Hawaiian Airlines wont reimburse me correctly

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
May 20, 2017
Flight # HA15 San Diego to Honolulu on 1/14/17
Tickets # xxxxxxxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxxxxxx

The above flight was cancelled by Hawaiian Airlines late in the day of 1/14/17 for maintenance problems. The flight was scheduled to depart San Diego at 10 AM. Notification of delays started out in 30 and 45 minute increments and later in 1 and 1 1/2 hour increments that lasted for many hours throughout the day. My family and I sat at the airport for 11 hours.
We were scheduled for an NCL cruise out of Honolulu on 1/14/17 at 7 PM. We did not make the cruise
departure as we were still sitting at the airport in San Diego. When Hawaiian Airlines finally announced that
the flight was cancelled we were able to rebook on Alaska Air at 6 PM on 1/14/17 to fly instead directly to
Maui, which was the second day stop on our NCL cruise. In order to do this, we arrived in Maui at 10 PM on
1/14/17 and needed a hotel to sleep the night. We called many hotels in and around the airport and cruise
port but all were booked. We finally got the last room at a hotel called the Lumeria Maui which was a 20
minute taxi ride away. All of the above dislocation put a great deal of stress and tumult on myself and my
wife, both seniors aged 75 and 66 respectively. By the time we boarded the NCL cruise ship on 1/15/17 we
were exhausted. I can tell you in all of our years of extensive travel we have never encountered such a terrible
experience.
Therefore, I requested a reimbursement of $726 for the canceled flight plus $178 for the price differential
add-on for the Alaska Air flight costing $904. I also requested the one night's lodging of $424.98 and the
round trip taxi transportation to and from the hotel to the airport of $60. That is a total of $1,388.98.
I feel the above requests are only fair considering the extreme turmoil and inconvenience and stress we were put through and also for missing 1 1/2 days of our cruise. The Hawaiian Airlines agents at the gate did
say that the very same flight the day before was also cancelled for the very same reason - maintenance issues.

Below is what they responded with:

Aloha Mr. H,

On behalf of Hawaiian Airlines, we're very sorry to learn that your flight was delayed to Hawaii. As a customer, you are our valued guest and I understand your frustrations with how your delay was handled.

Upon review, we see that your flight was delayed due to unexpected maintenance issues and the delay kept getting extended. We realize that you were not pleased with the situation and I agree that we could have handled your delay better. During these difficult times, we expect our agents to provide high quality, friendly customer service to all guests. Please know we take situations like this seriously and we've shared your case with our Maintenance Department and our airport management for their review.

After reading our letter, we see that you were trying to meet your cruise ship. We see that you purchased new tickets to Kahului so you could catch up with the ship. As a courtesy, we have refunded the unused flight coupon on your tickets (xxxxxxxxxxxxx-xxx) from San Diego to Honolulu.

Hawaiian Airlines will consider reimbursing guests who remain on our delayed/cancelled flights up to $130 for hotel expenses and $30 for transportation with itemized receipts. Although we received your receipt for your hotel, because you chose to purchase new tickets on another airlines, we normally would not reimburse your expense. I understand you were inconvenienced by the delay and empathize with your circumstances. As a courtesy, we have authorized our Refunds Department to issue a check for $130 for partial reimbursement of your hotel expense. The check will be sent to the address that you have provided and please allow 2-3 weeks for this process to be completed.

Mr. H, we hope you had fun on your cruise and thank you for choosing Hawaiian Airlines.

Sincerely,
Malia Park

Resolution Coordinator
Hawaiian Airlines, Consumer Affairs Office

Again I wrote back :

To: Hawaiian air/consumer affairs

Resolution coordinator Malia Park

I am requesting reconsideration of your attached e-mail. The outcome is not satisfactory. I am asking to appeal that decision and grant me the following additional funds.
1. $ 178.00 price differential add-on to switch to Alaska Air to catch my cruise.
2 $ 294.98 difference between one night lodging and the $130. you provided. The total was $ 424.98
3. Round trip taxi fare from airport to far out hotel $ 60. Only hotel available on the island that night.

I hope you will take the above information and issue me the funds.
Sincerely, Robert H

They responded:

RE: Re: Hawaiian Airlines, Consumer Affairs Office - CN-xxxxxxxx
Hawaiian Airlines: Consumer Affairs Office to youshow details
space.gif

Aloha Mr. H,

Thank you for your reply. We understand that you are seeking additional reimbursement. As a courtesy, we have refunded the unused flight coupon on your tickets (xxxxxxxxxxxxxx-653) from San Diego to Honolulu without any fees, We are unable to reimburse you for the new tickets that you purchased.

Hawaiian Airlines will consider reimbursing guests who remain on our delayed/cancelled flights up to $130 for hotel expenses and $30 for transportation with itemized receipts. As we previously mentioned, because you chose to purchase new tickets on another airlines, we normally would not reimburse your expense. As a courtesy, we have authorized our Refunds Department to issue a check for $130 for partial reimbursement of your hotel expense. Please send us your taxi receipt for our consideration. Receipts are required for reimbursement consideration.

Mr. H, we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Malia Park

Resolution Coordinator
Hawaiian Airlines, Consumer Affairs Office

Please Help Forum!

Feel free to contact us regarding any further information
we can provide. Your kind attention to this request is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Robert H

Note: This post was edited by moderator to remove ticket numbers for safety of our writer)

Last edited by a moderator:

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
Every airline promises to get you to your destination, but not necessarily "in time". They have fulfilled DOT regulations and their own Contract of Carriage by refunding the unused portion of their tickets and the hotel amount specified.

That said if you purchased Travel Insurance, start with them. You can also check the trip insurance coverage on your credit card.

Alternatively, you can appeal your case electronically by using the Company Contacts link at the top of this page. We recommend you start with their Customer Service, Contacts Us, or Contact Form link if you have not already done so.

The information you provide should be concise (summarize) and respectful (non-threatening). Make your requests specific and reasonable, and thank them for their time and consideration. Acknowledge that you are requesting an exception to their policy.

Wait at least two weeks for a reply before moving on to the executive level contacts. And when reaching to executives, I like to begin with an apology for taking their time "because I know you are busy with other, very important matters. I have reached out to customer service, but they were unsuccessful in fulfilling my request."

Finally, for future travel we here always recommend arrival the day before a cruise. Problems such as yours are all too common here and can never make one whole. Better another night in a hotel, than to miss out on a cruise ...

Apr 26, 2016
Aloha, Robert. So sorry that your planned adventure turned into a misadventure. This may be of no comfort, but please know travel these days require a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, along with heavy doses of patience and good travel insurance. Mechanical and weather issues are quite common, along with other types of flight delays that can derail your plans. The advocates will probably ask you if you asked Hawaiian if they could help you arrange for another flight, possibly the next day to Maui. Also did you have any type of insurance to cover many of the expenses you incurred? And if not, did you book your flights on a credit card that offers such insurance? It may be difficult to resolve this issue to your satisfaction as four months have passed. To be honest, I am very surprise Hawaiian reimbursed anything to you. The Elliott advocates will advise. Again, I am sorry this happened.

Apr 26, 2016
Robert - I would like to add that we just completed a cruise a flew in 2 days before departure. Again, air travel has become so unpredictable. In fact, on our 3 most recent flights we had medical emergencies, including one that may have forced us to turnaround over the Pacific Ocean. Fortunately, we did not have to land at the closest airport in any of the three instances.

Reactions: Warren and sas80

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This was indeed an awful experience, and my colleagues have covered most everything if you wish to pursue it further. Quite some time has passed, and I am impressed that the airline tried to help you with the hotel cost.

ADVOCATE ADVICE
The 'good old days' of flying are GONE. Flights are full, there's little room to help passengers when there are problems. Airline management is becoming increasingly stingy with compensation, people have to fight for their rights. There are myriads of travellers who never get to their destination at all after a cancellation ... the airline just can't get them rebooked.

I remember last Christmas meeting several people on an airport shuttle who were going home from Honolulu. Their Melbourne-bound plane was forced to land at HNL, and United couldn't get them out for a week.

If you need to be at your destination by a certain time, it's really important to fly in a day or two ahead ... in the case of a cruise two days early for sure. If you are able to use a credit card with built-in travel insurance, that could really help.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Shouldn't Hawaiian at least reimbursed 130 for each ticket, and 30 each for transportation? I would push back on that.

Hawaiian states it does not reimburse otherwise compensable expenses when the pax makes other travel arrangements. That is a predatory policy as they also get the benefit of reselling the seats, although it appears it refunded the cost here.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Shouldn't Hawaiian at least reimbursed 130 for each ticket, and 30 each for transportation? I would push back on that.

Hawaiian states it does not reimburse otherwise compensable expenses when the pax makes other travel arrangements. That is a predatory policy as they also get the benefit of reselling the seats, although it appears it refunded the cost here.
All airlines do the same.