Hawthorne Suites Grand Rapids charged $250 smoking fee for marijuana smell

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 17, 2018
I recently stayed at Hawthorne Suites by Wyndham in Grand Rapids, MI. I am out there at least once a month for doctor visits, treatment and have stayed before. The day after I checked out, I noticed a $250 charge to my debit card. I called and spoke to the general manager and he told me that the room had smelled of "smoked marijuana". I was very upfront with him about having my medical card and keeping oil and extracts on me, but nothing is smoked. I actually cannot be around smoke due to my medical condition and IV treatment. I even recalled to the GM that he overheard the argument between me and my boyfriend about buying one of their logs for the in room fireplace because I was worried about the smoke. He acknowledged that he did hear this and would do everything he can do to get the charge dropped. Later that night, I recieved a voicemail from him that the charges were to be dropped. I called to confirm and he said yes, just give it a day or so to show up. Last night, on top of the hold, I had a full charge for the room and $250 come through. I called GM and he now says that he confused me with someone else that was overcharged and that there was nothing he could do because the room needed to be fumigated. When I reiterated that there was no smoke, except for a fire in their fireplace and cooked toast, he said it wasn't smoke, just marijuana smell. Which one is it?! He couldn't answer. All I did was have my legal medical oils packed in a bag.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I recently stayed at Hawthorne Suites by Wyndham in Grand Rapids, MI. I am out there at least once a month for doctor visits, treatment and have stayed before. The day after I checked out, I noticed a $250 charge to my debit card. I called and spoke to the general manager and he told me that the room had smelled of "smoked marijuana". I was very upfront with him about having my medical card and keeping oil and extracts on me, but nothing is smoked. I actually cannot be around smoke due to my medical condition and IV treatment. I even recalled to the GM that he overheard the argument between me and my boyfriend about buying one of their logs for the in room fireplace because I was worried about the smoke. He acknowledged that he did hear this and would do everything he can do to get the charge dropped. Later that night, I recieved a voicemail from him that the charges were to be dropped. I called to confirm and he said yes, just give it a day or so to show up. Last night, on top of the hold, I had a full charge for the room and $250 come through. I called GM and he now says that he confused me with someone else that was overcharged and that there was nothing he could do because the room needed to be fumigated. When I reiterated that there was no smoke, except for a fire in their fireplace and cooked toast, he said it wasn't smoke, just marijuana smell. Which one is it?! He couldn't answer. All I did was have my legal medical oils packed in a bag.
It is important to realize that although your marijuana is legal for you, businesses do not have to accept the smells associated with it any more than they have to accept smoking in a room. Your ability to smell the oil is reduced because you use it, just as smokers are unaware of the odor that follows them in their clothes and hair. Others entering the room may well have been very much aware of the residual smell.

Sep 19, 2015
Sorry I am ignorant, but does cannabis oil have a strong smell? I cannot go into a store where there is incense, or essential oils being used, as those smells trigger allergies. Was there a strong smell that subsequent guests would object to?

Dec 17, 2018
Cannabis oil has no smell that may identify a consumer as a cannabis user, and is made to be used discretely even in a social setting, e.g., at work or around family. It really doesn't have much of an odor and definitely not like smoked or unsmoked marijuana. I don't feel comfortable locking these things in my car, same as I wouldn't any other prescription. What I'm not understanding is the initial warm understanding from the GM, to "I mistook you for someone else" when he said he was refunding me, to "we had to fumigate". And first it was "smoked weed" notw it's "weed smell". It really seems like they just want money. I don't have a lot and this is a big hit before the holiday. My understanding is that they will need to provide proof to my credit card company such as cleaning bills and I doubt they fumigated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You used a debit card- you don’t have the chargeback rights with a debit card you have with a credit card. There have been multiple articles written by Mr. Elliott about why you shouldn’t use a debit card for travel transactions.

Have you called your bank and tried to dispute the charge? Don’t wait.

Sep 19, 2015
Cannabis oil has no smell that may identify a consumer as a cannabis user, and is made to be used discretely even in a social setting, e.g., at work or around family. It really doesn't have much of an odor and definitely not like smoked or unsmoked marijuana. I don't feel comfortable locking these things in my car, same as I wouldn't any other prescription. What I'm not understanding is the initial warm understanding from the GM, to "I mistook you for someone else" when he said he was refunding me, to "we had to fumigate". And first it was "smoked weed" notw it's "weed smell". It really seems like they just want money. I don't have a lot and this is a big hit before the holiday. My understanding is that they will need to provide proof to my credit card company such as cleaning bills and I doubt they fumigated.
Thank you for the response. So there is not much of an odor? Could there have been any sort of odor? And yes one does wonder how many odor complaints there were the same time you were there.

I would not leave anything in a car.

It will be interesting to see if the hotel did incur any expenses in clearing the air or what ever they claimed to do. If you got nowhere with your bank, what about writing to the regional manager?