Had to pay full fare for baby but received confirmation that nothing was necessary for lap child...

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 21, 2014
Until the child’s birth certificate and passport are examined at the airport anyone can Buy a ticket as long as you understand and agree to the “TERM and conditions” of that ticket. The child’s age is part of those terms. Compliance with those terms is determined at check in.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If she can prove (reasonably) that she did, then I would think the confirmation email is sufficient . . .
Exactly. If UA wants to charge extra for a baby depending on age, they need to ask the baby's age. UA needs to tell the parent that they will require proof at the airport. To send out a confirmation and then extort the parent at the gate is ridiculous. Unfortunately, we are not communicating with the person who had the problem, so giving accurate advice is difficult.

Dec 19, 2014
How can the original post be by the first party -- do they refer to themselves in the third person?
In social media, "asking for a friend" is frequently used when in fact, the OP is asking for themselves. It is so pervasive that there are even meme's about it.

@frostin
Is "your friend" you, or not? What the other advocates are saying is, "your friend" needs to be the one posting and answering the questions.

United's policy is consistent with all major airlines across the world. Under 2 years old, no ticket is needed. The minute the infant turns 2 years old, it is considered a child, and needs to be ticketed as a child. The gate agent is correct. The 2+ year old "child" is no longer considered an infant and needs to be ticketed at a child's fare.

Outbound: Child is < 2 years old, the fee is 10% of the adult fare
Inbound: Child is > 2 years old, child needs a ticket (and own seat) and cannot ride as a lap child
Since this was an international flight, and a passport is involved, the age is known to the gate agent. (age verification is supposed to occur, but on domestic routes, there are anecdotal stories that age verification does not always occur)

On the return trip, did the child have his/her own seat? If not, then that is an issue and should be addressed.

Your success on getting compensation depends on whether the traveler was incorrectly or inadequately informed by United that a child's ticket was required for the return flight. As Neil said, the cost of purchasing said child's ticket may have been lower and that would be the basis for requesting a price adjustment.

BTW, this issue has been addressed by elliott.org before, and AFAIK, the rules have not changed
https://www.elliott.org/case-dismissed-2/timing-of-toddlers-birthday-cost-family-unexpected-4000/

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We also need honesty from folks that post here for help. If you want help we need to know everything- don’t withhold information, and don’t tell us you are doing it for a friend if it’s for you. What’s the point except for us to tell you we don’t advocate for third parties.

Remember - we are going to ask for all documents for your story so you had better be up front with us if you are asking for help. Read some of the blog stories and comments when the writers have found out that there was information withheld from us when they ask for all the emails.

Jan 24, 2015
We also need honesty from folks that post here for help. If you want help we need to know everything- don’t withhold information, and don’t tell us you are doing it for a friend if it’s for you. What’s the point except for us to tell you we don’t advocate for third parties.

Remember - we are going to ask for all documents for your story so you had better be up front with us if you are asking for help. Read some of the blog stories and comments when the writers have found out that there was information withheld from us when they ask for all the emails.
People, this is my friend. I posted on her behalf since she doesn't have an account. The original post is what she sent me. I'm not hiding anything.... I could've "lied" and said "me" instead of "my friend" but then... that would be lying. My friend is my friend and this is not me, and all the information provided is from her.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
People, this is my friend. I posted on her behalf since she doesn't have an account. The original post is what she sent me. I'm not hiding anything.... I could've "lied" and said "me" instead of "my friend" but then... that would be lying. My friend is my friend and this is not me, and all the information provided is from her.
You stated to us “the original post is from the first party”- it’s not, it’s your version of what she told you - which makes it a third party post which we can’t advocate.

I would suggest you have her join here just as you did and she can answer the questions we’ve asked personally.

This is our FAQ on what we do and don’t advocate. We can’t offer you any more advice - she needs to write as we have told you to UA because from everything we have seen she was properly charged- the information is on the UA website.

https://www.elliott.org/frequently-asked-questions/