Hawaiian Airlines cancelled 4 hours before departure, and Costco Travel couldn’t find another flight! Help!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Always better to book direct; when there are problems you can get them solved more quickly. A real travel agent with 24-hour access is always a good idea for complex travel.

Jul 13, 2016
Costco does not run a major travel agency--they run a major box store with a travel section--those "agents" are just order takers--order takers are fine when ordered a a pallet of toilet paper, but not so much when dealing with the complexities of travel.
I am a travel advisor with a major brick and mortar agency with 200 offices around the world. I was once on a training session with order takers from Costco and one of their managers. I was speaking to him about booking cruises and all the nitty-gritty details that have to be taken care of--and he said to me, "What details?" I said, helping find the best cruise for them, dining choices, stateroom location and size, pre and post hotels, helping them sort out the best shore excursions--and he said, "Oh, we don't do any of that. We just book the cruise." He was astounded that I did all that for my clients.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You are exactly right. First, it’s outsourced and the agents are only trained to book what you ask. And this hey do not go out of their way to assist you when there are problems - they aren’t trained well enough.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Costco does not run a major travel agency--they run a major box store with a travel section--those "agents" are just order takers--order takers are fine when ordered a a pallet of toilet paper, but not so much when dealing with the complexities of travel.
I am a travel advisor with a major brick and mortar agency with 200 offices around the world. I was once on a training session with order takers from Costco and one of their managers. I was speaking to him about booking cruises and all the nitty-gritty details that have to be taken care of--and he said to me, "What details?" I said, helping find the best cruise for them, dining choices, stateroom location and size, pre and post hotels, helping them sort out the best shore excursions--and he said, "Oh, we don't do any of that. We just book the cruise." He was astounded that I did all that for my clients.
I appreciate your confirming what I've thought ever since that RCCL/Costco disaster. Great place for bargains, no better than an online service for helping travellers. The internet is a game-changer in so many ways!