Hawaiian Airlines refund for purchased ticket to fly home.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 11, 2018
Hello Mr. Elliott,

I will be forwarding you 4 emails.
1 that I sent to the general manager of Hawaiian Airlines in New York and the other 3 to there customer support which is suppose to help the client.

We were not able to make our flight because Hawaiian Airlines scheduled our flight with a very short connection time in JFK and our plane was late.

They did not do there job correctly to get us on the next available flight and would not help us. We had to purchase 2 tickets with our own money for 1,786.40 that same day to get us home.

I'm trying to get them to refunds us with a check for what we paid and credit our frequent flyer account with miles for there incompetance and having us stay in the JFK airport for over 7hrs before we where able to get a flight to take us back home.

They are saying that we had enough time to make our flight and would not refund what we paid to get back home or credit us any mileage.
We had less then an hour and had to change terminals, go to the Delta ticket counter to get a boarding pass issued, because they could not issue it to us beforehand and then go thru TSA then to our gate.

Impossible.

The last thing I did was call the HR department at Hawaiian Airlines and spoke to a lady by the name of Nicky on 08/22/2018 about this issue and I have still not heard from her.

Please Help Us!!

Thank you.
Manuel & Rosa

Jul 13, 2016
Dear Manuel,
We will need more information so we can advise you.
1. The full itinerary. Where did your journey start? From where did you fly to JFK?
2. Were the first flight into JFK and the second flight to Hawaii on the same ticket with one reference number (PNR number)?
3. How were these tickets booked? Directly with Hawaiian Air? Online through a online booking company like Expedia? With a travel agent in person?
4. Was your first flight late?--if yes, do you know why it was late? Weather? Mechanical problems?

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hello Mr. Elliott,

I will be forwarding you 4 emails.
1 that I sent to the general manager of Hawaiian Airlines in New York and the other 3 to there customer support which is suppose to help the client.

We were not able to make our flight because Hawaiian Airlines scheduled our flight with a very short connection time in JFK and our plane was late.

They did not do there job correctly to get us on the next available flight and would not help us. We had to purchase 2 tickets with our own money for 1,786.40 that same day to get us home.

I'm trying to get them to refunds us with a check for what we paid and credit our frequent flyer account with miles for there incompetance and having us stay in the JFK airport for over 7hrs before we where able to get a flight to take us back home.

They are saying that we had enough time to make our flight and would not refund what we paid to get back home or credit us any mileage.
We had less then an hour and had to change terminals, go to the Delta ticket counter to get a boarding pass issued, because they could not issue it to us beforehand and then go thru TSA then to our gate.

Impossible.

The last thing I did was call the HR department at Hawaiian Airlines and spoke to a lady by the name of Nicky on 08/22/2018 about this issue and I have still not heard from her.

Please Help Us!!

Thank you.
Manuel & Rosa
Until you provide the original exact itinerary that you had with Hawaiian and Delta there is no way to evaluate what can be recommended. There is not nearly enough information in your posting for anyone, including Hawaiian Airlines, to respond. How much time were you scheduled to have between flights at JFK, and what Hawaiian flight did you take to get there. Where was your Delta flight going? If you had to change terminals at JFK outside of security to get a Delta flight you needed at least 3 hours between flights, and more if your Delta flight was to an international destination.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018
Did they change the time of your original flight to a shorter connection?
no the connection at JFK was suppose to be 1hr 10min.
which was told by the agent that booked my ticket that it was plenty of time to catch my flight. Not possible.
Also the plane was 15minutes late.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
What was your original itinerary? Since this was booked on two separate tickets, they would not have to reschedule a missed flight. I don't know about changing planes in JFK (@Christina H probably has a better feel for that) but I don't think that 1 hour 10 minutes is enough time to change planes at JFK or any major airport. If there is a delay in the first flight, it cuts into the time.

Dec 19, 2014
which was told by the agent that booked my ticket that it was plenty of time to catch my flight. Not possible.
The 1 hr 10 minute connection time was insufficient, especially if you were going from Hawaiian (terminal 5) to Delta (terminal 2)

Who booked your ticket? Was it a travel agent? Did you book it yourself?
Why was it booked as a separate PNR/itinerary?

If the ticket was booked separately, the Delta has no legal responsibility to accommodate you, and Hawaiian airlines did fly you to JFK.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Who was "the agent" who told you this was sufficient time to change planes from Hawaiian to Delta at JFK? Was this a travel agent? Was it Expedia/Orbitz/Priceline etc etc? You state you had "2 separate tickets " presumably one on Hawaiian and another unconnected ticket on Delta.

If you flew on Hawaiian (from where?) on one ticket to then flew on Delta on another ticket, Hawaiian has no responsibility to get you to JFK at any time to get on your next flight. Hawaiian did exactly what they are required to do-they got you from one point to JFK, and essentially on time (only 15 min late is a schedule everyone should be happy with).

If you scheduled a second flight on Delta 1hr 10 min after your scheduled arrival on Hawaiian at JFK, you were not going to make your next flight, even if Hawaiian was on time. Hawaiian has no responsibility for your travel after you deplaned from their flight. They are not responsible for any costs you incurred for future flights. " They did not help me get a new ticket to get back how " nor should they.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Just because you can book your own air, doesn’t mean everyone knows enough to actually do it.

Several mistakes- number one is you booked separate tickets. When you do that their is no obligation by airline one to get you on another flight to airline two. You also have to collect your checked luggage and the check in again at Delta.

Second- you didn’t leave enough time to connect. Never book a connecting flight with less than teo hours between flights (three is better)

Third- you are considered a no show if you missed the connecting flight which is why you had to buy a new ticket.

Unfortunately Hawaiian Airlines doesn’t owe you anything because you had separate tickets and didn’t leave enough time in between connections.

Sep 11, 2018
Who was "the agent" who told you this was sufficient time to change planes from Hawaiian to Delta at JFK? Was this a travel agent? Was it Expedia/Orbitz/Priceline etc etc? You state you had "2 separate tickets " presumably one on Hawaiian and another unconnected ticket on Delta.

If you flew on Hawaiian (from where?) on one ticket to then flew on Delta on another ticket, Hawaiian has no responsibility to get you to JFK at any time to get on your next flight. Hawaiian did exactly what they are required to do-they got you from one point to JFK, and essentially on time (only 15 min late is a schedule everyone should be happy with).

If you scheduled a second flight on Delta 1hr 10 min after your scheduled arrival on Hawaiian at JFK, you were not going to make your next flight, even if Hawaiian was on time. Hawaiian has no responsibility for your travel after you deplaned from their flight. They are not responsible for any costs you incurred for future flights. " They did not help me get a new ticket to get back how " nor should they.
The Hawaiian Airlines reservations department which booked my one-way ticket from Hawaii to Fort Lauderdale.
HNL to JFK on Hawaiian Airlines and JFK to FLL with their partner airlines Delta Airlines. With a 1hr 10min connection at JFK. They say that it is plenty of time to connect. Try it when the gates and terminal are far apart and you need to go thru security.

Impossible when you have to go to a different terminal and check yourself in with Delta Airlines because they do not do it in advance and still go thru security before going to your gate. Then have your plane be 15minutes late.

They had to book us on the next flight and they did not. Went back to Hawaiian Airlines and they would not help us.

Then I had to purchase a separate ticket on Delta Airlines to get us back home . Just because they did not confirm a seat on the plane for us.

Sep 11, 2018
Until you provide the original exact itinerary that you had with Hawaiian and Delta there is no way to evaluate what can be recommended. There is not nearly enough information in your posting for anyone, including Hawaiian Airlines, to respond. How much time were you scheduled to have between flights at JFK, and what Hawaiian flight did you take to get there. Where was your Delta flight going? If you had to change terminals at JFK outside of security to get a Delta flight you needed at least 3 hours between flights, and more if your Delta flight was to an international destination.

For some reason the computer will not let me attach any files it's telling me to large and given me an error when I tried to send them smaller.

Here is my exact itinerary. Which was booked by one of Hawaiian Airlines agents over the phone.

Hawaiian Airlines flight # HA 0050 depart HNL 3:10p.m. (Wed, Jun 20) arrive JFK 6:55a.m (Thu, Jun 21)
connect with Delta Airlines flight# DL 2324 depart JFK 8:05a.m arrive FLL 11:14a.m

Had to change terminals, check ourselves in at the Delta counter and go thru security.
They gave us 1hr10min. They said that was plenty of time. Took us around 30 to 40minutes just to get to the Delta counter.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
If it was all booked on one PNR then I believe they should have covered the missed flight.

@macosta6 the forum doesn't have the ability to attach files (although it seems like we do) however if you had a imaged copy, you might be able to copy and paste. I've had success that way in posting things here.

Sep 11, 2018
Dear Manuel,
We will need more information so we can advise you.
1. The full itinerary. Where did your journey start? From where did you fly to JFK?
2. Were the first flight into JFK and the second flight to Hawaii on the same ticket with one reference number (PNR number)?
3. How were these tickets booked? Directly with Hawaiian Air? Online through a online booking company like Expedia? With a travel agent in person?
4. Was your first flight late?--if yes, do you know why it was late? Weather? Mechanical problems?

Please look at my reply to Weihlac. For all the details.

We were stuck in the tarmac for sometime. what was the reason I don't know.

Apr 10, 2017
Was this flight booked on the same PNR as one trip or were they 2 separate tickets?

2 separate tickets. They did not help me get a new ticket to get back how. Had to purchase a last minute one way ticket.
I'm confused. You had 2 different responses to this question. If it was all on the same PNR you shouldn't have had to go thru security all over again to check in for a separate flight. You also shouldn't have had to pay for another ticket because your incoming flight was late.