Global entry revocation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 4, 2019
My global entry card was revoked within weeks of trump presidency. I had had it for only a month. Had not even left the country. The letter simply said I no longer met the requirement.

I went to CBP office at BWI airport. An agent took my card and ran through it, not seeing anything, he said it was easy for him to fix. After trying and he could not fix it, he went to his supervisor. When he returned, he said it was beyond them Because there was no reason in the system for a revocation.

I wrote the ombudsman. No reply. I need help or advise.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Please read understand Global Entry is a privilege and not a right. They may have found something in a background check or something in your passport history that raised a flag. It could be something as simple as declaring you are bringing nothing in the country and them finding an orange in your luggage.

These are reasons that GE can be revoked or not granted. Do any of these apply?

The US Customs and Border Protection Program can deny Global Entry for the following reasons:

1. Provide false or incomplete information on the application;
  2. Have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges or outstanding warrants (to include driving under the influence); ( please note it can be an arrest from many years ago)
  3. Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;
  4. Are the subject of an ongoing investigation by any federal, state or local law enforcement agency;
  5. Are inadmissible to the United States under immigration regulation, including applicants with approved waivers of inadmissibility or parole documentation; or
  6. Cannot satisfy CBP of your low-risk status.

Sep 19, 2015
There were many reports in the news that GE was revoked for people who had been to or where born in countries that were on the travel ban list put in by the president.

You may want to contact some of the advocacies that have been looking into this and who have done some research through Freedom of Information.

Nov 4, 2019
Please read understand Global Entry is a privilege and not a right. They may have found something in a background check or something in your passport history that raised a flag. It could be something as simple as declaring you are bringing nothing in the country and them finding an orange in your luggage.

These are reasons that GE can be revoked or not granted. Do any of these apply?

The US Customs and Border Protection Program can deny Global Entry for the following reasons:

1. Provide false or incomplete information on the application;
  2. Have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges or outstanding warrants (to include driving under the influence); ( please note it can be an arrest from many years ago)
  3. Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;
  4. Are the subject of an ongoing investigation by any federal, state or local law enforcement agency;
  5. Are inadmissible to the United States under immigration regulation, including applicants with approved waivers of inadmissibility or parole documentation; or
  6. Cannot satisfy CBP of your low-risk status.
As I said, I went to CBP office and they checked the system. When u are in violation, they tell u what u did. An officer , after checking, not seeing anything tried and when he could not fix it, took my case to a supervisor and the supervisor said it was beyond them because there was nothing in the system to for them to forgive or not to forgive. Nothing to say yes or no to. I had had it one month. If there's a violation, they tell u the violation and then take away the privilege.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They may not necessarily know in the office why it was revoked. As the officer told you- it is beyond them as there was nothing in the system THEY could see- but there may be something beyond that.

As you can see from the prior issue we had- this wasn’t anything we could advocate.

If you google Global Entry revocation there are attorneys that take in cases like this. You might want to go the legal route.

Apr 3, 2016
Trump presidency happened 3 years ago. Why have you waited 3ish years to pursue this? I am going to guess if you only had it a month, something slipped by them on initial investigation ( or into was late getting to them). you may never find out what it is. You could pursue it with a lawyer, you could maybe apply again since it has been 3 years (?) or you could just live without it. You may be able to use the mobile passport app in its place.

Mar 17, 2015
Not really sure there is a lawsuit, as you would have to prove harm. You can still travel, can still go through customs, you just don't have some added benefits. As another mentioned, this is a privilege, not a right to receive and/or keep Global Entry.

May 30, 2019
I know this doesn't solve the core problem, but a decent workaround would be to get TSAPre for domestic flights and use Mobile Passport when returning to the US. While I can't talk to other airports, lately entry @ JFK has been faster with Mobile Passport compared to Global Entry.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I know this doesn't solve the core problem, but a decent workaround would be to get TSAPre for domestic flights and use Mobile Passport when returning to the US. While I can't talk to other airports, lately entry @ JFK has been faster with Mobile Passport compared to Global Entry.
It OP was rejected for GE, he or she may not be eligible for TSA precheck.

May 30, 2019
It OP was rejected for GE, he or she may not be eligible for TSA precheck.
Neil, I agree, OP may not be eligible. There are a few 3rd party sites that suggest that people can get TSAPre even if denied GE (here is one on FT).

Also, here are some tips from The Points Guy regarding GE denial appeal. What makes the OP's situation unusual is not being provided the reason for denial. That is beyond my realm of knowledge. I'd suggest -- but not as an SME -- filing a formal appeal.

Sep 19, 2015
The OP can file a Freedom of Information but so much may be redacted that it is useless.

It is entirely possible that the OP did nothing wrong and GE was revoked on basis of where born or countries traveled even if a US citizen. The criteria changed with the ‘banned countries’ issue.

A lawyer may help navigate the system but it would be costly and may yield nothing more than the applicant no longer meets the requirements.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
FYI.... I found were a blog applied for and received a list of all of the GE revocations... If you want a laugh, take a read at some of the reason people lost their membership. https://docs.google.com/viewerng/vi...s/2018/04/GE-Revoked-Memberships.pdf&hl=en_US
I am not sure why this one is so funny to me:

On 11/11/2016 you were issued a $500 penalty for failing to declare: 2 whole pummelo fruits.

If it were 2 half pummelo fruits, would they let it slide?!?!!!

Feb 11, 2018
FYI.... I found were a blog applied for and received a list of all of the GE revocations... If you want a laugh, take a read at some of the reason people lost their membership. https://docs.google.com/viewerng/vi...s/2018/04/GE-Revoked-Memberships.pdf&hl=en_US
Looks like a DUI will surely get someone kicked off. Other major crimes include "smuggling" a piece of fruit (advice--eat it before you go through customs; if it's inside you, it doesn't count--unlike drugs).

Jan 25, 2016
I am not sure why this one is so funny to me:

On 11/11/2016 you were issued a $500 penalty for failing to declare: 2 whole pummelo fruits.

If it were 2 half pummelo fruits, would they let it slide?!?!!!
Bureaucratic speak in action...not to mention that the name of the fruit is Pomelo. ;)

I like the "You do not hold a valid U.S. citizenship or legal permanent resident status and are no longer eligible for Global Entry. --> Revoked"

So, how did said individuals get GE in the first place??? There are 14 of these listed together on the bottom of page 11, including one who is indicated as being a US citizen. o_O

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Customs is VERY strict about bringing in food from other countries, especially produce. Anyone old enough to remember the Mediterranean fruit fly that was brought into California on an orange, or something like that?

Feb 3, 2019
I like the "You do not hold a valid U.S. citizenship or legal permanent resident status and are no longer eligible for Global Entry. --> Revoked"

So, how did said individuals get GE in the first place???
Easy - they were citizens or (more likely) legal residents when they enrolled in GE, and have since lost that status.

While renouncing U.S. citizenship is a complicated process, it is far easier to abandon one's legal resident status voluntarily. A legal resident who stays outside the United States for more than a year will also generally lose their status. In any case, they may not understand that makes them ineligible for GE.