Help- Logan Airport fiasco resulting in missed flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 26, 2017
I recently had a horrible travel experience and would like to reach out to you for your help and advice.

I purchased a plane ticket for Delta Flight # 3620 from Boston to JFK for March 10, 2017. At JFK I had an international flight on TAP Portugal #208 to Lisbon, Portugal.

My flight tickets on TAP Portugal were purchased for me as a Christmas gift from my parents so that my sister and I could experience Europe for the first time together! Delta does not partner with TAP, so my two tickets were purchased separately.

When I arrived at the airport Delta Flight #3620 was delayed by an hour or so. I talked with a Delta representative at the front desk during check-in and explained how I had an international fight at JFK. He assured me that there would be no more delays, and that I should keep my flight as planned. I foolishly trusted him and checked in my luggage and proceeded through security. Once I arrived at the gate, they announced an additional 1-2 hr delay! I panicked and tried to hop on a sooner Delta flight, but all Delta flights were super delayed.

The cause of the initial delay was de-icing due to freezing temperatures and icy snow.
But then there was an incident at Logan Airport where a man de-icing a plan was struck by Alaska Airline flight that backed into him. The man got injured, and it caused further airport delays.

Delta flight 3620 ended up getting cancelled! And the other Delta flight to JFK was delayed approximately 4hrs and did not get into NYC until after 1am.

So in the end I missed my international flight to Portugual. I had to re-book a TAP Portugal flight for the next day and I had to pay an outrageous fee of $1,706.00 to reach my destination.

Do you think there is any way to seek compensation for my loses? While I understand weather is unpredictable, I don't think I should be out over $1,700 because of a personal injury accident at the airport that caused further delays.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Did you happen to contact TAP airlines prior to your scheduled departure to let them know you would not be able to make the flight? If so, did they give you the residual value of the ticket? I assume the additional cost was a change fee and the increased fare for the new flight. "Walk-up" fares are usually the most expensive fare.

Unfortunately, this is one of the reasons it is important to book airline tickets on one PNR. TAP is only responsible for your travel from JFK to Lisbon and Delta is only responsible for your travel from BOS to JFK. By purchasing two separate tickets, neither airline is responsible for the failure of the other airline not meeting its obligations. Besides, weather delays are completely out of the control of every airline.

Did you happen to have trip insurance either from a separate policy purchased at the time you booked the trip or through the credit card you used to purchase the ticket? Although, trip insurance may not even cover a passenger under these circumstances. Regardless, I do not see how any other entity is responsible for the additional cost. May I suggest next time, working with a travel agent to book this type of itinerary. They have the ability to link tickets together on one PNR and I believe you would have been re-accommodated without any additional charges. There are some TAs that contribute to this site often and can correct me if I am wrong.

In the end, I hope you had a wonderful experience in Europe with your sister!!!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What you really should have done when you are traveling in winter is fly infro JFK the day before and stay overnight. We recommend any clients that are flying in winter to ALWAYS fly in a day before your flight.

You can use our contacts to write but I don't think I you will be successful because you had 2 separate tickets and because they are not responsible for weather delays. Unpredictable things happen all the time.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Just offering sympathy, LizBeth. My colleagues have covered it all. I'm sorry you had to learn about using a travel agent the hard way. There are so many 'unwritten rules' in travel that many of us have learned by experience. Winter travel is always fraught with peril, when your plans get trashed by the weather and you are booked on two separate tix, you have no protection. You end up paying 'walk up' fares that seem outrageous but are just the normal fares.

It is so simple to book travel on the internet these days, but unless you're a very experienced traveller, finding a good travel agent should be your first move.

Mar 26, 2017
Thanks all for the great advice!

Delta has not responded to any of my emails.

TAP Portugal was not only helpless but totally unsympathetic and said I was charged $1706.00 which included a change penalty plus the applicable difference in fare derived from the original ticket purchased.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks all for the great advice!

Delta has not responded to any of my emails.

TAP Portugal was not only helpless but totally unsympathetic and said I was charged $1706.00 which included a change penalty plus the applicable difference in fare derived from the original ticket purchased.
That's correct. You were a no show on the flight and that makes it your responsibility to buy new last minute walk up tickets.

If all the flights had been on one ticket- different story.