Have a $24,500 Claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 2, 2018
I declined auto insurance for the rental of a truck with Enterprise and now have to pay it back. Is there anyway around this? I thought I have coverage with my Visa card, but trucks were not covered. The truck was supposedly written off. Does not Enterprise have insurance cover this. I would like to know if Enterprise is double dipping by getting their insurance to pay the vehicle out and then getting money from me as well.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
It wouldn't matter if they did, if you were at fault for the damage to the rental, then even if their insurance paid the company, the amount you owed would just be transferred to the insurance company.

I would really recommend talking with an attorney to determine your legal liability in this matter.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You needed to buy their insurance what you rented the truck. As Dwayne said- when you rent you are responsible for all damage to the vehicle.

Don’t you have your automobile policy? Many policies cover rentals.

If you don’t- you need an attorney.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I declined auto insurance for the rental of a truck with Enterprise and now have to pay it back. Is there anyway around this? I thought I have coverage with my Visa card, but trucks were not covered. The truck was supposedly written off. Does not Enterprise have insurance cover this. I would like to know if Enterprise is double dipping by getting their insurance to pay the vehicle out and then getting money from me as well.
Have you spoken to your auto insurer? Unfortunately, trucks and larger vans are not covered by most credit card insurance.

Sep 19, 2015
I believe Enterprise self insures so there is no third party insurance company that pays them. So I doubt that they are double dipping. Once a person rents the car they are responsible.

Self insures means one has money in a specific account to pay any judgments.

Many credit card companies have restrictions on the type of vehicle that is covered.

Mar 14, 2018
Even if Enterprise does have 3rd party insurance, they are the beneficiary and not the OP. The insurance company will pay Enterprise and then come after the OP themselves to try to collect for the damages. Enterprise will not "double dip."

Hopefully the OP has a collision policy on their own car. I just looked at mine and it would cover this situation as long as the truck is not too large.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
ADVOCATE ADVICE
Travel insurance offered by a credit card as a perk is becoming quite popular. But before you engage in activity that might require travel insurance, it's vital that you read all the fine print and know that your activity is covered by your CC. This is a very expensive tragedy that could have easily been avoided.

Last edited: