Hawaiian Airlines ticketing fiasco

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 7, 2019
A round trip ticket was booked by my wife in August for a flight from Hilo to Seattle via Honolulu. She received an email confirmation code, Flight Information, confirmation of extra comfort seat assignments, and charges billing statement to our credit card. A week before the trip, she doubled checked the flight and discovered that she did not have a booking, despite the previously mentioned email. There was no notification or indication that something happened with the credit card payment sent. We carry a zero credit card balance, so there was no expected problem with payment. The response when contacting the Hawaiian Airlines customer service department...in Manila!.. was a nightmare, and totally inappropriate for the screw up which was definitely on them. It was particularly annoying since we have been flying Hawaiian Airlines for many decades as Hawaii residents...and my wife is a Gold Member. I would like to skip dealing with the Philippines and talk directly with a local agent with some authority. Any ideas?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Did you verify the res on the HA website using the confirmation number after booking? We are seeing this kind of issue occasionally and I advise everyone to confirm their plans directly on the website after booking, and monthly thereafter. "The computer did it" is rather a lame joke, but when a res disappears, that seems to be what happens. There needs to be action immediately to straighten it out. A week before the flight is probably too late to accomplish anything. It doesn't sound as though you have time to write, so I hope you can call at different times and be connected with someone who can help you.

Dec 7, 2019
Did you verify the res on the HA website using the confirmation number after booking? We are seeing this kind of issue occasionally and I advise everyone to confirm their plans directly on the website after booking, and monthly thereafter. "The computer did it" is rather a lame joke, but when a res disappears, that seems to be what happens. There needs to be action immediately to straighten it out. A week before the flight is probably too late to accomplish anything. It doesn't sound as though you have time to write, so I hope you can call at different times and be connected with someone who can help you.
Well, we booked directly with Hawaiian Airlines, and have been flying regularly for over 30 years. No, we did not back check the reservation, because we have been notified in the past if there was a problem with the payment, such as an error in the acct no. I find it interesting that a legitimate reservation is booked directly with the airlines...they screw up the process in billing it, but after a seating assignments and confirmations codes are given, it is OUR responsibility to make certain that they didn't mess it up. What is happening in this country when corporations do not take responsibility for their errors...this booking was not our error. I would still like to file a formal complaint with Hawaiian Airlines, but not through Manila. How do I locate an appropriate individual?

Apr 1, 2018
What occasionally happens to me on Iberia and Level is that the charge indeed shows up on my credit card as a "pending charge" but after a few days, it just disappears because of a glitch in Iberia's billing mechanism that holds the amount but never completes the credit card transaction. And it is the same situation - I get a confirmation email with the flight numbers, booking code, etc. It has happened about 5 times in the last two years (I have purchased a lot of Iberia tickets) and when I call to complain, it seems that the customer service people are indeed accustomed to this type of problem.

Now when I purchase air tickets, I monitor my credit card charges and if the pending charge lasts more than a few days, I call.

One more thing - if you are unhappy with the call center person in Manila, call back at a later time. You will get a different person who may be more helpful. I know this from having a problem with a computer purchase.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Well, we booked directly with Hawaiian Airlines, and have been flying regularly for over 30 years. No, we did not back check the reservation, because we have been notified in the past if there was a problem with the payment, such as an error in the acct no. I find it interesting that a legitimate reservation is booked directly with the airlines...they screw up the process in billing it, but after a seating assignments and confirmations codes are given, it is OUR responsibility to make certain that they didn't mess it up. What is happening in this country when corporations do not take responsibility for their errors...this booking was not our error. I would still like to file a formal complaint with Hawaiian Airlines, but not through Manila. How do I locate an appropriate individual?
Read post #2

Jul 30, 2018
Indeed, follow the instructions in post #2 and write to the first company contact listed. This forum recommends you communicate with the company in writing so that you can create a paper trail of all communications. As you have unpleasantly discovered, modern customer service call centers can be an exercise in futility.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Was your credit card charged? That’s the key. Sometimes things happen during a booking - someone could be booking the same seats or there is a hiccup in transmission. You don’t actually have a reservation unless you receive an email with a ticket number and a confirmation. Did you in fact receive a confirmation that had ticket numbers?

And the average traveler booking their own ticket would have no idea that they need to look for this- these are discovered when something like this happens.

Please use the contacts in post 2.

Jun 26, 2019
I had a similar problem with HA several years ago also. Booked first class directly, had email confirmation number, and assigned seats . I even checked several times before the trip and everything was good. I always book far in advance, because I like the bulkhead window seats. Checked again a week or so before the trip and our seat assignments had disappeared and only single seats were available. Called HA and they didn't have a clue what happened to the original seat assignments. It took a while and several phone calls, but they where finally able to at least get us seats together. Never did figure out what happened.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I had a similar problem with HA several years ago also. Booked first class directly, had email confirmation number, and assigned seats . I even checked several times before the trip and everything was good. I always book far in advance, because I like the bulkhead window seats. Checked again a week or so before the trip and our seat assignments had disappeared and only single seats were available. Called HA and they didn't have a clue what happened to the original seat assignments. It took a while and several phone calls, but they where finally able to at least get us seats together. Never did figure out what happened.
They might have changed the aircraft type.