Hertz damage scam

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Oct 20, 2015
I have received a letter from Hertz claiming EUR 1694.90 for damage allegedly done on a car I rented from Hertz in Berlin from May 5 - August 4. They contacted us only one week after the car was returned. I have explained that the damage allegedly from my car could not be the same car as the one I rented because the tire from the right side is clearly well worn, whereas the tire from the actual car has a brand new tire that was purchased because of a structural defect and Hertz agreed to make the purchase. The photo of the returned car in the garage with the full license plate does not show any obvious damage and the close-ups are not from the same car as the one we rented. The car was returned in Hertz's garage as requested and there was no one available when I wanted to have someone check the car in. My wife and I have a total of 95 years of driving without an accident and it is absurd that someone would suggest that I am trying to avoid my legal responsibilities or that I thought I could cause damage without anyone taking notice. The car was returned in good condition and there was no damage. Unfortunately, there are a number of scams in Germany after rental cars are returned claiming damage, including from Hertz.
To add insult to injury, Hertz now claims that I have not paid for the collision damage waiver. However, as you will see in the attachment, there was coverage for the CDW with an EUR 1000 deductible. This is again fraudulent because I paid for this waiver even though Hertz says otherwise.

I should also mention that on FlyerTalk there are at least two incidents reported from the same Budapesterstrasse location for damage they claimed was from other renters.

Jan 8, 2015
Can you explain this a little better
I have explained that the damage allegedly from my car could not be the same car as the one I rented because the tire from the right side is clearly well worn, whereas the tire from the actual car has a brand new tire that was purchased because of a structural defect and Hertz agreed to make the purchase.

Are you saying our car had a new tire and the one shown is worn, or that yours was worn and the pictured one is new?

It is understandable that you are upset, but when you start writing to the Hertz contacts we have, make sure the message is polite and to the point. No need to point out the 95 years of driving experience, or anything being absurd. (since older drivers have accident rates nearly that of teenagers) For emphasis, sometimes bullet points work well.

Our contacts are linked to at the top of the page. Start at the customer service level and wait for a reply, if you don't hear back within a week, go to the primary contact, waiting another week to hear back. keep going up the chain until you get satisfaction. I think once you point out that the car pictured may not be the one you rented, they will drop the claim. it will really help if you have any photos which might have the car showing in them.

Oct 20, 2015
Can you explain this a little better

Are you saying our car had a new tire and the one shown is worn, or that yours was worn and the pictured one is new?

It is understandable that you are upset, but when you start writing to the Hertz contacts we have, make sure the message is polite and to the point. No need to point out the 95 years of driving experience, or anything being absurd. (since older drivers have accident rates nearly that of teenagers) For emphasis, sometimes bullet points work well.

Our contacts are linked to at the top of the page. Start at the customer service level and wait for a reply, if you don't hear back within a week, go to the primary contact, waiting another week to hear back. keep going up the chain until you get satisfaction. I think once you point out that the car pictured may not be the one you rented, they will drop the claim. it will really help if you have any photos which might have the car showing in them.
//the car i rented had a brand new tire, and the photograph from the "claim" had a wel worn tire and a metal plate under the bumper that is not found in the actually rented car. i have two photos of the actually rented car, one of which has the brand new tire clearly visible.

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 7
  • photo1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Mike Z
Jan 8, 2015
That is good going on the photos. With those in hand you should have no problems getting the claim dropped.