Got ripped off by Hertz Rent-A-Car and they refuse to correct and refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 28, 2019
Before we left for Ireland on April 9th, we were told by a Hertz Customer Service Rep that the only requirement was a $200.00 deposit to rent a car at Hertz's Dublin Ireland Airport. We asked if there were any hidden charges or costs and they said no.

Upon arrival at Dublin Airport Hertz, we were informed that a $700.00 supercoverage cost was needed to rent a car in addition to car rental costs and taxes. This is not what we were told before we left the US and had we known of the Dublin charge, we would have booked through another rental company.

We emailed Hertz numerous times and gave them the name of the Service Rep who quoted us a $200.00 charge. Hertz blames Dublin Hertz for the charge. What is the customer to do? Should everyone with already heavy charges on their credit cards to book a trip be held at a virtual gunpoint by another Hertz dealer? If the corporate name is HERTZ, they should have uniform policies on what is required.

Hertz's customer service replies to us were so rude and unhelpful in addition to the time it took them to get back to us and the lack of follow-up from a Supervisor. I'm still hoping we can get a $500.00 difference refund from Hertz, a portion of which we will donate to charity. Please help! Thank you.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
How were you planning on covering collision insurance? Also if you are in the right I don't see a need to donate the refund to charity even though I'm a big advocate of giving charity.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Renting in Ireland is very different from other European locations. Have you looked at other rental sites to see if these charges are unique to Hertz? You may find they are not unique to Hertz. Many, if not most, of the credit cards which cover auto rental insurance EXCLUDE Ireland from their coverage. Our daughter rented in Dublin and was required to take additional insurance (do not know what she paid for it). She was told her CC insurance would not work.

You can reach out directly to Hertz Corporate (via email, not phone).
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hertz/

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Insurance is mandatory. If your credit card didn't cover it, you would need to buy it. That having been said, I don't know if you had to buy supercoverage. When I rented there, I bought insurance and it was reasonably priced.

Sep 19, 2015
There must be some miscommunication. Without the supercoverage the deposit would likely have been at least 700 plus euros. Supercoverage eliminates the excess deductible and a deposit is only held for the fuel.

Deposits are high without the full coverage — for more expensive cars it could be 2000 euro as that is the deductible on the minimum mandatory insurance.

Sep 12, 2018
Dublin airport is a genuinely terrible place to rent a car. My credit card does cover Ireland, and I printed out the terms and conditions of the coverage to show the desk agent “just in case.” That wasn’t good enough. I had to make an international call to American Express and have them email the coverage information to the branch manager before they would accept it. And then, despite evidence of both liability and primary collision/damage/theft coverage, they still put a €2,000 hold on my card, even though they could not explain what it was for. The agent then had the temerity to ask me how they were supposed to make any money at the advertised prices. So they really don’t want to rent you a car without insurance paid through them, and they’ll do everything in their power to inconvenience or refuse a customer who doesn’t need it.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
And then, despite evidence of both liability and primary collision/damage/theft coverage, they still put a €2,000 hold on my card, even though they could not explain what it was for.
The hold is just a guarantee that you have a specific amount of funds on the card so they can charge if the vehicle is returned with any damage. Having your own coverage doesn't provide any guarantee that they will be able to recoup any loss otherwise.

Sep 19, 2015
There must be some confusion over the terms.

In Ireland CDW is basic insurance is mandatory and built into the price of the rental.

Without the super waiver one has a large deposit, as Nathan Witt found out.

This is not a scam. No company wants to deal with a foreign credit card insurance because of time and jurisdiction issuesz

I wonder if there was a miscommunication with the OP — there would not be a $200 deposit without supercollider waiverz

Hertz has this info on their website and I have attached a screenshot.

OP could there have been a misunderstanding over the phone because a $200 deposit would be a fuel deposit — and if it is a deposit why would you rhinknthe siffeeence is $500 — a deposit should be returned if there is a full tank and car returned on time—

As one can see from th screenshot the minimum deposit for the cheapest car is Euro 1,600 without the full credit virage (ie super waiver).

I rent cars is Italy and the situation is similar.

Attachments

Jan 28, 2019
Nathan the hold is in case of an accident - they want to make sure that you have available credit. Many car rental companies do this when you don't buy insurance.
Thanks for being able to read all of these threads. We paid $65 to Expedia when we booked the Hertz reservation for the collision insurance. This is what we were told and Hertz c onfirmed that insurance was all we needed and there were no hidden fees. They knew we were going to Ireland, and knew we were renting in Ireland. Now I read from others that renting in Ireland is different from other European locations. Someone said credit cards which cover auto rental insurance EXCLUDE IRELAND. How were we to know this? The charge went thru no one at Hertz said anything.

I'm back to square one. Why were we mandated to purchase supercoverage in Dublin. Should every US citizen get Hertz's policies in writing before leaving the States? I still expect a refund from Hertz. They cannot run a company around the world with varying policies stuck on the traveler.

Sep 19, 2015
This is not just an issue for US citizens— Australians, Kiwis, Russians,and others have the same concern.

Many credit cards exclude countries like Ireland and Italy — and many countries have the mandatory requirements for rental car insurance — like theft.
Italy requires a renter pay for basic coverage as does Ireland. Some credit cards do not offer any car rental insurance. How is a company going to know what every credit card from every foreign country has as car insurance benefit?

Renting and driving a car in a foreign country is a privilege and with that comes responsibility— such as understanding street signs, whether an international driver’s license is needed, insurance issues etc.

There are different rules in states in the US - in CA a rental car company cannot charge extra for a spouse as an additional driver— in other states they can.

What did Expedia write in the confirmation?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks for being able to read all of these threads. We paid $65 to Expedia when we booked the Hertz reservation for the collision insurance. This is what we were told and Hertz c onfirmed that insurance was all we needed and there were no hidden fees. They knew we were going to Ireland, and knew we were renting in Ireland. Now I read from others that renting in Ireland is different from other European locations. Someone said credit cards which cover auto rental insurance EXCLUDE IRELAND. How were we to know this? The charge went thru no one at Hertz said anything.

I'm back to square one. Why were we mandated to purchase supercoverage in Dublin. Should every US citizen get Hertz's policies in writing before leaving the States? I still expect a refund from Hertz. They cannot run a company around the world with varying policies stuck on the traveler.
You needed to ask your credit card about it. If you read guide books about Ireland this is usually disclosed. You don’t know what you don’t know when you book your own travel if you aren’t experienced in the country you are traveling to.

If you had booked with a travel agent they would have told you this. When you are traveling to a foreign country you need to do a lot of homework especially if you are renting a car. Some countries require an international drivers license too- you could be refused a rental if you don’t have one.

Dec 19, 2014
Here is my understanding about renting in Ireland

CDW is mandatory. Super CDW is not.
If Super CDW is not elected, a credit care hold in excess of $3000 will be applied to cover the deductible.
If the OP's credit card would not authorize the $3000, then the Super CDW purchase would be mandatory.
The $65 insurance that the OP paid to Expedia may not have been suffice for Ireland. Will need to review the terms and conditions.

If the OP was forced to purchase super CDW versus CDW, she *MAY* have a valid case as to the refund of the difference.

Dec 19, 2014

OK, this reply alarms me.

How were we to know this? You are. It's called due diligence and ignorance isn't a valid excuse. If you aren't comfortable verifying the information then you need a professional travel agent to help keep you informed

Should every US citizen get Hertz's policies in writing before leaving the States? In a nutshell, yes, as well as your credit card's insurance policies.

Why were we mandated to purchase supercoverage in Dublin? Don't know. That is the question you need to ask Hertz. However, one possible explanation is if your credit card would not authorize a $3000+ hold using basic CDW, then you would be required to purchase super CDW.

They cannot run a company around the world with varying policies stuck on the traveler.
Frankly, this is an ignorant statement. It is your responsibility to know if you travel outside the US.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
OK, this reply alarms me.

How were we to know this? You are. It's called due diligence and ignorance isn't a valid excuse. If you aren't comfortable verifying the information then you need a professional travel agent to help keep you informed

Should every US citizen get Hertz's policies in writing before leaving the States? In a nutshell, yes, as well as your credit card's insurance policies.

Why were we mandated to purchase supercoverage in Dublin? Don't know. That is the question you need to ask Hertz. However, one possible explanation is if your credit card would not authorize a $3000+ hold using basic CDW, then you would be required to purchase super CDW.

They cannot run a company around the world with varying policies stuck on the traveler.
Frankly, this is an ignorant statement. It is your responsibility to know if you travel outside the US.
They booked through Expedia. Need we say more? It’s all do it yourself through Expedia. You had better research everything in your own because Expedia is a booking agency not a travel Agency.

Sep 19, 2015
Chris in NC, the minimum insurance in Ireland is included in a rental -- but as you mentioned there is a large deposit held on the credit card -- this is the deductible for the basic insurance. -- For a Ford Focus there deductible is Euro 2000. So yes, it is a big deposit. If someone cannot have that deposit hold they must take the super collision.

If the OP does write to the contacts I would advise to omit statements such as:

Hertz can and must comply with local laws and policies which can be very different. The business world does not revolve around American tourists.
Laws on driving, such as needing an international driver's license, insurance issues, driving laws, parking laws -- it is the responsibility of the driver to know and obey them. If one does not want to do the research themselves, one should use a travel agent.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Hertz's policies for each country are available on their website. I am still concerned about the cost of the insurance though. You should probably be taking this up with Expedia not Hertz. Book directly next time.