GOTOGATE REFUND

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 5, 2021
I purchased 3 round trip tickets for June 2020 from Boston to Rome via GOTOGATE. They have still not refunded my tickets.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Please give us more information such as:

When did you purchase the tickets?
Did you cancel the reservations or did the airline cancel the flights?
If the airline cancelled the flights, what did gotogate communicate regarding the cancelled flights?
Did you read the terms of the contract when you purchased the tickets from gotogate for things such as fees if the flight is cancelled, future flight credits?
How did you pay for the tickets....credit card? If so, who charged your credit card, the airline or gotogate?

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
I think you need to explain a lot more of your story. If you do some help or options could be mentioned.
How a bit more detail.
What airline?
What have you done to try and get your refund?
Did you cancel this flight or did the airlines?
Did GotoGate say they were refunding you?
Have you heard from GTG?
Do you have any correspondence from GTG?

Sorry for the redundancy. I was typing at the same time as you Patina. And you covered my question better then I did. TY

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021
Here is the requested additional information

When did you purchase the tickets? Three round trip airline tickets were purchased on January 8, 2020 for Lufthansa flights from Boston to Rome via Frankfurt on 6/19/2020 (and 6/20/2020 as the flight is overnight) and Lufthansa flight from Rome to Boston via Munich on 6/29/2020
Did you cancel the reservations or did the airline cancel the flights? On June 1st GOTOGATE asked if I'd like to rebook the flights for a later date or request a refund, I requested a refund. On July 13, 2020 GOTOGATE told me that my booking was formally cancelled.
If the airline cancelled the flights, what did gotogate communicate regarding the cancelled flights? In the July 13, 2020 e-mail to me GOTOGATE said "We have already sent a refund application to the airline(s) that you have booked with. If/when it has been approved and refunded to us by the airline(s), we will process your refund fully." I was getting updated (saying they are working on it and not to call) e-mails 2 times a month from GOTOGATE, telling me that it was still in process. On 1/15/2021I was informed by GOTOGATE that Lufthansa had approved my refund request, but due to the large number of cases and the need for manual handling the refund may take a long time. On 2/14/2020 GOTOGATE informed me that the regular updates 2 times a month were no longer being offered and I would need to research on their website for the status on my refund. Looking for the status update today this is what I find for an update- "<p>We have canceled your order and sent a refund application to the airline. When the request is granted by the airline and payment is received by us we will process your refund. You will receive an email when your refund has been processed.</p> <p>Please also note that due to the current situation, the handling time will be longer than normal. We are unable to give you an exact time as the airlines are also dealing with massive workloads, but we will of course do our very best to complete your request as soon as possible after the airline has refunded the amount to us. You will receive an email when everything has been processed. Please wait for that email before trying to contact us by phone or email or social media since our current answering times, which goes for everyone in the flight industry, are much longer than normal. <br/>Thank you!</p>"
Did you read the terms of the contract when you purchased the tickets from gotogate for things such as fees if the flight is cancelled, future flight credits? No.
How did you pay for the tickets....credit card? My Chase Credit Card
If so, who charged your credit card, the airline or gotogate? I was charged $4,190.42 by GOTOGATE out of Florida on 1/9/2020.

Reactions: Patina
Apr 5, 2021
Why are you due a refund?
On June 1st GOTOGATE asked if I'd like to rebook the flights for a later date or request a refund, I requested a refund. On July 13, 2020 GOTOGATE told me that my booking was formally cancelled and the refund was in process.

Apr 5, 2021
Detail as requested.
What airline? Lufthansa
What have you done to try and get your refund? On June 1st GOTOGATE asked if I'd like to rebook the flights for a later date or request a refund, I requested a refund. On July 13, 2020 GOTOGATE told me that my booking was formally cancelled and the refund was in process.

Did you cancel this flight or did the airlines? See above.

Did GotoGate say they were refunding you? On 1/15/2021I was informed by GOTOGATE that Lufthansa had approved my refund request, but due to the large number of cases and the need for manual handling the refund may take a long time.

Have you heard from GTG? On 2/14/2020 GOTOGATE informed me that the regular updates 2 times a month were no longer being offered and I would need to research on their website for the status on my refund. Looking for the status update today this is what I find for an update- "<p>We have canceled your order and sent a refund application to the airline. When the request is granted by the airline and payment is received by us we will process your refund. You will receive an email when your refund has been processed.</p> <p>Please also note that due to the current situation, the handling time will be longer than normal. We are unable to give you an exact time as the airlines are also dealing with massive workloads, but we will of course do our very best to complete your request as soon as possible after the airline has refunded the amount to us. You will receive an email when everything has been processed. Please wait for that email before trying to contact us by phone or email or social media since our current answering times, which goes for everyone in the flight industry, are much longer than normal. <br/>Thank you!</p>"

Do you have any correspondence from GTG? See above.

Sorry for the redundancy. I was typing at the same time as you Patina. And you covered my question better then I did. TY Thank you!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Since you canceled the flights prior to the airline canceling the flights, you are due what your ticket contract states when you booked, regardless of anything you were later told by GTG. Since you canceled you may be due only a voucher on Lufthansa if you had a published fare. Airlines were not refunding tickets canceled by the traveler unless the ticket was a refundable fare. If you had a non-published fare through GTG it is possible that you are not due a refund or a voucher.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
On June 1st GOTOGATE asked if I'd like to rebook the flights for a later date or request a refund, I requested a refund. On July 13, 2020 GOTOGATE told me that my booking was formally cancelled and the refund was in process.
I’m still not clear in what happened. Did Lufthansa cancel the flight or did you cancel
it? Your rights depend on who canceled. If the flight went out and you canceled, a full refund isn’t due. You would receive refund less any airline or agency cancellation fees.

Who charged your card? Lufthansa or GotoGate?

But the airlines are taking a very long time to refund as they just don’t have cash for refunds.
No, you don’t have to file a new request, you just needed to answer the questions we posed to determine if you are even due a refund.

Reactions: Comicman

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Eeek! I am sorry but @weihlac is correct. Waiting until the airline cancelled the flights is the proper way to go to be eligible for a refund. Not sure what you mean by "formally cancelled" but I am going to assume the airline cancelled the flights on July 13th. I wish we had better news for you.

This, among other reasons, is why we always recommend booking flights directly with the airline. The OTA does not care about its customers, only its bottom line. By 'encouraging' you to rebook or request a refund (essentially forcing you to cancel the reservation) allowed the OTA to keep your money. If the business were a true travel agency, they would have recommended you wait until the airline cancelled the flight so you would be eligible for a full refund.

There may be someone who pops on this thread with a suggestion for you to try so check back in the next few days. You may have a last ditch effort option.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I’m still not clear in what happened. Did Lufthansa cancel the flight or did you cancel
it? Your rights depend on who canceled. If the flight went out and you canceled, a full refund isn’t due. You would receive refund less any airline or agency cancellation fees.

Who charged your card? Lufthansa or GotoGate?

But the airlines are taking a very long time to refund as they just don’t have cash for refunds.
No, you don’t have to file a new request, you just needed to answer the questions we posed to determine if you are even due a refund.
Patina said:
If so, who charged your credit card, the airline or gotogate? I was charged $4,190.42 by GOTOGATE out of Florida on 1/9/2020.

Jun 24, 2019
OP may well have bought non-refundable tickets at an unpublished fare. However, OP reports that both Lufthansa and the OTA promised a refund. That gets us past the issue of whether OP was entitled to a refund. (I recognize that there is a legal quibble about whether the promise of a refund came with any consideration.)

So OP’s question is whether there is any consumer advocacy OP can do that will help OP get the refund that was promised. Since the OTA won’t make a refund until Lufthansa refunds, I would suggest that OP write to Lufthansa, to the contacts available elsewhere on this site, one executive at a time, a week apart, asking about the status of the refund. Once Lufthansa makes the refund, then OP can press the OTA to pay the refund, less any contractual service charges. We need not worry whether these tickets were non-refundable until someone replies and says so. Right now, OP reports a promise of a refund, so OP ought to pursue that.

Reactions: TropicalRichmond
Apr 5, 2021
Eeek! I am sorry but @weihlac is correct. Waiting until the airline cancelled the flights is the proper way to go to be eligible for a refund. Not sure what you mean by "formally cancelled" but I am going to assume the airline cancelled the flights on July 13th. I wish we had better news for you.

This, among other reasons, is why we always recommend booking flights directly with the airline. The OTA does not care about its customers, only its bottom line. By 'encouraging' you to rebook or request a refund (essentially forcing you to cancel the reservation) allowed the OTA to keep your money. If the business were a true travel agency, they would have recommended you wait until the airline cancelled the flight so you would be eligible for a full refund.

There may be someone who pops on this thread with a suggestion for you to try so check back in the next few days. You may have a last ditch effort option.
Okay thanks.

Apr 5, 2021
OP may well have bought non-refundable tickets at an unpublished fare. However, OP reports that both Lufthansa and the OTA promised a refund. That gets us past the issue of whether OP was entitled to a refund. (I recognize that there is a legal quibble about whether the promise of a refund came with any consideration.)

So OP’s question is whether there is any consumer advocacy OP can do that will help OP get the refund that was promised. Since the OTA won’t make a refund until Lufthansa refunds, I would suggest that OP write to Lufthansa, to the contacts available elsewhere on this site, one executive at a time, a week apart, asking about the status of the refund. Once Lufthansa makes the refund, then OP can press the OTA to pay the refund, less any contractual service charges. We need not worry whether these tickets were non-refundable until someone replies and says so. Right now, OP reports a promise of a refund, so OP ought to pursue that.
GOTOGATE e-mailed me on 1/15/2021 stating "Refund processed by Lufthansa- Your application has been approved by Lufthansa and they have sent us either full or partial refund. We will now process the payout to make sure you receive the correct amount." they then went on to the fact that there are a large number of cases and that they will get me my refund "as fast as we possibly can."

Reactions: Patina
Jun 24, 2019
How do I find out if they are refundable? Why have they been telling me all along that the refund was in process?
At this point in time I don’t see how that information helps. I think you ought to press Lufthansa, using the procedures outlined on this site, to make the refund it promised. If, in the end, Lufthansa and GoToGate tell you that they made a mistake and the tickets are not refundable, and you are satisfied with that answer, you can accept it. But now, considering the effort you have put in, a little more effort may be successful.

I’m sitting with vouchers from Al Italia that the airline offered when I cancelled the flight. OIur fare was non-refundable. The flight actually flew that day. I will likely never use the vouchers.

Jun 24, 2019
GOTOGATE e-mailed me on 1/15/2021 stating "Refund processed by Lufthansa- Your application has been approved by Lufthansa and they have sent us either full or partial refund. We will now process the payout to make sure you receive the correct amount." they then went on to the fact that there are a large number of cases and that they will get me my refund "as fast as we possibly can."
OK, so now press GoToGate for whatever refund it will make. Go ToGate will likely charge a fee. I do not see that we post any company contacts for GoToGate, but you can submit a research request for volunteers to search one out.

Reactions: VoR61
Apr 5, 2021
I have an e-mail from GOTOGATE that says Lufthansa has "sent us either a full or partial refund". See attached.

When I look in the GOTOGATE site it says:

"In order to be able to pay out your refunds faster, we have decided to move resources from answering updates on refund requests over the phone to preparing and paying out refunds to customers.
Therefore, you will not be able to speak to an agent to inquire about a refund in progress.

However, you can always check the status of your refund by looking into "My Bookings". Follow these steps to log in:
  1. Go to the site you booked on.
  2. Click “My Bookings” in the top right corner.
  3. Log in with Facebook or Google if you used the email linked to those accounts to make the booking. If not, enter your order number and the email you used when booking.
  4. When logged in you will see your bookings and refund status. Remember to click on “Your refund case info” to expand and see all the information.
We are continually applying pressure on our airline partners to get your refund as quickly as possible, and we have implemented automation to increase the refund pace."

When I look up "My Bookings" instructed above, there is no “Your refund case info” option....

In the past when I have reached out to Lufthansa they have told me that I need to contact GOTOGATE.

I just feel like I am getting a complete run around here......

Attachments

• 1-15-2021 Refund from Lufthansa (2).png
    1-15-2021 Refund from Lufthansa (2).png
    165 KB · Views: 0