• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 21, 2017
Hello,
When it came time for me to replace my phone a year and a half ago, I took a risk and did something I have not done since the first iPhone was released..... I went with an altogether different phone. At the time, the Google Pixel & Google Pixel XL were not out, yet, so I waited patiently until they were released. They quickly sold out, however, and continued to sell out very quickly every time more became available through the Google store. Finally, in mid-March, I was able to order a Google Pixel XL and was very excited for it's arrival.

To make a long story short, the phone has had issues since the beginning.... Sometimes the screen flickers, sometime the audio skips, and, amongst other issues, worst of all, is that sometimes the phone randomly shuts off for no apparent reason. I had a few instances where it took anywhere from 30 min to an hour before I could even get it to power on, again. Aside from the issues I faced, I do like the phone and look forward to seeing future iterations of it.

The problem, now, is that throughout having all of these issues, I was in a very hectic time and could not afford the time to go through the process of trying to have my phone replaced. Just the other night, however, an incident occurred where an inebriated individual walked into my arm at full force, knocking the phone out of my hand and having it drop to the floor. When I picked it up, I really wasn't expecting much damage, if any, but upon inspection, I saw that not only had the glass cracked, it had cracked very badly and all over both the front AND back.

My concern is that if I now contact Google re: the issues I have been facing since the beginning and ask for a replacement, that they may not agree to it because of the newly cracked screen.

For someone who makes a living as a struggling artist, it would be absolutely heartbreaking if after all this time with a malfunctioning phone, I were unable to get a replacement because of the very recent issue with the screen.

I do think that Google is a great company, and that was part of why I held off on getting a new phone and also opted out of getting the iPhone as I have historically done since they were first released. I sent in feedback rather often via my Pixel XL, just because I wanted to help, not because I was angry, or anything of the sort.... I want to see their products do well and am excited to see what they come out with in the future. :)

Anyways.......

Any help or advice you may be able to offer would be more than greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration!

All the best.
Sincerely,

Peter W.

P.S. here are just a few other issues that have constantly plagued my phone since the beginning....
- Apps constantly crashing, including some standard apps like even just the "Settings" app.
- Texts and/or phone calls received late or not at all

desired resolution: Ideally, I would like to be able to receive a fully functioning replacement Google Pixel XL phone without any of the issues that has plagued mine.

Date that phone was ordered: 2017-03-09

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Oh my, what a mess. This will take REAL writing skill, Peter! Your job will be to convince Google that you have actually had troubles with the phone from inception and are not trying to scam them now that it's so damaged. Unless, of course, you bought the phone with a credit card that offers all those little perks such as product replacement, travel insurance, that kind of thing. Is there any possibility of that?

You'll need to be concise and factual; aim your prose at someone who reads complaints all day and is quite skeptical. If you want to post a draft, we'll be glad to critique it for you. Are there any resources for you to find out if others have had the same kind of issues as you?

It just occurs to me ... can you contact the phone people to find out if there's any kind of record of your phone malfunctioning? I know nothing about this stuff, but I believe in trying everything.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017
Oh my, what a mess. This will take REAL writing skill, Peter! Your job will be to convince Google that you have actually had troubles with the phone from inception and are not trying to scam them now that it's so damaged. Unless, of course, you bought the phone with a credit card that offers all those little perks such as product replacement, travel insurance, that kind of thing. Is there any possibility of that?

You'll need to be concise and factual; aim your prose at someone who reads complaints all day and is quite skeptical. If you want to post a draft, we'll be glad to critique it for you. Are there any resources for you to find out if others have had the same kind of issues as you?

It just occurs to me ... can you contact the phone people to find out if there's any kind of record of your phone malfunctioning? I know nothing about this stuff, but I believe in trying everything.

Thank you so much for your reply, your time, and your advice, jsn55!

To answer your first question..... I'm actually not sure. I used my PayPal Debit Card for Businesses (it can be used as a credit card, as well, as long as you have the funds in your account). I suppose I should try to look up whether it offers any of the perks that you mentioned.

Oh, also, I can't remember if I mentioned this in my initial post, but on the Google Pixel and Pixel XL, there is a feature that lets you submit feedback along with a bug report any time that a bug occurs, which I would do just about any time that the option was there and I had the chace (i.e. was not in a frantic rush, or anything. I can't remember if that option would present itself after ALL of the different types of bugs that I would get... I'm particularly thinking about the ones that crashed the operating system of the whole phone). Either way, they SHOULD have a good number of reports submitted by me. Another fun little fact is that I worked in QA for 8 years at Rockstar Games NYC, so submitting bug reports is like second nature to me, haha..... I think that in some cases, I may have even included "Steps to Reproduce", lol.

In regards to finding out if others have had any of the same kinds of issues that I have, my only resource, really, is just to browse the web. Although, the way that I stumbled onto this very site was by doing that and seeing a post about a google phone that sounded like it had some very similar issues (minus the cracked screen). I think my biggest worry IS that I fear they will think that I am full of it, or something like that.... which is why I am really hoping that those bug submissions went somewhere that customer care has access to.

Oh, and it's funny, I only just saw the last part of your response re: them having a record, but, yes, as I prematurely mentioned above, they SHOULD have a rather large record of a lot of the issues I had (depending on how they handle incoming reports, etc).

It's a shame that we live in a world where one's first thought, in a case like this (when playing the role of the company representative), is that the customer is either bending the truth or flat out lying to get what they want as opposed to just having faith that the company will treat them well and do whatever they can to help out. As I mentioned in my original post, up until this phone, I had ONLY had iPhones since the very first model. One year I did something incredibly stupid and walked RIGHT into a pool with the iPhone in my pocket! I went to the cloesest Apple Store as soon as I could (we were on vacation in someplace like Nantucket and had to wait til we hit mainland). Instead of trying to "pull a fast one" on the Apple Store employee who assisted me, I walked in, told him that I wasn't going to try and B.S. him, and that I had literally just walked into a pool with the phone in my pocket! lol. I am not sure if it was just because he was a nice guy or because he appreciated the honesty, but he really helped me out that day (this was probably 10 years ago) and literally gave me a brand spanking new replacement phone right then and there! If only things were that easy, now!

Anyways, I apologize for the lengthy response, but I hope I answered all of your questions and hopefully painted an even clearer image of what is going on.

Thank you SO much for your time and help. It is very much appreciated! I hope you have a wonderful rest of the day and an amazing weekend!

All the best,

Peter F. Woloszyn

Oct 13, 2015
Peter, I feel your pain. I'm that person who ordered shoes from Zappos and missed the 1 year deadline to return them because I just kept forgetting.

That said, I also see the other side. I'm an optometrist and over the years, my colleagues and I have been asked to bill eye exams to the wrong insurance (family member who needed care didn't have vision insurance but her son who didn't need care did.), scammed by a priest who swore that he'd come back and pay us, been told "I want to see a white doctor, not one of those Orientals." Just last year, a patient cancelled upon arriving and discovering I'm female. Sometimes it's hard not to get jaded.

Talk to any server and you'll get stories of how people complained about the food and want it comped but ate it all anyway. 2 days ago, I stood behind a woman at Nordstrom who was trying to return jeans and shoes that were 5 years old and had been worn.

My favorite story was from a patient who was a server at a local pizza restaurant. A woman ordered her pizza without onions and demanded that her pizza be free because it came with onions. The chefs swore that they made that pizza as ordered. When they pulled the tape, it clearly showed the woman pulling out her own bag of onions and sprinkling them on the pizza after it had been served. I would have paid to be a fly on the wall when they confronted her.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling but as with a lot of things, the bad apples spoil it for the rest of us.

Apr 10, 2017
Peter, I feel your pain. I'm that person who ordered shoes from Zappos and missed the 1 year deadline to return them because I just kept forgetting.

That said, I also see the other side. I'm an optometrist and over the years, my colleagues and I have been asked to bill eye exams to the wrong insurance (family member who needed care didn't have vision insurance but her son who didn't need care did.), scammed by a priest who swore that he'd come back and pay us, been told "I want to see a white doctor, not one of those Orientals." Just last year, a patient cancelled upon arriving and discovering I'm female. Sometimes it's hard not to get jaded.

Talk to any server and you'll get stories of how people complained about the food and want it comped but ate it all anyway. 2 days ago, I stood behind a woman at Nordstrom who was trying to return jeans and shoes that were 5 years old and had been worn.

My favorite story was from a patient who was a server at a local pizza restaurant. A woman ordered her pizza without onions and demanded that her pizza be free because it came with onions. The chefs swore that they made that pizza as ordered. When they pulled the tape, it clearly showed the woman pulling out her own bag of onions and sprinkling them on the pizza after it had been served. I would have paid to be a fly on the wall when they confronted her.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling but as with a lot of things, the bad apples spoil it for the rest of us.
I wish I could like this many times. I'm a dentist and I have very similar stories. Just yesterday a woman came in with dentures she swore she had "never worn" because they "weren't made right". They were made in 2012 and showed obvious signs of wear and staining. She had never been back to my office until yesterday. The dentures were made soon after her teeth were extracted and her mouth had changed dramatically. She either needed to have her current set relined or have a new set made. She was told all of this would happen when she had the dentures made 5 years ago. Of course she expected any work to be free since they "weren't made right" in the first place. Spoiler alert--that didn't happen.

You and I could swap stories for days! ;)

Oct 13, 2015
I wish I could like this many times. I'm a dentist and I have very similar stories. Just yesterday a woman came in with dentures she swore she had "never worn" because they "weren't made right". They were made in 2012 and showed obvious signs of wear and staining. She had never been back to my office until yesterday. The dentures were made soon after her teeth were extracted and her mouth had changed dramatically. She either needed to have her current set relined or have a new set made. She was told all of this would happen when she had the dentures made 5 years ago. Of course she expected any work to be free since they "weren't made right" in the first place. Spoiler alert--that didn't happen.

You and I could swap stories for days! ;)
I read the stories on notalwaysright.com to make myself feel better after a rough day :D

Mar 17, 2015
I especially enjoy the people that come into our office and are in "desperate" need of help, but then seem to never pay their bill. If you ever wondered why accountants and lawyers require retainers in many instances, you would be surprised by how many people will utilize your services and then not pay.

Apr 10, 2017
I especially enjoy the people that come into our office and are in "desperate" need of help, but then seem to never pay their bill. If you ever wondered why accountants and lawyers require retainers in many instances, you would be surprised by how many people will utilize your services and then not pay.
That wouldn't surprise me at all. So many people will do whatever they can to get out of paying.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

OMG, Krisseye, what a wonderful post! Y'all out there on the front lines surely see the worst in people. The onion pizza lady is prime ... who would even THINK that up? Sicko.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you so much for your reply, your time, and your advice, jsn55!

To answer your first question..... I'm actually not sure. I used my PayPal Debit Card for Businesses (it can be used as a credit card, as well, as long as you have the funds in your account). I suppose I should try to look up whether it offers any of the perks that you mentioned.

Oh, also, I can't remember if I mentioned this in my initial post, but on the Google Pixel and Pixel XL, there is a feature that lets you submit feedback along with a bug report any time that a bug occurs, which I would do just about any time that the option was there and I had the chace (i.e. was not in a frantic rush, or anything. I can't remember if that option would present itself after ALL of the different types of bugs that I would get... I'm particularly thinking about the ones that crashed the operating system of the whole phone). Either way, they SHOULD have a good number of reports submitted by me. Another fun little fact is that I worked in QA for 8 years at Rockstar Games NYC, so submitting bug reports is like second nature to me, haha..... I think that in some cases, I may have even included "Steps to Reproduce", lol.

In regards to finding out if others have had any of the same kinds of issues that I have, my only resource, really, is just to browse the web. Although, the way that I stumbled onto this very site was by doing that and seeing a post about a google phone that sounded like it had some very similar issues (minus the cracked screen). I think my biggest worry IS that I fear they will think that I am full of it, or something like that.... which is why I am really hoping that those bug submissions went somewhere that customer care has access to.

Oh, and it's funny, I only just saw the last part of your response re: them having a record, but, yes, as I prematurely mentioned above, they SHOULD have a rather large record of a lot of the issues I had (depending on how they handle incoming reports, etc).

It's a shame that we live in a world where one's first thought, in a case like this (when playing the role of the company representative), is that the customer is either bending the truth or flat out lying to get what they want as opposed to just having faith that the company will treat them well and do whatever they can to help out. As I mentioned in my original post, up until this phone, I had ONLY had iPhones since the very first model. One year I did something incredibly stupid and walked RIGHT into a pool with the iPhone in my pocket! I went to the cloesest Apple Store as soon as I could (we were on vacation in someplace like Nantucket and had to wait til we hit mainland). Instead of trying to "pull a fast one" on the Apple Store employee who assisted me, I walked in, told him that I wasn't going to try and B.S. him, and that I had literally just walked into a pool with the phone in my pocket! lol. I am not sure if it was just because he was a nice guy or because he appreciated the honesty, but he really helped me out that day (this was probably 10 years ago) and literally gave me a brand spanking new replacement phone right then and there! If only things were that easy, now!

Anyways, I apologize for the lengthy response, but I hope I answered all of your questions and hopefully painted an even clearer image of what is going on.

Thank you SO much for your time and help. It is very much appreciated! I hope you have a wonderful rest of the day and an amazing weekend!

All the best,

Peter F. Woloszyn
Rarely do we have an OP who 'saves himself' Peter, but you've definitely done that. I am so happy to read your latest post. With the 'bug reports' you have an established trail so you shouldn't have any issues at all getting the thing replaced.

Having said that, you WILL have issues getting a replacement. And you will be polite, patient and PERSISTENT. Eventually somebody will realize you're not giving up, you have a valid case. They count on the fact that "you can't live without your phone" and make you all kinds of strange offers, all of them costing you a great deal of money.

In the meantime, buy a Tracfone and some minutes and carry on.