Hawaiian Airlines cancelled flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 22, 2019
Today Hawaiian Airlines cancelled our route to Tahiti, 7/30/19-8/6/19 (38 days away!). They gave us an option to rebook our flight to a different week (7/27/19-8/3/19 or 8/3/19-8/10/19). However, we have 3 hotels booked and an inter-island flight within Tahiti. I believe Hawaiian should recompensate us for any additional fees or rates that are applied for changing all of these reservations OR rebook us on a different airline so we can get there for our original plans. Hawaiian has not given us any information. There's no guarantee that they'll take care of any additional expenses or that they can rebook on a different airline. Has anyone experienced something like this? What should we do?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Today Hawaiian Airlines cancelled our route to Tahiti, 7/30/19-8/6/19 (38 days away!). They gave us an option to rebook our flight to a different week (7/27/19-8/3/19 or 8/3/19-8/10/19). However, we have 3 hotels booked and an inter-island flight within Tahiti. I believe Hawaiian should recompensate us for any additional fees or rates that are applied for changing all of these reservations OR rebook us on a different airline so we can get there for our original plans. Hawaiian has not given us any information. There's no guarantee that they'll take care of any additional expenses or that they can rebook on a different airline. Has anyone experienced something like this? What should we do?
Air Tahiti flies daily LAX-PPT. United flies 4x/wk (Sat/Tue/Th/Fri) SFO -PPT. Hawaiian is not part of any alliance with Air Tahiti or UA. Hawaiian is the only airline that flies from HNL/Hawaii to Tahiti and they usually fly only once a week on Sat/ret Sun. It looks like they are flying on Tuesday, Jun 25, July 2, 9, 16 but NOT July 23 or 30. Your best option probably is to fly to San Fran on Hawaiian and then to Tahiti on United on 7/30 return 8/6.
You can try to get Hawaiian to fly you to SFO for free because they really fouled up your flights. They probably canceled the 7/30 flight due to low bookings. I would also strongly suggest that you add a few days to your time in Fr Polynesia-it is magical.

Make your case by email: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hawaiian-airlines/

Jun 22, 2019
I don't think we should have to pay for that. We've already spent thousands of dollars on this trip. Adding additional days to this trip isn't an option. Does anyone know if airlines will rebook on other airlines or how HA is with reimbursements? Their customer service has been extremely unhelpful and we are beside ourselves.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I don't think we should have to pay for that. We've already spent thousands of dollars on this trip. Adding additional days to this trip isn't an option. Does anyone know if airlines will rebook on other airlines or how HA is with reimbursements? Their customer service has been extremely unhelpful and we are beside ourselves.
They will refund your money; period. Their suggested schedule does not meet your needs and they will fully refund your fares-and that is all they are required to do. You will have to make other arrangements. Where does your trip start? You need to book on UA or Air Tahiti.

My suggestion to add additional days was to enhance your experience. A week in Fr Polynesia is way too little time regardless of Hawaiian issues.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
They will not book you on another airline, they have no air alliance partners. Frankly they owe you nothing and offered to rebook. Their lawyers have carefully written the terms and contract of carriage in their favor. They gave you notice and if you write and complain they may give you a future flight credit.

The longer you wait to rebook with another airline the more expensive it’s going to get. Rebook ASAP if you want to save your vacation and other money you have paid out and stand to loose. Sorry this happened!

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
They will not book you on another airline, they have no air alliance partners. Frankly they owe you nothing and offered to rebook. Their lawyers have carefully written the terms and contract of carriage in their favor. They gave you notice and if you write and complain they may give you a future flight credit.

The longer you wait to rebook with another airline the more expensive it’s going to get. Rebook ASAP if you want to save your vacation and other money you have paid out and stand to loose. Sorry this happened!
PS that refund may take 2 to 3 weeks or more to going back to your credit card so do not wait for your refund to rebook!

Jun 22, 2019
The trip starts 7/30 and ends 8/6. We will be out of the money for the flight we booked in to go inter-island as well then. The rates for the Four Seasons are significantly different from when we made our reservation. The other hotel isn't even available to book. The lack of concern or apology from HA was offensive.

The contract of carriage states:
When a passenger will be delayed because of a change in its schedule, carrier will arrange to:
  1. Transport the passenger over its own lines to the destination, next stopover point or transfer point shown on its portion of the ticket, without stopover at no additional cost to the passenger, provided that a passenger who paid a economy fare will be transported on one of its first class flights only if such flight will provide an earlier arrival than its next economy flight on which space is available;
  2. Endorse the unused ticket for the purpose of rerouting over another carrier; or
  3. Refund in accordance with rule 90 (refunds).
Looks like rerouting over another carrier is an option?

Sep 19, 2015
What is the difference in airfare?

US bases airlines only have to do one of two things — rebook on the same carrier or refund the money.
There is no requirement to put passengers on another airline or reimburse the laws.

And even in the more customer friendly EU there would be no compensation for a cancellation this far out.

I do not know if Hawaiian will endorse the ticket to another airline. I doubt they will pay any fare differences.

Do you have any travel insurance or does the credit card used have any travel insurance benefits.

The reality is the airline is only obligated to put you on another flight on the same airline or refund your money.

Jun 22, 2019
$1300. I understand there's not a requirement/obligation to rebook, but out of consideration for their customers, I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced HA doing the right thing.

There was no travel insurance purchased and ironically, we used HA credit cards to book the flights.

Sounds like we're screwed.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The trip starts 7/30 and ends 8/6. We will be out of the money for the flight we booked in to go inter-island as well then. The rates for the Four Seasons are significantly different from when we made our reservation. The other hotel isn't even available to book. The lack of concern or apology from HA was offensive.

The contract of carriage states:
When a passenger will be delayed because of a change in its schedule, carrier will arrange to:
  1. Transport the passenger over its own lines to the destination, next stopover point or transfer point shown on its portion of the ticket, without stopover at no additional cost to the passenger, provided that a passenger who paid a economy fare will be transported on one of its first class flights only if such flight will provide an earlier arrival than its next economy flight on which space is available;
  2. Endorse the unused ticket for the purpose of rerouting over another carrier; or
  3. Refund in accordance with rule 90 (refunds).
Looks like rerouting over another carrier is an option?
DOT rules require an airline to do one of two things when they cancel a flight- either put you on the next available flight (which they did) or provide you with a refund if the new flight isn’t acceptable. Hawaiian doesn’t have any airlines they partner with to put you on.

Weihlac gave you the best options for rebooking on another airline. Hawaiian has done what they are required to do by law, I’m sorry to say.

Jul 30, 2018
In the future, I (and just about every regular poster on this forum) highly recommend you purchase travel insurance, especially if your trip involves air travel and prepaid/ non-refundable hotel accommodation or a vacation rental. Sadly, flight disruptions and cancellations have become par for the course and if something like that happens, airlines are *not* responsible for consequential damages.

I am sorry this is happening to you. Sounds like an amazing trip! At this point all you can do is have HA refund your unused fare and then book with another airline, asap. Like others have stated, the closer you get to your travel date, the more expensive airfare prices become. Yes, you will have to bite the bullet, but it is really the only way to minimize your damages.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
$1300. I understand there's not a requirement/obligation to rebook, but out of consideration for their customers, I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced HA doing the right thing.

There was no travel insurance purchased and ironically, we used HA credit cards to book the flights.

United flights available @ $1237:

Tue, Jul 30, 2019
Departing 1:15 pm San Francisco, CA, US (SFO)

Arriving 6:50 pm Papeete, PF (PPT)
Nonstop

Tue, Aug 06, 2019
Departing 9:15 pmPapeete, PF (PPT)

Arriving
Wed, Aug 7 8:25 am San Francisco, CA, US (SFO)

See if Hawaiian will fly you to SFO free or at a large discount. This will get you to Tahiti on July 30, return Aug 6. UA flights will preserve your bookings

The fact that you used your HA credit card does not invalidate any travel insurance benefits provided by the card.[/QUOTE]

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii

Unfortunately, the "right thing" now for HA is to fight the competition from Southwest. They canceled a flight on July 30 that they do not usually run, likely because of low bookings. They are not part of Star Alliance and will not fly you RT on United from Hawaii to SFO to Papeete for $1300. They may give you a discounted RT from Hawaii to SFO to get the United flights.

The longer you wait to make new reservations the likelihood is the fares will go up or even worse, the flights will sell out. There is very little capacity for travel from the US mainland to Tahiti.

I just did a mock booking on United: OGG-SFO-PPT-SFO-OGG. The cost is only $1620, so $300 more than the Hawaiian fares to PPT. Hawaiian will also refund your interisland fares to HNL so the total cost difference is even less. It is more flying but you will preserve all of your trip.

If you wish to PM me I can give you the name of a Maui based travel agent who specializes in French Polynesia (I am not the travel agent but I fly frequently OGG-PPT).

Sep 19, 2015
Ok I have read that Hawaiian airlines credit card has no travel insurance.

OP have you asked straight out if Hawaiian will endorse the ticket? Usually that is done in cases of mechanical issues and not so far in advance with a cancellation.

Also a polite letter may result in a voucher for the future travel on the airline if that is useful for you.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I think this answers your question. It is rare when poor customer service does a 180 degree turn.

Jun 22, 2019
Update: Hawaiian rebooked us on another airline for our original travel dates. Instead of going direct from HNL to PPT, we will be flying from HNL to SFO then from SFO to PPT and PPT to LAX then from LAX to HNL (an additional 24 and 18 hours of travel, respectively).

I suggest that if anyone encounters this type of situation in the future, they email, call, and document all communications with Hawaiian. Request to speak to a supervisor and remain firm on your requests. It may have helped that all travelers on this reservation are attorneys, but I suggest not just taking the options they give you and demand that Hawaiian Airlines accommodate you.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Update: Hawaiian rebooked us on another airline for our original travel dates. Instead of going direct from HNL to PPT, we will be flying from HNL to SFO then from SFO to PPT and PPT to LAX then from LAX to HNL (an additional 24 and 18 hours of travel, respectively).

I suggest that if anyone encounters this type of situation in the future, they email, call, and document all communications with Hawaiian. Request to speak to a supervisor and remain firm on your requests. It may have helped that all travelers on this reservation are attorneys, but I suggest not just taking the options they give you and demand that Hawaiian Airlines accommodate you.
Curious to what airline they booked you on....

Jun 22, 2019
The rebooked flights are on United and Air Tahiti Nui. They are not "star alliance" partners but I know they work with United with regards to inter island flights in Hawaii.

Air Tahiti Nui was by far the most helpful and easy to get a hold of. I was able to speak to someone in the United States, with no wait time. She was friendly and competent.

I cannot say the same for Hawaiian or United who have call centers located in the Philippines. Hawaiian Air's customer service and rebooking offices are woefully deficient. You are unable to call either department. Customer service can only contact you via email (they can take up to 30 days to respond--ridiculous). The rebooking office can only be contacted via internal email from someone at Hawaiian. The lack of ability to get ahold of anyone for urgent matters is completely asinine. We are going to keep pushing the matter to make sure that there is some sort of compensation for this major inconvenience.

My advice is not to give up. There are always other options for the airlines to reaccommodate you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Air Tahiti Nui is the most popular airline to book to Tahiti. We normally book clients on the most convenient flight to LAX and then always book Air Tahiti Nui from LA onward. They usually overnight in LAX and then fly the next day to Tahiti.