter here, we will be happy to have a look at it. Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Dec 19, 2014
Landing on the DNR list is based on something you are responsible for. You allowed a non-authorized driver to drive the vehicle. Whether you did it for a noble cause or not is irrelevant.

Since 4 years has elapsed, your only course of action is a well written letter asking for forgiveness and to be removed from the DNR list. This letter needs to be well written, professional and not have any grammar mistakes. Remember, you are being judged by this letter. The agent reviewing this letter does not know you, and if it is sloppy, contains typos or grammatical errors, it won't be a good reflection of you.

However, there is something that you need to clarify. You have conflicting information in your post. You state the insurance company paid Hertz in full, but then you state that you received a letter stating you were responsible. If you still owe an outstanding balance to Hertz, you will need to offer to settle this amount in full before they will even consider removing you from the DNR list.

Finally, if you know you are on the DNR list, why are you using Priceline and doing opaque bidding? Frankly, this statement makes me question your judgment and whether you have matured enough to learn from your mistakes. If you have to "fight" to get your money back, then don't you think Hertz has this information on file? Have you considered that Hertz may use this information to judge you and perhaps not remove you from the DNR list? I realize my post may come across as being overly harsh, but moving forward, you should not be using opaque bidding if you are banned from 3 companies.

May 26, 2018

While this issue is being resolved may I suggest that you NOT make your rental car arrangements via Priceline? Make them direct with the non-affected car rental companies. You can often find deals as good or better than those on Priceline by searching the coupon listings online. For example, type "Coupon Budget" in the search engine and you may be able to find a discount code.