help with airline points return to account

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 27, 2018
I had to cancel a flight scheduled for Sat. Sept. 29th from Denver Colorado to Little Rock Arkansas as I was in the emergency room last night and was found to have a large blood clot. No flying for awhile. Is it possible to return my points to my account that I used to purchase this flight?

Jul 27, 2016
I had to cancel a flight scheduled for Sat. Sept. 29th from Denver Colorado to Little Rock Arkansas as I was in the emergency room last night and was found to have a large blood clot. No flying for awhile. Is it possible to return my points to my account that I used to purchase this flight?
Depends on the airline and your status. On Delta, award tix are refundable with a fee (or no fee, if you have enough status), but only up to 72 hours in advance. After that, they're non-refundable.

ETA: Whoops, just saw this was in the United forum.

United lays out the fees here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/mileageplus/awards/travel/ticketing.html

To change or cancel <60 days in advance, the fee is $0-125, depending on your status. If you no-show for the flight, you can redeposit for $125, regardless of status.

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
United charges a fairly reasonable fee to redeposit the miles, depending on your Mileage+ status ... although they may have raised it recently. Just give them a call when you're up to it. If you have another trip in mind and are feeling VERY charming, you may be able to get the agent to just book you a new award tix without a fee. I hope you're thanking your lucky stars that you found out about the blood clot before the plane took off, you're very fortunate.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
United charges a fairly reasonable fee to redeposit the miles, depending on your Mileage+ status ... although they may have raised it recently. Just give them a call when you're up to it. If you have another trip in mind and are feeling VERY charming, you may be able to get the agent to just book you a new award tix without a fee. I hope you're thanking your lucky stars that you found out about the blood clot before the plane took off, you're very fortunate.
Rebooking a United mileage award reservation is easy and usually costs $25 or $75 depending on the advance booking time. I changed a mileage ticket in June from BDL to OGG in Oct to DEN to OGG in Nov for $25. It was done online without a problem.

Sep 3, 2018
Delta wanted 300 within 72 hrs to redoposit my ff miles, cancellation of flight was over a week out. AA only sharged me 150 to replace ff points when I had to cancel. I thought this was excessive and will cancel my cc with them when my yearly payment comes due. Had to cancel the Delta one way flight when AA cancelled my flight to my cruise.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Delta wanted 300 within 72 hrs to redoposit my ff miles, cancellation of flight was over a week out. AA only sharged me 150 to replace ff points when I had to cancel. I thought this was excessive and will cancel my cc with them when my yearly payment comes due. Had to cancel the Delta one way flight when AA cancelled my flight to my cruise.
This thread is nearly a year old. Please start a new thread so we can assist you better.