Global Entry Interview

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 13, 2020
I have applied for the Global Entry Card for international travel. My application has been accepted and I am now trying to get an interview to complete the process. I live in northern California and the closest office is at San Francisco airport. It appears the soonest appointment for my interview is in November of this year. I am traveling In June and was hoping to get this card for my trip. Can someone assist me with this matter.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We can only suggest that you schedule that appointment and check to see if there are any cancellations.

If you travel before that, simply download the Mobile Passport app on your phone. That gives you expedited entrance back into the US when you return. Not as fast as GE but it’s better then the regular line.

Jan 13, 2020
Another option is to check, daily, for cancellations of appointments. The first time I applied for Global Entry, at SFO, I found an appointment within the week while all others were taken for months. Also, I have renewed using the "Enrollment on Arrival" at SJC. I had to request it, no signs there at the time (a year or so ago), but it was there and worked.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The other enrollment centers listed are in Southern California.
LAX still might have appointments earlier then Nov.
It might also be less of a drive to Vegas.

It’s a little ridiculous that a state as large as California only has 4 enrollment centers. I think the OP should keep checking to see if there are any cancellations. But having GE is not imperative to traveling internationally - you only need it to save time returning to the US and mobile passport is almost as good.

Aug 29, 2018
LAX still might have appointments earlier then Nov.
It might also be less of a drive to Vegas.

It’s a little ridiculous that a state as large as California only has 4 enrollment centers. I think the OP should keep checking to see if there are any cancellations. But having GE is not imperative to traveling internationally - you only need it to save time returning to the US and mobile passport is almost as good.
I am in the same boat, and I agree. I checked LAX -- booked. I checked San Diego -- booked. I checked Long Beach -- booked . Portland had interviews in December. So I booked a quick flight to Las Vegas for the interview in March.

It is not "a little" ridiculous. It is absolutely ridiculous that in many years of the trusted traveler program they have been unable to get the personnel to perform the interviews in California.

Apr 1, 2018
I am in the same boat, and I agree. I checked LAX -- booked. I checked San Diego -- booked. I checked Long Beach -- booked . Portland had interviews in December. So I booked a quick flight to Las Vegas for the interview in March.

It is not "a little" ridiculous. It is absolutely ridiculous that in many years of the trusted traveler program they have been unable to get the personnel to perform the interviews in California.
I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but in California, especially LAX, the delays are due to staff being redeployed to the Mexican border. See the link to a LA Times article below.

LAX’s Global Entry Enrollment Center is closed because staff is at the border

Aug 29, 2018
I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but in California, especially LAX, the delays are due to staff being redeployed to the Mexican border. See the link to a LA Times article below.

LAX’s Global Entry Enrollment Center is closed because staff is at the border
That is an excuse -- but after years of delays, this should have been fixed. No other border state has similar delays. You can get interviews in Texas in a couple months, in Arizona in a couple months.

There are five interview locations in California (about 40,000,000 people.) . There are five in Arizona and ten in Texas. Waits in California are long because the DHS has not provided adequate personnel to do the job. Anything else is just an excuse.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We are paying an added security fee tax on every ticket that is supposed to be going towards funding airport security since 2013 had been going towards our US budget deficit instead. And the 2020 budget proposes to up that tax.

Get on your Congressional Reps to stop using that money and put it where it is supposed to go.

Jun 24, 2019
I don't think the current administration is going to be much concerned with the travails of California residents. And I can talk with our Congressman (i see him and talk with him multiple times per year), but his influence over the administration's policies is zero. Our two senators have similarly low influence. The Global Entry program is supposed to be self-supporting, but if the staff is diverted even though we are paying for it, there's not much more I can do.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't think the current administration is going to be much concerned with the travails of California residents. And I can talk with our Congressman (i see him and talk with him multiple times per year), but his influence over the administration's policies is zero. Our two senators have similarly low influence. The Global Entry program is supposed to be self-supporting, but if the staff is diverted even though we are paying for it, there's not much more I can do.
The money not going to airport security has nothing to do with the current administration. This began in 2013 when the airport tax was raised and the raised amount went fi the deficit instead of where it is supposed to go.

Your Reps. are aware of it. And they aren’t doing a thing about it.

Jun 24, 2019
The money not going to airport security has nothing to do with the current administration. This began in 2013 when the airport tax was raised and the raised amount went fi the deficit instead of where it is supposed to go.

Your Reps. are aware of it. And they aren’t doing a thing about it.
The fees paid for the global entry card were supposed to be used to run the program.