Guaranteed with booking sites?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 19, 2015
Even when property is not fully booked, you are highly likely to get the worst rooms available. Obvious reason: the agancy fee.

In Nevis, plumber three days unsuccessful in stemming floor awash from toilet. Mattress travel across Atlantic with founders. Minifridge low on freon ran continuously.

Owner laughingly confirmed my charge. Did provide exceptional free upgrade.

But booking direct is no guarantee. Couple in Scotland last week were allotted a room that, they said, vibrated from the adjacent kitchen exhaust. Desk, with hotel fully booked, lamely noted that the fan switched off at 10 p.m.

Years ago, I asked to view room options. Now computer makes assignments. So Ioften ask for upgrade cost and options.

Any clever trick from savvy travelers?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am not certain what you are talking about. What reservation site are you talking about? Are you located in the US? Does the site advise you they have a fee?

It is well known when you book through an OTA you do get the worst rooms in a hotel. You paid the least, the hotel is going to give their best rooms to the people who have paid the most for their rooms.

The tricks? Read reviews before you book any hotel. Book direct - they will usually with with you if there is a problem with your room. Don’t book 2 star hotels.

Feb 3, 2017
I only ever book directly with an accommodation - maybe try that in future. You can usually establish contact early on and if there is a problem, you don't have to muck around with a third party. Check and you will find you are not (usually) getting a better price with a third party

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I always call to confirm and will request the kind of room i want i never had an issue
That is the best way to confirm your reservation - never assume.

As far as upgrades - book directly and book with hotels that have a loyalty program. More and more hotels are not allowing upgrades if you have booked through an OTA.

A perfect example - we had a group traveling on a cruise in May. We obtained a group rate at a hotel for one night pre-cruise. The hotel included free parking and transportation to the cruise ship.

One couple booked through an OTA to save $20 on the booking. When they arrived, they asked if the could pay extra for the transportation to the ship. They were told not only could they not pay for the transportation, they couldn't leave their car at the hotel either because they booked with Expedia. To save $20, it ended costing them an additional $80 to park at the pier.

Jul 27, 2016
It is well known when you book through an OTA you do get the worst rooms in a hotel.
This may be true if you're booking through an opaque platform, and can be true if you're paying a prepaid rate, but if you're booking an ordinary room at an ordinary rate, I haven't seen any consistent difference between what I get when booked through my corporate agent, through an OTA like Expedia, or directly with the hotel. Hotels in my experience treat travel agent bookings alike, whether they're bricks and mortar or online.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This may be true if you're booking through an opaque platform, and can be true if you're paying a prepaid rate, but if you're booking an ordinary room at an ordinary rate, I haven't seen any consistent difference between what I get when booked through my corporate agent, through an OTA like Expedia, or directly with the hotel. Hotels in my experience treat travel agent bookings alike, whether they're bricks and mortar or online.
Read a book called Heads in Beds.,

Sep 21, 2018
NOT true - OTAs get lowest fares for least attractive inventory.