Global entry

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 17, 2019
I will be traveling to Israel and France this year. The Global Entry website does not list Israel nor France as participating with Global Entry. Will registering and paying for Global Entry provide any benefits for my travels?

Sep 20, 2015
GE applies regardless of which country you are arriving from. If you're a US citizen and are accepted for GE, you can use the expedited arrival without issue. The list of countries on the GE website is for nationals of those countries.

Sep 19, 2015
GE is only for returning to the US. You will still have to wait in the appropriate customs/ immigration lines in France and Israel.

It is not just registering and paying to be GE. there is an interview and scanning of fingerprints. The processing is slowed because of the government shutdown.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The only benefits you will receive with GE is in the US airport you are leaving from if they have a security line for GE. Some airlines offers TSA pre-check and if the airline you use offers it on your outgoing flight, you will save time on the security line. Otherwise, the only other time you will use it is when you return back to the US to eliminate the long customs line. It isn't valid in Europe unless you are in a country that offers customs there before arriving home (think Ireland).

There is a process to apply - you must undergo a background check and then you must make an appointment to go to your local airport (or other office they might have in your area) to be fingerprinted and have your passport scanned. The wait for appointments can be months away depending on your airport and with the government shutdown, it is worse.

You can also use Automated Passport Control for free. You add the app on your phone and can scan yourself in at the airport and forgo the lines as well.

There is information here on it:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/apc

Sep 27, 2018
Look at it this way, GE is only $3 more per year than TSA precheck and you get the benefit of TSA precheck and faster customs processing. It can be really helpful at US airports that have a number of international flights arriving. However, it does not help with getting your checked bags any faster to finish customs.

Sep 12, 2018
You can also use Automated Passport Control for free. You add the app on your phone and can scan yourself in at the airport and forgo the lines as well.

There is information here on it:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/apc
I flew into Atlanta in November and December, neither time were the automated machines in use. In November the regular line was ridiculously long, so I quickly downloaded the app on my phone, submitted my info, went to the "Mobile Passport" line which only had 3 people in it. In December the regular line was short and I opted not to use the app, and that time the Mobile Passport line was super long. I fly internationally about once a year and have not applied for Global Entry yet since most of the time the wait isn't that bad, but it more depends on which American airport will be your first entry into the US and how many international flights do they normally handle.

Sep 20, 2015
Look at it this way, GE is only $3 more per year than TSA precheck and you get the benefit of TSA precheck and faster customs processing. It can be really helpful at US airports that have a number of international flights arriving. However, it does not help with getting your checked bags any faster to finish customs.
Yes, you're right, but the downside is that it's logistically more complex. For precheck, there are tons of 3rd party locations where you can get fingerprinted. For GE, you need an interview, background checks and fingerprinting, and you need to go to a TSA or Customs office or airport to get this done. It depends on how much you travel outside the country. And, if you're flying, the TSA app or kiosk really helps speed things up.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I will be traveling to Israel and France this year. The Global Entry website does not list Israel nor France as participating with Global Entry. Will registering and paying for Global Entry provide any benefits for my travels?
If you are likely to travel internationally once a year, GE is worth getting. It does require an interview that can be done at almost any major US airport but not a smaller regional airport. If you are not near a major airport there are other locations offered for interviews. I suggest you look at the GE web site to see what is involved and where you can get an interview. You gain TSA precheck for the full 5 years as well. We have entered via major airports such as Houston and Newark and gotten through to baggage claim in under 10 minutes regularly. We are on our second renewal of GE and will certainly renew again.

May 16, 2016
If you fly domestically a lot, and internationally once or twice a year, it's completely worth getting GE for the extra $15. And if your closest airport doesn't have a CBP office where you can do the interview, it's easy enough to schedule it at an airport where you'll be traveling to or connecting through on a domestic flight. Also, most European airlines do participate with TSA Pre now, so that will speed you through pre-flight security on your outbound flight to France (and possibly Israel, depending on which airline you're flying - the list of participating airlines is on the TSA Pre-Check Web site).

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you are considering pre-check only it is worth another $15 for global entry even if you only fly once a year internationally. But you have to understand exactly what global entry offers- it does nothing overseas, it’s when you return to the US and can bypass the immigration lines and just scan your passport that it pays for itself.

Apr 23, 2018
There is a new additional way for GE applicants who are already conditionally approved to complete their interview when they are arriving back into the USA from overseas. I received the following email from CBP the other day:

Dear Global Entry Applicant,
In lieu of scheduling an appointment at a Global Entry Enrollment Center, you have the unique opportunity to interview for Global Entry when you return from your next international trip at one of several international airports in the United States and Canada. Enrollment on Arrival is ONLY available if you are arriving from an international trip and will be completed during the arrival process.
What is Enrollment on Arrival?
With Enrollment on Arrival, Global Entry applicants who are conditionally approved can complete their interviews, the last step of the Global Entry process, while they are clearing through United States Customs and Border Protection or Preclearance. This options is now available at:

• Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
  • Baltimore/Washington International Airport (MWI)
  • Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF)
  • Calgary International Airport (YYC)
  • Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
  • Chicago Midway Airport (MDW)
  • Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG)
  • Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
  • Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Detroit Metropolitan International Airport (DTW)
  • Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
  • Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
  • George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) in Houston
  • Halifax International Airport (YHZ)
  • Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
  • Honolulu International Airport (HNL)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York (JFK)
  • John Wayne International Airport (SNA) in Orange County, CA
  • Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
  • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
  • Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY)
  • Metropolitan Oakland International Airport (OAK)
  • McCarren International Airport (LAS) in Las Vegas
  • Miami International Airport (MIA)
  • Minneapolis St. Paul International Airport (MSP)
  • Montreal-Pierre Elliot Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)
  • O’Hare International Airport (ORD) in Chicago
  • Orlando International Airport (MCO)
  • Orlando Sanford International Airport (SFB)
  • Ottawa International Airport (YOW)
  • Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Portland International Airport (PDX)
  • Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
  • Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
  • San Antonio International Airport (SAT)
  • San Diego International Airport (SAN)
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
  • Seattle Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
  • St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL)
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA)
  • Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (ANC)
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
  • Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
  • William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) in Houston
  • Winnipeg James Armstrong international Airport (YWG)
A list of participating airports can be located on the CBP.gov website. Check the website for updated participating airports. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/enrollment-arrival
What do I do when I land in the international terminal? Follow the signage directing you to CBP officers who can complete your Global Entry interview during your admissibility inspection. You won't need any additional documents other than the requisite documents for international travel (e.g., your passport).
If you would like to save time and effort, then join thousands of other Global Entry applicants who are conditionally approved and participate in Enrollment on Arrival.

Jan 22, 2015
Colorado
Just as a warning. I recently returned from a trip to Egypt. I have GE. My friend does not. He was conditionally approved for GE. He tried to do the interview when we returned. He was told that they were not doing interviews that day for arriving passengers due to the shut down. (JFK airport)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Just as a warning. I recently returned from a trip to Egypt. I have GE. My friend does not. He was conditionally approved for GE. He tried to do the interview when we returned. He was told that they were not doing interviews that day for arriving passengers due to the shut down. (JFK airport)
That’s the problem now- until the government employees start getting paid this is another service that is being cut back. Thanks for mentioning it.

Oct 4, 2018
Just an FYI.... You must have a SPOTLESS record to be approved for GE. If you do, it's definitely worth the extra few bucks over TSA pre-check if you ever fly internationally. In my case, I had a DWI over 30 years ago that disqualified me. I've heard of people who had a minor shoplifting charge when they were a teenager prevent them from being approved. And, if you aren't approved, you don't get refunded for the $100 application fee. So, in short, if you have EVER been arrested for ANYTHING, you probably should just skip GE. :/