Global Entry Program

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 19, 2017
JSN55 - The information was put in correctly. I did it twice and so did my husband. At least one of those times had to be correct (we have the information written on a paper so we won't forget it.) I even tried different pages to enter the system. Their system sucks. It is not the least bit user friendly. You have hit on one reason why I limit my interactions with internet entities - they don't care about their customers. For example - I prefer to go to a local bank and deal with live people, and not deal with an internet bank.

Oh and as far as the guidelines and rules, I can follow them if I know what they are, but on this site they seem to be a secret. Nowhere that I can see does it say every applicant must have a unique email address.

Jvillegirl541 - your husband sounds just like mine. We've been married for 40+ years. You are right - God help this man if something happens to me.

Feb 19, 2017
MMB you obviously don't read. I posted that nowhere that I can find does the site say you must have a unique email address. Further more, I don't appreciate your condescending, snarky attitude.

My poor Hubby is clueless. I set up his email, applied for his Global Entry and renewed his passport. He wonders about that noise he keeps hearing (it's his cell phone ringing).

Anyway my highly educated Hubby of 43 yrs is clueless when it comes to computers, internet and my old iPhone that is now in his pocket. And his fancy new car with all the bells and whistles.... oh my it's a wonder he can even turn it on.
Many married couples are like us and heaven help this man if something happens to me.
It's tough being the resident tech geek, isn't it! My Significant Other is still using AOL's browser for everything. When it hiccups (about twice a day) I get her working with Firefox, Edge or Chrome but, sure enough, the next day she's back on the "You've got mail" dinosaur. I'd sure like someone to give me back the many hours of my life that I've spent calmly dealing with this stuff.

For @Babs, the other day my SO couldn't log on to one of her sites. i discovered that she had the "Caps Lock" on!

Most local Senior Centers and many libraries have beginners' and remedial computer courses and they're usually open to all ages. Sometimes they're helpful.

Oct 13, 2015
https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/enrollment/goes1/RegisteredBeforePreAction.do

I don't know how to make it clickable but it's the URL for the first page of Global Entry enrollment (I am not the resident geek in my household =). At the bottom in red it says:

!!!!!Warning!!!!!
Using multiple GOES accounts to submit more than one application
for the same person may result in the possible delay or denial of both applications.

I believe websites count each e-mail address as an account. Maybe this is what's causing the problem?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Applied one time for me under my email and one time for Hubby under an email I use for his "official" accounts. It's pretty common to need seperate email accounts. And am use to needing to do this for Hubby (healthcare seems to also work this way).
Life would be so much simpler if he could do this himself. Don't want to think about all the extra passwords this requires me to keep track of.
Good luck, our Global Entry nearest office is 7+ hrs to the South or 6 hrs to the north. Interviews have been arranged for planned flights thru any airport on the West Coast we need to travel thru. Last time we flew out of LA and went to the airport early for our interview. Hoping we won't have to play those games to renue.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
JSN55 - The information was put in correctly. I did it twice and so did my husband. At least one of those times had to be correct (we have the information written on a paper so we won't forget it.) I even tried different pages to enter the system. Their system sucks. It is not the least bit user friendly. You have hit on one reason why I limit my interactions with internet entities - they don't care about their customers. For example - I prefer to go to a local bank and deal with live people, and not deal with an internet bank.

Oh and as far as the guidelines and rules, I can follow them if I know what they are, but on this site they seem to be a secret. Nowhere that I can see does it say every applicant must have a unique email address.

Jvillegirl541 - your husband sounds just like mine. We've been married for 40+ years. You are right - God help this man if something happens to me.
Oh, this is SO frustrating. And of course I agree with you, the system is awful. Any "government entity" system is awful. They just assume we're all related to Steve Jobs. Have patience, Global Entry is worth it everyone says. And for the record, I think I'm married to JVille's husband's twin. Please keep us updated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I'm kinda thinking god help you both.
When using the internet/websites you need to realize it's a computer not a human. You need to adjust your attitude and realize you are just as smart as everyone else and you can figure it out too.
If not, then resort to your failsafe and visit a global entry office -- if that is even possible.
When the site says you must have a unique email address -- even if it is during the process --- then stop fighting it and do it.
That's a little harsh. Not everyone is computer savvy. She came here for assistance.

Feb 19, 2017
That's a little harsh. Not everyone is computer savvy. She came here for assistance.
Thank you Neil. You're right. I came here for assistance, not criticism.

I have used computers since the days when I had to make up punch cards and put them in a mainframe. I wrote my own programs before the days of PCs and used the mainframe at the college where I taught. However, the programs have gotten so complex that it's impossible to keep up, especially since every website is different.

Younger people who grew up with computers have no patience with those of us who didn't. I don't have grandchildren who can help me and the classes someone suggested are way too basic on computer usage. My problem comes when a site is not user friendly, like the government sites. I hear the gov is so far behind that some people are still using DOS in their offices.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Just a word of warning.......once you get tentative approval for Global Entry, the available appointments for interviews in most places are 6 months out! I had to re-schedule my interview due to illness and the next available appointment is June 2017. I originally scheduled my appointment last summer (2016) for the first available appointment in late January (2017).

One problem you may be having is trying to set up your husband's account from the same computer. If I remember correctly, I tried to do the same for my husband with his own email address but from my computer and it said I could not. At that point, I dropped the whole process and will let my husband take care of the application himself.

Feb 19, 2017
We set up an account. It let him put in user name, password, security questions, etc., and welcomed him to the system but now refuses to acknowledge his account. I've tried calling, but, of course, all you get is a busy signal. I repeat what I said earlier, they have been really encouraging you to sign up (when we go through the airports they mention that we should) but then make it impossible to do so.

We only have one computer, so if we need another one - ain't gonna happen. Many of my friends don't even have computers.

We are trying to sign up because of our experience last month in the Atlanta airport. There were hundreds of people in line ahead of us for the kiosks for customs/immigration. There were long lines for every stage of reentering the US. It took approximately 90 min and I hear it is going to get worse. I always leave a minimum of 3 hours layover coming back into the US, but some less savvy travelers followed the advice of the airlines who told them one hour was plenty and missed connecting flights.

Last edited:

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Good for you for paying attention to layover times! Oye.......if you could read all the problems we've seen because people did not give themselves any wiggle room between flights.

So, I am stumped on this one. I believe this is the first time we have come across this on the forum so we are anxious to see what the problem/solution is. In my case, I spent hardly a minute on the sign up process when I got to the roadblock and just stopped right there. My husband understands computers/computer programs and can sign up for GE himself! Your last post disproves what I thought was the problem in my situation.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
So many things are online now. It really hamstrings those who don't have access or who aren't computer savvy. The sad thing us oftentimes there aren't viable alternatives available, and that's a real shame.

@Babs I apologize for some of the comments and I wish you luck working through this problem.

Feb 9, 2016
@Babs you say the system is refusing to acknowledge his account.....

To me that sounds like the account processing, something didn't complete. Have you tried opening a 'new' account with the same information to see if there is actually an account with that email? The system will tell you 'account already registered with that email address' if it recognizes the email.

Also, did you check the actual email account you registered? These days the system will send you a 'verify this email address' link to the actual account you identified, and you have to click it to verify that it's a real, presumably monitored, account. @Patina and anyone, did you have to verify the email account by clicking on a link sent to that email account?

lastly, what exactly does the error message say?

Feb 19, 2017
Well I'll try to explain as best as I can. the site took all his information and said he had an account established. At least that's what we understood. I'm afraid to try to open a new account with the same information because of the warning against having more than one account (see posting above).

We received a 'verify this address' for the new address I created for him in my email. I'm having his email forwarded to mine. Neither of us has received an address verification request from Global Entry.

Well, after typing the above I decided to get brave and try to create another account. I had to change the password he had chosen, but have been able to get in. I'm filling in the application before the system changes it's mind. Application completed and paid for, now we'll see if we can access the account in the future. I still think he has two accounts, but if it doesn't bother them (???) it doesn't bother me.

Feb 19, 2017
Have finally gotten through and we have interviews set up. Just a warning to anyone wanting to join this program, the first interviews we could get were mid-December. Since we hoped to be in the program for our November trip to Mexico, it's not very helpful. I guess for future trips . . .