HERTZ DNR

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 26, 2018
Dear Sir,

I am putting in my case # which I reported to Hertz on April 23rd for a incident which happened on April 20th at Carrollton , TX Location.

Email sent to Hertz customer service on April 23rd Case # 027xxxxx
Dear Sir,
My Hertz GOLD Rewards # is 50xxxxxx. I rent the car from Carrollton, TX location on a weekly basis. This week when I went to the office to rent the car. There was a lady named ASIA SIMPSON. I closed the contract and signed in the new contract for the week of 04/21 to 04/28. I just requested the lady to freshen up the car as I had rented the same car for 3 weeks, and this week will be the 4th week. There was a foul smell coming in the car. She asked me to come at 11 AM then she can freshen up the car. It was 9.30 in the morning when I checked in. I returned at 10.40 AM. There was nobody in the office. I reminded her that you asked me to come at 11 so that you can freshen up the car inside. She said ok and went inside and never returned till some customer came at 11 AM. She told me to wait. I waited almost till the last customer went at 11.40 PM. I asked her what about my car.
She started to yell at me that I don't have to clean up your filth. I politely reminded her its HERZ car and it's not my personal car. I have signed up the new contract so it needs to be freshened up. I didn't even ask to get the outside car washed. Just inside that freshen up by putting up good perfume in the car. She started to abuse me that I am not the cleaner and I don't clean up cars. It was almost 11.50 PM and they close at 12 PM on Saturday. I told her if you really didn't wanted to do it. Why did you ask me to come back at 11 AM? I told her I came at 10.40 and I am here almost more than an hour. Now you are yelling me that I am not your cleaner. She told me to get out of the rental location. I told her I had my daughter’s game and I missed it just because you asked me to come. She was very rude and she called up police and complained them that I am in their property. She told me that police are coming to arrest me. I didn't wanted to escalate the situation as I didn't wanted to ruin my weekend, which I get very limited time I get to spend with my family. I travel to Houston on a weekly basis for work.
I told her I will complain to Hertz customer service. She gave her card and told me nobody can touch her as she is the branch manager and she told me to go ahead and complain.
I called up Hertz on Saturday and I have registered a compliant. It was handled by agent 0551 with TPO/Supervisor Donna Ray.
I kindly request some action has to be taken against ASIA SIMPSON for ruining my weekend. The experience I had should not happen with other future customers.
Hope hertz does investigate this incident and gets me justice.
Regards,

Hertz Response to the above case received on April 27th.

Dear Mr. Chxxxxxi,

Thank you for contacting us. I appreciate the opportunity to review your concerns.
At Hertz, we pride ourselves on the high quality of our customer service, and it is disturbing to learn of the incident you described. There is never a reason for a Hertz employee to be rude or disrespectful and any unprofessional behavior will not be tolerated. We sincerely apologize for the impression our representative left with you. Please be assured your comments will be shared with the appropriate Hertz management.
For your future reference, Hertz company records are considered confidential and are not available to the public. Therefore, we will be unable to honor requests for any information regarding disciplinary action taken with our employees. We hope you can understand our position on this matter.
I appreciate this opportunity to provide assistance. Your business is appreciated and we look forward to being able to serve you again.

Yours sincerely,

Amanda F.
Customer Correspondence Administrator
Hertz Customer Services
https://www.hertz.com

APPEAL to HERTZ to reinstate my rental privileges and take me off from DNR list written on May 21st 2018.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for upgrading me to President's circle. I really appreciate and value of being Hertz loyal customer. Unfortunately I had gone to rent the car last week as I rent the car on the weekly basis. I was told that I was placed on the Hertz Do Not Rent list. I really fail to understand why I am being penalized. I tried to contact the number provided to me and I was told that that I used aggressive/threatening behavior to HERTZ employees based on the incident I reported to customer service on April 23rd. The case # 02797030 details are attached in the email and also the response I received from the customer service. Please see the attachment for the details about the incident..

I always value Hertz in great regard and in the same hertz location I have had lot of very good customer service from people like Larry, Daren and others who were moved to different locations. I never ever complained about customer service to Hertz in my 20 years of experience. The only incident happened on April 23rd which I complained because of the service I received by that person. There are always good people and not so good people in the company. I don't want the entire Hertz team responsible for that one bad customer service incident.

I value and respect everybody and even on that day my entire half day was wasted. I never was rude to that person. I only told I will complain to customer service and left the location. There are also cameras in the location you can get the copy as a proof.

As a Legal Immigrant I am applying for United States Citizenship in another couple of months. I make sure I don’t get into trouble with any Law enforcement issues. My U.S citizenship is at stake and if I use any threatening kind of language as accused by the Hertz employee. I have to forget my U.S citizenship and maybe I might be sent back as well. In this light of these circumstances normally I don’t like to get into any situation which gets me into trouble. I just walk out from that situation as I did on April 20th. I didn’t escalate the situation even though I was wronged, I just walked out of the Hertz center when the Hertz employee threatened to call the police.

You can always have an option of getting the video recording of the center if you need proof as to what happened on April 20th. This will clear all the miscommunication of “me said” & “she said”.

As an immigrant I have faced lot of hardships in my life here. I have surmounted lot of hardships and I travel weekly for work just to feed my family and sacrifice lot of spending time with the family and my lovely daughters who are growing up. I have got to the Presidents circle and I don't want to lose that membership of Hertz.

I kindly request and pray that you lift me off from the DO NOT RENT LIST.

Hope you will request my appeal and get me justice.

Thanks & Regards,

HERTZ DNRUS RESPONSE RECEIVED ON MAY 24TH

Thank you for your contacting The Hertz corporation servicing Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty Car Rental regarding the cancellation of your rental privileges.

After reviewing the circumstances of the cancellation, we regret to inform you that we are unable to reinstate your rental privileges.

This is a final decision and will not be further reviewed.

Sincerely, The Hertz Corporation

Last edited by a moderator:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm reading that you took the car to Hertz to mask an odor, you were not asking for the vehicle to be cleaned. I do not understand what is going on here. Where was the odor coming from? Why would you waste all that morning with Hertz to "put some perfume" in the car? Perhaps if you made a list of the facts in chronological order, we could determine the problem and offer guidance.

May 26, 2018
I'm reading that you took the car to Hertz to mask an odor, you were not asking for the vehicle to be cleaned. I do not understand what is going on here. Where was the odor coming from? Why would you waste all that morning with Hertz to "put some perfume" in the car? Perhaps if you made a list of the facts in chronological order, we could determine the problem and offer guidance.
Hi Jsn55,
I used to rent the car weekly. The Hertz people used to wash up the car and freshen up inside on a weekly basis. I thought it's the norm. On that day the person told me to come back later she will do it. If this was not the norm I would have bought a can of deodorizer myself.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts on top of our page. Read the information on how to write a letter and follow those instructions to write a letter stating there was a misunderstanding and you were not threatening to the agent. Ask them to reconsider.

Otherwise use another car rental company and take it as a lesson learned about renting and what they do and don’t do. You could have requested a different car that would have been “freshened up”.
I still don’t understand how much a car couid need refreshing after a week of use- I bring a car back in the same state I rented it in. All it might need is a vacuuming and exterior wash do send out again.

What condition did you bring it back in?

Apr 3, 2016
You could appeal to the company contacts on this website. http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hertz/
As usually advised, start with primary contact first and wait at least 1-2 weeks for a reply before trying the next contact.

I would advise you change the focus of your letter. Do not malign or accuse Hertz or its employees. Instead you should just focus on the positive and how much you like renting from Hertz and want to continue to be able to rent from them. You could also express your regrets that your actions/words may have caused any of their employees discomfort.

Hopefully you will get your privileges restored.

If they do not reinstate your renting privileges, you may need to find another car rental company.

As a side note, you say that after 3 weeks in your possession, the car had developed a "foul odor". What was the cause of this odor? It seems to have occurred while in your possession. In the future, you may not want to point out odors in cars that you are returning. The car rental company may charge you extra money to clean the car to remove the odor.

May 26, 2018
We have company contacts on top of our page. Read the information on how to write a letter and follow those instructions to write a letter stating there was a misunderstanding and you were not threatening to the agent. Ask them to reconsider.

Otherwise use another car rental company and take it as a lesson learned about renting and what they do and don’t do. You could have requested a different car that would have been “freshened up”.
I still don’t understand how much a car couid need refreshing after a week of use- I bring a car back in the same state I rented it in. All it might need is a vacuuming and exterior wash do send out again.

What condition did you bring it back in?
Hi Neil,
Its sure a lesson learned in my life. I will go through your thread and write to the contacts put up on the site.
I had rented the same car for 3 weeks continuously . So i asked them to freshen it up.
I did ask for another car and there was no full size car and there was only a truck to be rented out. I have never driven truck in my life. So I didn't take up the truck.
What I really feel bad is that the Hertz employee complaining that I used abusive and threatened the employee. its absolutely false. My only contention was why did they make sit and wait for almost two hours. I missed my daughter's soccer game and I get very little time to spend with my family. If they had told me they can't do it. I would not have come back and wasted my time.
I wish I had taken the pictures of the car condition. It was not that bad.

May 26, 2018
You could appeal to the company contacts on this website. http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hertz/
As usually advised, start with primary contact first and wait at least 1-2 weeks for a reply before trying the next contact.

I would advise you change the focus of your letter. Do not malign or accuse Hertz or its employees. Instead you should just focus on the positive and how much you like renting from Hertz and want to continue to be able to rent from them. You could also express your regrets that your actions/words may have caused any of their employees discomfort.

Hopefully you will get your privileges restored.

If they do not reinstate your renting privileges, you may need to find another car rental company.

As a side note, you say that after 3 weeks in your possession, the car had developed a "foul odor". What was the cause of this odor? It seems to have occurred while in your possession. In the future, you may not want to point out odors in cars that you are returning. The car rental company may charge you extra money to clean the car to remove the odor.
Hi Razilo,
Thanks for your advice. I will surely follow your suggestions.
I really don't know the cause of the odor. The odor smelt like of gas. It started coming after renting two weeks.

May 26, 2018
Hi Neil,
Its sure a lesson learned in my life. I will go through your thread and write to the contacts put up on the site.
I had rented the same car for 3 weeks continuously . So i asked them to freshen it up.
I did ask for another car and there was no full size car and there was only a truck to be rented out. I have never driven truck in my life. So I didn't take up the truck.
What I really feel bad is that the Hertz employee complaining that I used abusive and threatened the employee. its absolutely false. My only contention was why did they make sit and wait for almost two hours. I missed my daughter's soccer game and I get very little time to spend with my family. If they had told me they can't do it. I would not have come back and wasted my time.
I wish I had taken the pictures of the car condition. It was not that bad.
Hi Neil,
I am not finding the instructions of writing a letter on Elliott website. Do you know where it will be?

Sep 19, 2015
I think you need to write an apologetic letter; as long as you did not use a lot of swear words you can say that you may have unintentionally used stronger language than you meant to; if English is not your native language mention that as a mitigating factor.

I think there was a major communication issue with the request of "perfume" for the car and then the situation escalated.

Normally when a rental is extended the car is not washed and vacuumed. That happens when the car is returned at the end, If there is a smell of fuel or sulfur that may be a sign of a mechanical problem that should be addressed and the odor should not be masked but addressed.

I think when you wrote in an complained about an employee that employee retaliated against you and then the DNR happened.

May 26, 2018
Hi Christina,
Thank you so much for your advice and suggestion. I will surely follow your advice when i will write the email to the concerned person. I never knew customer can get into so much trouble just by complaining about the employee. It surely a lesson learned in my life.

May 26, 2018
I am writing this email to you for your intervention and help me out in getting me off the DNR list. I have been renting the car from Hertz from the past so many months. I have the President’s Gold plus reward status.

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy of being the Hertz customer. There is no rental car company in the country better to serve their customers than Hertz. I really value and enjoy the rental privileges provided by Hertz. I have tried many other rental companies but there is no other rental company which can match Hertz in terms of their customer service, rental options and range of cars they have in their inventory.

There was some miscommunication happened between me and one of the Hertz employee on April 20th. I wanted to express my regrets whether my actions/words have caused any discomfort for the Hertz employee. I am a legal immigrant in this country. My first language is not English and it’s a limiting factor in my communication when I am talking to people. I might come up as using strong language unintentionally that I really mean to, because of my inability to express in the right words.

I totally apologize from the bottom of my heart if my communication has caused any hurt to the employee. I had very great customer service from Hertz in the past. It’s one of the greatest rental car company in the world. I totally value and enjoy of being Hertz loyal customer. I have never ever complained to customer service barring one incident on April 20th.

I want be part of the Hertz family and be a loyal customer for life. In this regard I kindly pray and request you to lift me off from the DNR list. As everybody gets one chance in life I think I should be provided one chance as well.

I hope you will help me out in this regard.

Awaiting a favorable response.

Apr 10, 2017
I do recommend some proofreading so I will assist with that. Believe me, I understand it can be difficult as my parents are immigrants and I only wish their English was as good as yours. I am doing this on my phone so bear with me:

I am writing this email to you for your assistance in removing me from the DNR list. I am a longtime Hertz customer and I had achieved President’s Gold Plus reward status.

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy and value being a Hertz customer. There is no rental car company in the country better to serve its customers than Hertz. I really appreciate the rental privileges provided by Hertz. I have tried many other rental companies but there is no other rental company that can match Hertz in terms of customer service, rental options, and range of cars in inventory.

On April 20, 2018, there was an unfortunate miscommunication that happened between myself and and a Hertz employee. I wanted to express my regrets that my actions/words may have caused any discomfort for the Hertz employee. I am a legal immigrant in this country. My first language is not English and it’s a limiting factor in my communication when I am talking to people. I may end up using strong language unintentionally because of my inability to choose the right words.

I totally apologize from the bottom of my heart if my communication has caused any hurt to the employee. I have had very great customer service from Hertz in the past. It’s one of the greatest rental car companies in the world. I totally value and enjoy being a loyal Hertz customer. Other than the incident in April I have never complained to customer service.

I want to remain a member of the Hertz family and a loyal customer for life. In this regard I kindly pray and request that you remove me from the DNR list. As everybody gets one chance in life to redeem oneself I think I should be provided one chance as well.

I hope you will help me out in this regard.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think your letter is fine. I would just make this minor change:

My first language is not English and it’s a limiting factor in my communication when I am talking to people. I might come up as using strong language unintentionally because of my inability to express in the right words.