Help - Emergency!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 26, 2018
I made a reservation through Expedia for a business class ticket on United. Today is the travel and and my mom has left her passport at home (we are in ORD). United won’t help - saying that they refuse to take control of the ticket. Expedia claims that they won’t make the change because NYc-EDI is full, even though she’s already on that flight - first portion needs to be changed. Every time I call, new answer. Some say not possible, some say $7,000, no direct answers.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately you’be learned the hard was that when you use an OTA you have to use the OTA to change your tickets- the airline will not help you.

If you miss the first flight on a ticket, the rest of the ticket is canceled. That’s not just on United, that’s on every airline.

If you couldn’t board your flight because Mom didn’t have her passport, you forfeited your ticket. You have to buy new ones. At current prices.

Apr 10, 2017
If you are unable to get your mom's passport in time be sure to cancel the ticket rather than be a "no show". That way you have some hope of retaining a flight credit to use toward the new ticket. Good luck.

Sep 19, 2015
Is your mom flying ord-ewr-edi? If so is there a long connection at Ewr? If there is a long connection can someone get the passport to her and she do a SDC (same day change to standby for a later ORD EWR flight? I am not sure if Expedia can do this.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What a shame. Next time, book directly with the airline or hotel. There's often something they can do, but when you're booked with an online booking service, they just won't help. I'm so sorry.

Dec 26, 2018
Well! E-mailed C level like no one here told me too. They said that United agents could have really helped and should have never transferred me. There are certain circumstances which they help with. They helped fix the situation and without even asking, issued me a travel voucher. I, in fact, denied the travel voucher but they insisted. They said they would 100% follow-up on the matter and that the agent should have been able to find a solution. I was 100% willing to pay fare difference and change fee that’s was reasonable (not $7,000) and they fixed absolutely everything. She said that stuff arises and that they want to be able to help when these last minute things happen, not ruin the trip. Kudos to United!!!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
C level at Expedia? They are absolutely correct- United could have helped you but they won’t because you booked through Expedia. As a travel agent, I see this when we book clients as well - if changes have to be made, I have to do it- the airlines don’t allow the clients to directly.

I’m glad you found someone at Expedia to help you - the response you received for the original agents are exactly what usually happens- pass the buck.

Going forward please book directly with the airline. This could have been solved at the gate if you had booked directly.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That goes to prove that they CAN make exceptions to the"rule" - and in most cases choose not to. I'm glad that you found the help you need and that this woman was able to help.

This is good to know for future cases - we can offer this as something to try for others that find themselves in your shoes. Thank you for sharing the outcome.

Dec 26, 2018
Agreed, Neil! Sorry about all of the spelling and grammar errors. I was typing from my iPhone and multi-tasking with the travel/airline companies. My mom is loving the Polaris lounge!

Sep 19, 2015
Bkusman I am glad that UA helped you in the end; a slightly later connecting flight should not have been so big of a problem. I hope next time you book directly with the airline, as the middle man (OTA) complicates things. It is a shame you ended up in a panic at ORD, but at least it was resolved.

May 26, 2018
I made a reservation through Expedia for a business class ticket on United. Today is the travel and and my mom has left her passport at home (we are in ORD). United won’t help - saying that they refuse to take control of the ticket. Expedia claims that they won’t make the change because NYc-EDI is full, even though she’s already on that flight - first portion needs to be changed. Every time I call, new answer. Some say not possible, some say $7,000, no direct answers.
Although I see in the remarks that you've been advised to "cancel" this ticket, I urge you NOT to do so. Cancelling a ticket voids all value. Have the ticket changed or reissued but do NOT cancel. Usually, you can do a same day flight change for a set fee ... sometimes it's quite low, sometimes more but always less than loss of all ticket value.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Although I see in the remarks that you've been advised to "cancel" this ticket, I urge you NOT to do so. Cancelling a ticket voids all value. Have the ticket changed or reissued but do NOT cancel. Usually, you can do a same day flight change for a set fee ... sometimes it's quite low, sometimes more but always less than loss of all ticket value.
This was resolved by the airline already.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
For our other readers ... this is not exactly what happens. If you don't show up for the flight, the tix loses all value. If you cancel the tix before the flight, the airline generally gives you a credit towards a future flight less a cancellation fee.