Google Play gift card issue

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2019
Hi, new member here

Recently i had a problem with redeeming Google Play gift cards. The gift cards could not be redeemed with error message "There is a problem with that code. Try a different one...". This happened frequently even with cards bought from a legit website like seagm. I tried contacting and filling a document and it worked sometimes, Google just filled the balance directly to my accounts but most of the time it didn't or took too long for Google to respond me however since the cards' value is very low like $10 or $15 so i just threw them away.

I heard from someone that i needed a VPN to redeem Google cards, i tried but sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. Anyone knows how to resolve or avoid this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm not so sure how legit SEA Gamer Mall is as a website. It seems to have a lot of mixed to negative reviews online. The only place Google says is authorized to sell Google Play gift cards in Malaysia is 7-Eleven. https://play.google.com/intl/ms_my/about/giftcards/

Have you tried gift cards from 7-Eleven and do you have problems with those cards?
The OP is located in Texas. The cards are sold throughout the US.

To our OP- are you buying these on discount card websites or at a retail store that sells them?

If you are buying them on website that owners resell the cards they are often compromised and whoever had the card and sold it can redeem the cards once they have your money.

Aug 21, 2019
actually i'm living in Thailand and there's no US Google play card sold in 7-11 or any minimart here.

basically this is the only way i can access to US contents in Playstore, just buying US Google Play cards from websites. for SEAGM, i'm not sure but they're quite popular in Southeast Asia and they usually sell all cards at full price.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Buying from websites - resale- are fraught with fraud. If someone selling you these cards has the card number and PIN, they could sell it to you and then redeem those codes before you have a chance to and that’s possibly why you ate getting these messages. The cards may have already been used.

Aug 21, 2019
i don't think these cards were already used coz sometimes i contacted Google support and they directly refilled gift card balance to my accounts directly. They would've refused to do so if those cards were already used.

moreover Seagm has been selling cards for a long time, i mean they're quite a big company. i don't think they would scam their customers. so i dunno.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 14, 2018
only TH cards are available not US.

i need US Google Play cards to use in US Playstore.
As a resident of Thailand, you are not eligible to use the US Play Store or US Play Gift Cards. The store sells copyrighted material that is not licensed for your region. That's why Google blocked your access, which you then attempted to bypass by using a VPN.

This is the first line of Google Play's Gift Card Terms:

Eligibility and Redemption. Google Play Gift Cards (“Gift Cards”) and prepaid Play balance including redeemed Google Play gift cards, credits or gift codes (“Credits”) are valid only for users who are 13 years of age or older, and who are residents of the USA.​
There are a number of ways for Google to determine your location, which is probably why you are being caught frequently.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
I'm sorry, but we can't advise you on how to get around the geographical restrictions that companies and websites have set up to deter transactions from consumers they are not targeting.

If you purchased a card from a 3rd party you would need to work with them to address any refund/return.

I'm closing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.