Help senior get the trip they paid for

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 10, 2019
My wife and I were supposed to be on a7 day cruise to celebrate our 48th anniversary we pay for we were told all we needed was our Licenses with a star on it a federal license we bought this trip in April if we were told we needed our birth certificate or passport we had plenty of time to get them my wife and I are senior citizens on a fixed income and it took 2 years to save for this trip we are in poor health and all we want is to be able to take a trip we paid for all we want is a voucher for another cruise or a refund please help us an let carnival cruise know to do the just an right thing either a voucher or our money back thank you all and God bless you all for what ever help you can provide

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
I am so so sorry to hear of this. It would help us to know who exactly told you all that was needed was the "Real ID" drivers license, and if you booked this cruise through a travel agency, online, or directly from Carnival .....

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
There is much confusion on this with the cruise lines. An enhanced license or real ID is supposed to be allowed as identification without a birth certificate but it seems the people working at the piers aren’t all up to par on this. This is only for closer loop cruises starting and ending in the same US port. If your cruise starts in one US port and ends in another or is an international cruise- this doesn’t apply.

We have been advising clients who have enhanced licenses or Real ID to bring a birth certificate because they are having the same issue. I actually have an email from Royal Caribbean stating that Real ID is all that is needed but the clients are still being asked
for birth certificates.

We have company contacts for Carnival.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/carnival-cruise-lines/

This is how to write to them:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

If you post more information here - dates of the cruise, the port this happened in, we can help you craft a letter.

Did you both have the Real ID license with this star on it?

Attachments

Oct 10, 2019
The woman who took our reservation we were asked if we had passports we said no! We were ask if we had birth certificates we said no! We were asked if we had a federal license we asked what is a federal license and was told it has to have a star on it we said yes! We were told that was good we had plenty of time to get what we needed if told how important thee papers were we booked this trip in April

Oct 10, 2019
We booked our trip in April we were supposed to leave on Sunday October 6 th from Baltimore md. It was supposed to be a 7 day cruise it was our 48th anniversary and here we are in this situation

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
But did you have the REAL ID license? If you did not or did not have an enhanced license, you needed a birth certificate and your existing license.

I posted a picture of what the license looks like with the star on it.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
n
We booked our trip in April we were supposed to leave on Sunday October 6 th from Baltimore md. It was supposed to be a 7 day cruise it was our 48th anniversary and here we are in this situation
Your cruise started in Baltimore. Where did it end? What ID did you present for your cruise. Who denied your boarding?

You mention a "federal license". There is no federal license for driving. What were you referring to? There are a variety of "federal" IDs such as passports, military IDs, etc, but there is no "federal license".

Oct 10, 2019
The cruise ended in BALTIMORE I was told a federal license was a license with a star on it I don't really know the last time we cruised was in 1998 we are not experienced travelers we were to go to Grand Turks and kaiekhos clay bay or something and Nassau again we were told a star on our Licenses was good all we want is a voucher for another trip or our money back this is a billion dollars company the can make an exception for people like us who don't know these things

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If it does, here is what you can write:

On Sunday, October 6, I arrived at the Baltimore pier to embark on my cruise reservation #xxxxxxxxx.

My wife and I both have REAL ID compliant drivers licenses with the star on the corner. I had called Carnival before arriving at the pier and confirmed that the REAL ID compliant license was all that was required to board the ship- a birth certificate was not required.

Upon arrival, we were told by the port agents that this license, despite being compliant, also required us to have birth certificates and we were not permitted to board.

According to the REAL ID Act and your own agents in your headquarter offices, this license is suppose to be sufficient ID to for a closed loop cruise.

I am respectfully requesting that you credit my wife and I with a credit for being improperly denied boarding. I would be happy to provide you with photos of our licenses to show they are Real ID compliant.

Fill in the reservation number and email it to the first contact we show for Carnival. Give them a week to reply and if they say no, send to the first executive. Repeat weekly if needed until you get all the way through the contacts.

The cruise lines need to get their stuff together on this REAL ID act. We are also hearing one thing from the cruise lines and yet the pier employees aren’t receiving the word from the cruise lines.

Michelle Couch-Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
Unfortunately, I don't think the Real ID alone is sufficient ID for a closed-loop cruise. However, if Mr. Friscia has it (in writing) that someone at Carnival told the couple that they could cruise with only their driver's licenses then this is something we can try to mediate. In fact, we just successfully advocated a case like this two weeks ago and published an article about it last Friday. https://www.elliott.org/cruises/bring-correct-id-missed-cruise-stories/

Jan 6, 2015
According to the US Embassy site:

U.S. citizens do not need visas to enter the Turks and Caicos Islands (TCIS) as tourists for short periods, however, U.S. citizens must present a valid passport.​
This is likely what set the passport requirement. Neil's advice on writing is sound in my opinion.