Hayward pool heater

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 2, 2019
My over 55 community bought a Hayward pool heater 4 seasons ago at a cost of about $4300. It stopped working this past August and an authorized Hayward service provider estimates it needs about $2000 worth of repairs. I wrote to customer service (Hayward) and they offered me a "concession" price of $2500. The price of my exact model on Amazon is $2595. Some concession from Hayward! I call upon Hayward Pools CEO Kevin Holleran to stand behind his product (3 year warranty) and repair it at no charge or offer a reasonable concession price. Otherwise we are done with Hayward products.

Dec 2, 2019
So the heater is out of warranty? What would you like from us?

https://hayward-pool-products.pissedconsumer.com/review.html
I would like some help in convincing Hayward to stand behind their less than reliable product and provide repairs at a reduced cost or a replacement at a much reduced cost. This product has been in actual use for about 20 months in the last 4 years and inside a sheltered building. It is out of warranty but shouldn't break down immediately after the warranty is up. Maybe contact an executive (CEO Kevin Holleran?) for help. Thanks.

Dec 2, 2019
The original heater had a 3-year warranty. It's been four years, now it needs service or replacement. You think the manufacturer should service it at no cost. The replacement price is the same as you find on Amazon. What am I missing here?
The point is that this unit is essential a furnace that heats water instead of air. Would you be happy with a furnace that needs major repairs or replacement every 4 years. I think not.

Jul 30, 2018
We don't advise starting a consumer advocacy letter writing campaign with the CEO. If he/she says no, there is no one else to appeal to. No lower level employee will override the decision of the person at the top.

This forum gives you the tools to advocate for yourself, we don't do it for you. Have you written to the customer service of the manufacturer?

If the product is no longer under warranty, all you could reasonably expect is a goodwill gesture of, perhaps, a credit toward the purchase toward a new item.

In the future, before purchasing a high cost item, I recommend you thoroughly research every brand under consideration. Consumer Reports is my go-to place to start.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We don’t do the contact for you- we give you guidelines on advocating yourself.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

If you have already written to the CEO and he has made the offer you received- there is not much more we can do for an item that is out of warranty. The only thing you can really do is file a complaint with the Attorney General and Consumer Affairs Department in your State.

Was there a history problems with the heater while the warranty was in effect? If so, then you have more ammunition that there were problems that were not fixed.

Jul 30, 2018
The point is that this unit is essential a furnace that heats water instead of air. Would you be happy with a furnace that needs major repairs or replacement every 4 years. I think not.
A furnace and a pool heater are two completely different products because air and water are two different states of matter. The expected service life of those two products are radically different.

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
I have located two email addresses for Hayward:

1st Contact - President
[email protected]
2nd Contact - CEO
[email protected]

I recommend you limit the content of your email to the following:
  • My community bought a Hayward pool heater 4 seasons ago at a cost of about $4300.
  • It stopped working this past August and an authorized Hayward service provider estimates $2000 for repair
  • Hayward customer service has offered me a price of $2500 for a new unit
  • The price of our exact model on Amazon is $2595
I am aware that the warranty has expired, but the replacement/repair cost does seem high compared to what Amazon shows. Can help us by providing a better offer?​

Thank you for your time and consideration.​

IMPORTANT: when you reach out to the corporate level
Do not use inflammatory language - be polite and professional
Do not attach files - their email system may discard your email before anyone reads it
Do not start with the CEO - begin with the 1st Contact shown above
Give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

EDITED to add one contact

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
We don't advise starting a consumer advocacy letter writing campaign with the CEO. If he/she says no, there is no one else to appeal to. No lower level employee will override the decision of the person at the top.

This forum gives you the tools to advocate for yourself, we don't do it for you. Have you written to the customer service of the manufacturer?

If the product is no longer under warranty, all you could reasonably expect is a goodwill gesture of, perhaps, a credit toward the purchase toward a new item.

In the future, before purchasing a high cost item, I recommend you thoroughly research every brand under consideration. Consumer Reports is my go-to place to start.
As I said in my original post, I did write to Hayward customer service and their concession offer was $95 better than we could purchase new from Amazon. Not much of an offer. I will use the email addresses provided by VoR61 (could not find them on my own) to re-start the campaign one at a time. I did not live in the community when the Hayward purchase was made. We have had 3 pool heaters, of various brands, in the 16 years of pool operation. Not much of an endorsement for pool heaters in general.

Apr 8, 2019
Does the OP even have the authority to speak for the community? Generally only officers or the association manager have the authority of an HOA or COA to proceed with such a request. This would be important speaking to the manufacturer, as they do not like to speak to ever individual in the community who has a different outcome in mind. If not, the OP is opening himself up for potential litigation if the rest of the community does not agree with the outcome.

Dec 2, 2019
Does the OP even have the authority to speak for the community? Generally only officers or the association manager have the authority of an HOA or COA to proceed with such a request. This would be important speaking to the manufacturer, as they do not like to speak to ever individual in the community who has a different outcome in mind. If not, the OP is opening himself up for potential litigation if the rest of the community does not agree with the outcome.
Thanks for your concern. I am a board member and authorized to act. Will start my new email campaign tomorrow.

Dec 2, 2019
The OP should use our research request for contacts before writing to the CEO. You never want to start at the top.

Please use our form :

https://www.elliott.org/research/
The OP should use our research request for contacts before writing to the CEO. You never want to start at the top.

Please use our form :

https://www.elliott.org/research/
Did that, found no addresses for Hayward. Thanks to VoR61 for the email leads provided.

Sep 27, 2018
I am not so sure that getting 4 years out of a pool heater, before requiring maintenance is considered a product failure. These units tend to be small and have a high energy density, so that means a lot of stress on the equipment. I know for my spa, the heater was smaller than a half gallon milk container, yet drew 40 amps at 220V. Every 2 years I had to replace the electric elements in the heater, they simply wore out, and my spa was only used for 6 months out of the year. Here is a website that discusses the many things that need to be maintained in order to get the maximum life out of a pool heater: https://www.naahq.org/sites/default...Should-a-Pool-Heater-Last-Units-July-2013.pdf