Help with Ocean Cruise lines or river cruise lines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 10, 2018
My Husband is not a big traveler and is hesitant to take a cruise, river or ocean, with 2000 strangers. He is interested in the Baltic countries as well as Ireland, Scotland, England area, or a river cruise though Germany. I am a huge traveler but...have not liked cruising as the time spent in each port is too short and rife with strife if we go it alone (time and getting left behind due to unforeseen situations) rather then with the group tours. We want good food, nice cabins and time in port. At this point small is the way to go I am validating but....Cost is not the issue, but I want my husband excited AFTER the cruise is over so he will do it again! Help!

Apr 10, 2017
I will preface this by saying I have no experience with ocean cruising as I am highly prone to motion sickness and I have no desire to be on a huge ship. Others on here can weigh in with their advice on them. But I have done 4 riverboat cruises with Avalon (including the Rhine through Germany) and I have loved them all. The ships are very modern and the crew, service, and food are fantastic. They have 3 cabin types and my husband and I have stayed in all of them. We will likely do another Avalon river cruise next summer.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
River cruises sound perfect. There is a great website called rivercruiseadvisor that has a comparison of most likely new and what is included. The most well know lines often have a lot of extras that you have to add to their cheap prices that often make a more expensive line a better option.

Use this and go for it. And use a travel agent that specializes in river cruises- they can help and most don’t charge fees
https://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/comparisons/

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
My Husband is not a big traveler and is hesitant to take a cruise, river or ocean, with 2000 strangers. He is interested in the Baltic countries as well as Ireland, Scotland, England area, or a river cruise though Germany. I am a huge traveler but...have not liked cruising as the time spent in each port is too short and rife with strife if we go it alone (time and getting left behind due to unforeseen situations) rather then with the group tours. We want good food, nice cabins and time in port. At this point small is the way to go I am validating but....Cost is not the issue, but I want my husband excited AFTER the cruise is over so he will do it again! Help!
There are many ocean and river cruise ships/lines that have passenger numbers in the 100-300 range. We just returned from a 7-day cruise in French Polynesia on the Wind Spirit with 143 passengers (ship holds 148 in double cabins). Almost all of the "cruising" was evening/night time, and all days were spent in local island ports/lagoons with a full day of activities ashore or on the water. If you might consider more "adventure" travel, many of the ships carry fewer than 100 passengers, esp in places like the Galapagos. Our trip to the Galapagos was on a ship with 32 passengers. All days were spent exploring the islands.

Mar 17, 2015
I would also recommend speaking with a reputable travel agent. Those who specialize in cruising can help guide you to a good fit for your lifestyle and interests. Please do not use an online broker/travel agent, like expedia to book the cruise.

Jul 13, 2016
As far as I know, there are no river cruises in the Baltic countries. It would have to be ocean cruising. Look at Seabourn, Sea Dream, Tauck small ship cruising, and SilverSea. Avoid the mass market lines like Princess, Holland America. You might look at Azamara--it is a larger ship (800 guests) but it is destination driven, so they stay in ports late at night and do overnights as well.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@PORKCHOP please check out cruise critic. They have forums that discuss cruising and have sub forums for new cruisers, most cruise lines, and ports of call. There are also reviews of cruise lines and many times even pictures of cabins so you can get an idea of what might be available.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You've come to the right place for advice, Porkchop. We have done several small-ship cruises with Grand Circle (they market to older people but we were perfectly happy with them when in our 50s) and, with ADM's good counsel, we just did the Rhine & Mosel on Avalon. All have been seriously fabulous experiences. My husband travels because I love it, and I can assure you that your husband will enjoy a small-ship cruise. We've done the rivers, and also around the UK, the Adriatic and the Baltic countries. We're booked on Viking to China and then looking at Italy and Istria. I'm glad you brought up the subject of cost, because these trips are not inexpensive. With Grand Circle especially, you are absolutely coddled and feel that there's nothing you can't ask for that wouldn't be cheerfully delivered. The cruise line agents are extremely well informed and helpful. I have a terrific cruise-expert travel agent now, but have booked many of these trips myself. If you're an experienced traveller, you can do your own research; Carrie's advice on CruiseCritic is spot-on, I believe I learn more from that website than any other source. Have fun and please come back with any questions or concerns. If you wish, you can send me a Private Conversation.