Hello all! I need your assistance.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 6, 2019
Hey everyone, how are ya'll doing? First of all, I'm not a US citizen, I don't know if it strengthens or weakens my case.

I've been saving Amazon's gift cards from family and friends for a while, claiming it and saving it up in my account. I had a grand total of 1,015 USD in my account which is a lot for me. I ordered 5 Nike's 200$ eGift card in a single transaction, the order initially went through and I only had 15$ left in my balance. A few hours later my account got locked and I got an email saying the gift cards "violated terms and conditions". The gift cards were all legit and were purchased through Amazon itself (eGift cards) by my family and friends (the people who sent me), I've got the order number for all the gift cards purchased, they were a lot. I was saving small denominations (40$ or 50$, and eventually I had a lot of balance.)

Lurking through the forums I came across the fact that gift card balance cannot be used to purchase another gift card. I didn't know about this. I'm locked out of my account, and I've lost a monumental amount of money. I'm not sure how to proceed with this. I'm happy with Amazon's reverting the transaction and unlocking my account. I'll get something else for my money. Losing this much money is disheartening.

Please, help me out. I'm desperate.

Regards

Oct 6, 2019
Oct 6, 2019
I'm trying to get the account unlocked, and the transaction for the gift card reverted, no progress so far. I lost my legitimate 1,000 USD for a stupid mistake.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Amazon gift card are supposed to be used to buy goods on Amazon, no where else.

And if someone is trying to launder money using gift cards- that’s how they can get caught and why Amazon may not give then they’re money back. If there were stopped at checkout- a money launderer could continue trying to use the gift card in other ways. By doing it the way they do, they shut down the card from being used at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201138990

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is just awful. Using a gift card to buy other gift cards doesn't make much sense. People give Amazon gift cards as gifts so the recipient can purchase what he wants as a gift. Logic says that the recipient doesn't want more gift cards as a gift.

Read all the threads on this forum to see if you can figure out what a couple of people did to get their accounts restored and their money returned. I wish we could help you.

Sep 18, 2018
No, you shouldn't lose your money. But I see a lot of these cases on this forum, and I always wonder, if you want Nikes, well, they sell those on Amazon. They often sell them for less than Nike will charge you. So why not just buy them on Amazon?
And saving up many, many Amazon gift cards totaling more than $1,000 to buy multiple copies of another gift card in that same amount makes even less sense. Who needs $1,000 in Nike gift cards? We're never getting the full story when we get these Amazon complaints, but word has definitely gotten out (or enough posts have populated Google searches) that the gift-card-dealing -- and that's what I'm sure it is -- community thinks this forum can help.

Mar 17, 2015
Your chance of getting the money back is slim. This is a common practice connected with fraud and money laundering. I am not implying that you were party to either of the criminal acts, but it is a huge red flag for Amazon. I also do not think we have ever heard back from a single person on this forum who was successful in having their gift card balance restored. Good luck in writing to the executives.