Global Entry Renewal

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 3, 2019
I read Elliott's article in WaPo, and hoped someone might give me some insight. It's been 11 weeks since I applied for GOES renewal which their website shows started on May 17th 2019. My status says "pending review." I can't seem to get info from CBP other than standard computer generated replies. Do you think I should have gotten a renewal by now? or does anyone know how to speak with a human at GOES. Thanks

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
There are significant delays in processing of GE applications because of the stuff going on at the borders and officers being sent down there. The government website says renewals are taking up to 100 days. Hopefully they won’t mandate another interview which would delay if even more.

Here is a link to the government website:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...er-application-for-review.-did-cbp-receive-my

You can download mobile passport on your phone and use that when coming back to the US in airports that offer it. It’s almost as good as GE in bypassing the lines.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
We have GE but in June used the Passport App when returning to the US thru SFO. All immigration lines jammed with people, GE area a couple dozen and the new Passport App was empty, just us! It was pretty cool :)

Jun 24, 2019
We returned from New Zealand and Australia on Memorial Day at LAX. From door opening to on the curb was 25 minutes. It took as long then to get a Lyft. Global Entry was great.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We returned from New Zealand and Australia on Memorial Day at LAX. From door opening to on the curb was 25 minutes. It took as long then to get a Lyft. Global Entry was great.
Invariably our luggage is the last off the plane and we are still there after everyone without GE has come through immigration and gotten their bags.

Aug 29, 2018
The best for me was 8 minutes from door-opening to curb, SFO on a flight from London. And that was with three checked bags.

The worst was (back in 1983, so pre-GE, etc.) 4 hours at JFK waiting for bags on a flight from LGW. I had but one checked bag, and they trickled out, maybe 2 per minute on the belt.

Aug 29, 2018
Forgot to note my point about this. Oops.

The issue is you are trying to optimize your waiting time. There are several steps when you get off an aircraft on an international arrival:

1. Queue to get out the door of the aircraft. (This is a choke point, not everyone gets off at once. If the average is one person every two seconds, it takes over 10 minutes for the last person to get off a flight with 300 people.)

2. Walk to the passport check. In some airports this can be quite the hike.

3. Queue for check. This is where Global Entry optimizes arrival.

4. Show passport, be granted entry.

5. Proceed to baggage claim.

6. Wait for baggage on conveyor belt.

Meanwhile, as you perform steps 1-6 airport staff is opening the hold, unloading baggage, sorting for connections/delivery (in the US all baggage is delivered, the US is one of the few countries that requires you to claim your bag at the port of entry.) and deliver to the conveyor belt. At some airports, this is fast. At others (New York Port Authority, I am looking at you) it can be very slow.

So, if you are going to end up waiting for baggage, how much of a benefit is Global Entry? If you fly business or first class (early off the plane, shorter border check queue) it is less than you might think, unless you also do not check luggage (eliminating step 6.) . If you fly coach it may be of benefit if the arrival airport is reasonably efficient at unloading an aircraft. But normally, the question becomes, "Where would I rather wait?" Is it worth it to pay to spend more waiting time for luggage and less for border check?

Obviously, it is a win for the very light traveler who does not check luggage.

In my opinion though, the big win for Global Entry is not the global entry aspect -- it is the inclusion of pre-check.

Feb 12, 2019
Global entry is a huge win if you fly from Canada to the US. (Nexus works too, though your interview options are only on the border so it can be harder to get for people not on border.) The major Canadian airports have US customs in the airport. So you go through Canadian airport security then US customs before you can go to your flight. With this set up it's a lot easier to miss a flight. My last two flights out of Toronto they held the flight because of a mass amount stuck in backed up customs, but I believed we left some behind both times once the numbers left was small enough they could be accommodated on later flights. Once we waited over 2 hours - so imagine how long the customs line had to be! Both times from dropoff to gate took me under 15 minutes with GE.

Aug 20, 2017
GE expired in February for both my wife and I. Unfortunately I hadn't realized it expires in 5 years so when we flew in March, I couldn't figure out why we didn't have PreCheck. So in early April I sent in renewal applications for both of us. My wife's GE card came in a few weeks, but I'm still "pending review" 4 months later.

My guess is the hold-up is because I forgot to list Belgium as a county I visited since the last card. We flew out of Brussels, so they could easily check that via an automated process. I did my wife's application second and included Belgium. There is no way for me to go back and modify my application, so I have to wait for the process to accept me or call me in for an interview. I listed plenty of other western European countries, but apparently missing Belgium will cause extra reviews.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
GE expired in February for both my wife and I. Unfortunately I hadn't realized it expires in 5 years so when we flew in March, I couldn't figure out why we didn't have PreCheck. So in early April I sent in renewal applications for both of us. My wife's GE card came in a few weeks, but I'm still "pending review" 4 months later.

My guess is the hold-up is because I forgot to list Belgium as a county I visited since the last card. We flew out of Brussels, so they could easily check that via an automated process. I did my wife's application second and included Belgium. There is no way for me to go back and modify my application, so I have to wait for the process to accept me or call me in for an interview. I listed plenty of other western European countries, but apparently missing Belgium will cause extra reviews.
This seems far-fetched, you wouldn't think that Belgium (or the lack thereof) on the app would be a red flag, but we ARE dealing with the government! Good luck getting it all straight soon ... and please post your experiences once you have it. These are the little things about travelling which can throw a monkey-wrench at a traveller ... so the more we know, the better we can help others.

Aug 29, 2018
Global entry is a huge win if you fly from Canada to the US. (Nexus works too, though your interview options are only on the border so it can be harder to get for people not on border.) The major Canadian airports have US customs in the airport. So you go through Canadian airport security then US customs before you can go to your flight. With this set up it's a lot easier to miss a flight. My last two flights out of Toronto they held the flight because of a mass amount stuck in backed up customs, but I believed we left some behind both times once the numbers left was small enough they could be accommodated on later flights. Once we waited over 2 hours - so imagine how long the customs line had to be! Both times from dropoff to gate took me under 15 minutes with GE.
Good point. My description only applies for when one flies in from an airport that does not allow pre-clearance. In addition to Canada, that is Aruba, Bahamas, Ireland and UAE (Abu Dhabi only)

Aug 20, 2017
GE expired in February for both my wife and I. So in early April I sent in renewal applications for both of us. My wife's GE card came in a few weeks, but I'm still "pending review" 4 months later.
Still in pending status, but I apparently have PreCheck again. I continue to put my known traveler into every reservation. In June we both had PreCheck for a domestic trip on United and I just checked in for an international trip on Lufthansa and see I have PreCheck again. So I'm apparently getting something for the $100 I paid for the renewal application. Actual Global Entry would be more convenient, but I will give Mobile Passport a try when we return to Tampa.

Jan 3, 2019
Same situation here. I reapplied back in March 2019 since it will be expiring in March 2020 and it's still processing. Also try the Mobile Passport App. I hear that is pretty good.

Aug 20, 2017
Also try the Mobile Passport App. I hear that is pretty good.
Mobile Passport was great when arriving in Tampa. It took several tries to get the TSA line minder to understand I was saying Mobile Passport rather than Global Entry. The Global Entry machines were down and she was trying to get me to wait for 1 of the generic entry machines. There was nobody else with Mobile Passport ready and we were next. So we had plenty of time to go to the toilets before bags starting coming out. I decided to pay for a year of the app to make it easy for next time. I have almost lost hope that they will start processing my renewal application.

Sep 12, 2019
There are significant delays in processing of GE applications because of the stuff going on at the borders and officers being sent down there. The government website says renewals are taking up to 100 days. Hopefully they won’t mandate another interview which would delay if even more.

Here is a link to the government website:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...er-application-for-review.-did-cbp-receive-my

You can download mobile passport on your phone and use that when coming back to the US in airports that offer it. It’s almost as good as GE in bypassing the lines.
My GE renewal has be "conditionally approved." I was instructed to attend an interview, but there are no appointments available in my state or neighboring states. Other than "registering on arrival" or whatever it is called, how can I renew.
Obviously being told that I need to attend an interview but that CBP won't schedule one is more than a little frustrating.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My GE renewal has be "conditionally approved." I was instructed to attend an interview, but there are no appointments available in my state or neighboring states. Other than "registering on arrival" or whatever it is called, how can I renew.
Obviously being told that I need to attend an interview but that CBP won't schedule one is more than a little frustrating.
This is the problem. You always have to have an in person appointment to be fingerprinted and processed. What state are you in?

Sep 19, 2015
Are you traveling anytime soon? Will you be entering on an international ticket? Perhaps do the on arrival interview which you mentioned.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/enrollment-arrival

The problem is the backlog from the government shut down. I am sure the employees found the shut down frustrating but this is the result of political action.

Keep checking for cancellations -- they do happen.

When one has to interview for a renew there is nothing that can be done except keep checking.