Help with bank of america

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2018
Ok, Friday I was arrested for something beyond my control. My car was towed as well. When I tried to bail out with my debit card I found that it, along with my phone which is linked to my card, had been stolen. I have been in jail seven days. My boyfriend contacted the bank to have them stop the card and pause account but since he wasn't me, they didn't listen.
My account had 2100 stolen since Friday.I cant call the bank. I can't get to the bank. The website only has phone numbers and no chat.I need my account halted and the transactions reversed.I can't get anyone to help. My name is Tara xxxx. Thank you

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
AMA is correct- you need your lawyer to help you. We can’t do anything for you and you must report the unapproved charges as soon as you are aware of it.

If you can use the internet to contact us, why can’t you contact your bank? You should be able to log into your account and report it. I can log into my bank account and report a stolen card

Jun 30, 2017
AMA is correct- you need your lawyer to help you. We can’t do anything for you and you must report the unapproved charges as soon as you are aware of it.

If you can use the internet to contact us, why can’t you contact your bank? You should be able to log into your account and report it. I can log into my bank account and report a stolen card
Probably not a good idea to log into your bank account from a VERY insecure computer in a jail. This is probably as hackable as any I can think of. Hotline to an attorney, yes; bank NO WAY. I do not advise logging into a financial account from any public computer that is not secured. Viruses and keyloggers are easily installed on these computers allowing anyone to retrieve your passwords and other login data. For security reasons, it is advisable to log into financial accounts only from your own home computer on a password secured wi-fi network, and NEVER from your phone.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Probably not a good idea to log into your bank account from a VERY insecure computer in a jail. This is probably as hackable as any I can think of. Hotline to an attorney, yes; bank NO WAY. I do not advise logging into a financial account from any public computer that is not secured. Viruses and keyloggers are easily installed on these computers allowing anyone to retrieve your passwords and other login data. For security reasons, it is advisable to log into financial accounts only from your own home computer on a password secured wi-fi network, and NEVER from your phone.
You are right. Wasn’t thinking if this. Her lawyer is going to have to help.

Jul 5, 2018
Even if I did log into my bank page it would not matter. The only contact info for the bank are phone numbers. If I wanted to dispute a transaction it gives me a phone number. Report it stolen? A Phone number. On the whole site, no email, no chat, only phone numbers.
I do not have an attorney yet, I can not afford it since my money has been stolen. They all want money up front. I am supposed to get a court sppointed one but who knows when that will be.
This whole reason I'm here even is wrong! I've been arrested for probation violation! The issue with that is I've never even been on probation! Someone made a mistake in the system. I'm not even set for court for another month!!!!.
If my account could get the transactions reversed I could bond out and fix this but my bank won't listen to my boyfriend. Imo don't know what to do.

Sep 19, 2015
What a terrible situation.

Privacy laws prevent the bank from speaking to anyone but the account holder. There is no way that anyone here can get around that.

My bank also only takes fraud reports via telephone and it is not B of A. The reason for telephone is because of all the security questions that are asked.

If bond has been set does that mean there was an arraignment? Or was this on a bench warrant with bail listed?

There is often a P.O. Box to write to a bank customer service but I doubt that would help.

Is there any friend or family that can help with the bail?

Jul 5, 2018
What a terrible situation.

Privacy laws prevent the bank from speaking to anyone but the account holder. There is no way that anyone here can get around that.

My bank also only takes fraud reports via telephone and it is not B of A. The reason for telephone is because of all the security questions that are asked.

If bond has been set does that mean there was an arraignment? Or was this on a bench warrant with bail listed?

There is often a P.O. Box to write to a bank customer service but I doubt that would help.

Is there any friend or family that can help with the bail?

Apparently, it was a bench warrant and bond was issued. They told me the warrant was issued in 2014. I lived in Houston in 2014, not Phoenix(where I am now). I told everybody I could tell this fact but it didn't matter. I've never been to jail before and honestly, I am scared to death. I just don't understand how this could have possibly happened. As far as family goes, my boyfriend of ten years is it. We have two kids together. This happening has started this horrible downward spiral. The car was towed and they are telling him that he can not get it for thirty days so every day a fee is added on. I won't even begin to think how much that will cost, we may have to end up abandoning it.
So he is taking lyf everywhere, which slowly adds up and dips into whatever bail money he has come up with. Then rent is due on our home, actually, it was due two days ago so I won't know whats happening with that until I get a visit. This is so frustrating. I am truly helpless.

Sep 19, 2015
Apparently, it was a bench warrant and bond was issued. They told me the warrant was issued in 2014. I lived in Houston in 2014, not Phoenix(where I am now). I told everybody I could tell this fact but it didn't matter. I've never been to jail before and honestly, I am scared to death. I just don't understand how this could have possibly happened. As far as family goes, my boyfriend of ten years is it. We have two kids together. This happening has started this horrible downward spiral. The car was towed and they are telling him that he can not get it for thirty days so every day a fee is added on. I won't even begin to think how much that will cost, we may have to end up abandoning it.
So he is taking lyf everywhere, which slowly adds up and dips into whatever bail money he has come up with. Then rent is due on our home, actually, it was due two days ago so I won't know whats happening with that until I get a visit. This is so frustrating. I am truly helpless.
I am not trying to be insensitive but just want to check — this is a warrant for Phoenix and not for another jurisdiction?

Can your boyfriend go to the press re: being taken into custody like this? If someone else was on probation that means criminal and there should be fingerprints on file —- a way to confirm identity. I would look at local channels that like to do hard hitting investigations.

If not the news something like the AZjustice project.

If the police do not do their due diligence in confirming identity that opens them up to a lawsuit and perhaps that is an angle your boyfriend needs to take when approaching a lawyer — he should search for police misconduct and perhaps one would take it on contingency

Feb 16, 2018
First even when you meet with your public defender they may not be able to assist you with your bank account problems, which is not a criminal defense issue, but rather a civil issue.
I would suggest your boyfriend go to legal aid, and explain the situation to them. You are for all purposes now indigent and should qualify. A legal aid attorney could assist you in getting your bank accounts in order, so that you may bond out. You may have the boyfriend ask the legal aid attorney if they can request an expedited bond hearing, to request a lower bond. I am including the link.

I am not an attorney so nothing I have told you is legal advice, just someone who works in the system.

http://legalaidaz.com

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is a truly terrible story. If you have facts to back it up, can the boyfriend contact the local TV station and their on-air advocacy person? To think of you waiting a month before you can even get your story told to a judge is sickening. Is there a chaplain at the jail? With the privacy laws, your situation is going to take some really creative thinking.

Something doesn’t add up here... she has access to a computer ‘in jail’ but can’t borrow a phone because her nearest neighbor is 4 miles away? She knows that her account is out $2100 because she’s apparently been logging in in jail, but it ‘has no chat’? BofA’s website has chat... at least it did the last time I logged into it... and instead of hunting for an attorney, she goes hunting for a consumer advocate’s forums? Maybe I’m just way too cynical, but all of my senses are raising -huge- red flags on this one.

Jun 30, 2017
Something doesn’t add up here... she has access to a computer ‘in jail’ but can’t borrow a phone because her nearest neighbor is 4 miles away? She knows that her account is out $2100 because she’s apparently been logging in in jail, but it ‘has no chat’? BofA’s website has chat... at least it did the last time I logged into it... and instead of hunting for an attorney, she goes hunting for a consumer advocate’s forums? Maybe I’m just way too cynical, but all of my senses are raising -huge- red flags on this one.
Agree. If this story is real she needs a LAWYER period, and nobody else. A consumer advocate forum is NOT what she needs. Hopefully, she has found an attorney. BofA s the least of her problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.