Help! Estimate of Letter received after thinking all was good :(

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Travel insurance might offer some rental car coverage - check the policy and see. If it does you should report it as well so you don’t miss the period to notify them.

I’ll glad you came her so you received the info about calling your cc company. They can deal with getting the information translated as well.

Dec 15, 2018
Glad the CC will cover it.

It depends on what travel insurance you bought. As you said, you will need to read the terms of the insurance you purchased.

Just one final warning... you may still not be in the clear. The rental car agency may try and bill you for "diminished value" and "loss of use" which the CC may not cover. Not saying it definitely will happen, but be prepared. If so, then you may still have to write the executives.

Also, make sure you understand what "secondary coverage" means when renting a car in the US. Secondary coverage means that you will have to file a claim with your own car insurance first, before the CC coverage kicks in. There are a few credit cards that offer "primary" coverage. There is a lot of fine print, and I think this is an eye opening experience for you and you will be much better informed in the future.
Definitely an “eye opening experience” for sure! Can’t wait for the nightmare to end :( Expensive lesson regardless.
Thanks for all that info. Yes, I’ve never read so much “fine print” before. LOL.
Not for sure it will be covered. They said it’s covered meaning, IMO, that I can file a claim; but I still have to wait for claims to come back to work tomorrow, review it and see what happens. Praying it all works out!
I hope the diminished value and loss of use doesn’t come into play but I’m going to prep letters in advance just in case.
Thanks again for trying to help me. I truly appreciate all of you!

Dec 15, 2018
Travel insurance might offer some rental car coverage - check the policy and see. If it does you should report it as well so you don’t miss the period to notify them.

I’ll glad you came her so you received the info about calling your cc company. They can deal with getting the information translated as well.
Thanks Neil. Yes, trying to read it now ;) And, man, I am soooooo glad I found this forum! Going to tell everyone how awesome this forum and all of you are. It means so much that you’re all willing to help a desperate stranger ;) TY!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If they cover everything and it comes down to diminished value and loss of use, those are easier to fight to get down. What you want is the insurance company to take this on because they are going to demand more information and proof of the damage.

If you look at some of the threads for diminished use, people gets have been successful in negotiating those down or even getting them removed.

Hoping you hear better news from the cc company tomorrow.

Dec 15, 2018
Thanks again Neil! Travel insurance didn’t have rental car coverage so yes, praying and hoping the CC co takes this on.
I read most of those ;)
Have a great rest of the weekend. Will report back when I get more news.

Sep 19, 2015
I sent the OP a translation of the estimate -- a lot of undercarriage parts, like bumper shock absorber ......

Problem is that these are areas that one cannot see --- and I know from driving on unpaved roads in family cars that it can bounce around and potentially damage that area, which is why driving on unpaved roads is usually prohibited on rental cars.

Hopefully the credit card company insurance will take care of it.

Dec 15, 2018
I sent the OP a translation of the estimate -- a lot of undercarriage parts, like bumper shock absorber ......

Problem is that these are areas that one cannot see --- and I know from driving on unpaved roads in family cars that it can bounce around and potentially damage that area, which is why driving on unpaved roads is usually prohibited on rental cars.

Hopefully the credit card company insurance will take care of it.
Thanks so so much Christina! Most of the roads there are unpaved so idk how I would prove that it wasn’t from the slow backing into a ditch :( It’s a 2012 car so that’s years of damage driving on unpaved roads before my 1 week time.
Definitely hoping the CC co takes this on. It’s through Mastercard

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
partial list
Glad the CC will cover it.

It depends on what travel insurance you bought. As you said, you will need to read the terms of the insurance you purchased.

Just one final warning... you may still not be in the clear. The rental car agency may try and bill you for "diminished value" and "loss of use" which the CC may not cover. Not saying it definitely will happen, but be prepared. If so, then you may still have to write the executives.

Also, make sure you understand what "secondary coverage" means when renting a car in the US. Secondary coverage means that you will have to file a claim with your own car insurance first, before the CC coverage kicks in. There are a few credit cards that offer "primary" coverage. There is a lot of fine print, and I think this is an eye opening experience for you and you will be much better informed in the future.
There are actually many CC that provide primary auto rental insurance. I am using one now for an unattended fender dent that occurred when my rental was parked. The CC has asked to see my auto ins policy (which I sent to them) but they are covering the repair, which was below the deductible limit anyways.

I have used my CC for rentals in Switzerland, Scotland, Fr Polynesia, Canada, and New Zeland without issue and any damage would have been covered. The current claim is for a domestic rental. I scan the CC auto rental terms and store them in the cloud so I can retrieve the documents if needed. I have never been asked for them yet.

A partial list:
  • Chase Sapphire cards (Both the Preferred and Reserve)
  • United Explorer Card
  • AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard
  • Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card
  • Discover Escape
  • Fairmont Visa Signature Credit Card
  • Ink Plus Business Credit Card
  • Citi Thank you Premier (primary coverage only on rentals abroad)
  • American Express cards (you can purchase primary coverage for a fee)

Dec 15, 2018
partial list

There are actually many CC that provide primary auto rental insurance. I am using one now for an unattended fender dent that occurred when my rental was parked. The CC has asked to see my auto ins policy (which I sent to them) but they are covering the repair, which was below the deductible limit anyways.

I have used my CC for rentals in Switzerland, Scotland, Fr Polynesia, Canada, and New Zeland without issue and any damage would have been covered. The current claim is for a domestic rental. I scan the CC auto rental terms and store them in the cloud so I can retrieve the documents if needed. I have never been asked for them yet.

A partial list:
  • Chase Sapphire cards (Both the Preferred and Reserve)
  • United Explorer Card
  • AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard
  • Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card
  • Discover Escape
  • Fairmont Visa Signature Credit Card
  • Ink Plus Business Credit Card
  • Citi Thank you Premier (primary coverage only on rentals abroad)
  • American Express cards (you can purchase primary coverage for a fee)
Hi Weihlac. Sorry about your fender but glad it’s covered. Thanks for listing all those cards. Mine isn’t any of those. I may need to get one in the future ;) I’m sure it will help others too. Thank you!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hi Weihlac. Sorry about your fender but glad it’s covered. Thanks for listing all those cards. Mine isn’t any of those. I may need to get one in the future ;) I’m sure it will help others too. Thank you!
Choose a card with the airline you usually fly and you get some additional benefits, like early boarding and one checked bag free.

Dec 15, 2018
Choose a card with the airline you usually fly and you get some additional benefits, like early boarding and one checked bag free.
I need to pay off all the debt from this trip first hehe. But when I need another one, I will refer back to this (took a screenshot) ;) Thanks!